Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster 48 year 2016 burning oil and blowing white smoke.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:49 AM
Rashmeet
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster 48 year 2016 burning oil and blowing white smoke.

Thanx for reading. Hi i own a sportster 48 2016. I bought it used and it had 9000kms done on it from previous owner. The motorcycle was serviced twice from harley dealership in india at 500 kms and 8000kms. At 12000kms i noticed the engine started making wierd noise and ehen i checked engine oil i found it was empty. The engine oil pressure light never showed up but as soon as inoticed it i put 3 litres of oil in it. 2 litres once and later 1 more litre. The weird clingging engine noise dissappeared. 100 kms later i changed engine and trandmission oil to amsoil and Now there is only clingging noise when engine oil is hot after a while and when i am accelerating fastly from 1st to top gear. It is persistent clinging. The engine is also burning oil after the amsoil change it burnt 1litrr in 500 kms. I also had carbuereter issues and had often git engine running rich in both chambers. 0132 and 0152 codes. I replaced the air filter with a roland sands one just 100kms before. I also have twin slash Slipons installed. O2 sensors are on place. Now i dont get the engine running rich too often but the bike blows out white smike while i revv it on idle or when i am at high rpms while riding.i checked spark plugs and wires all good . I am attaching a video and picture for more details. If someone could lead me to the right direction it would be a great help. Thanx again.

Attached Files

Last edited by Rashmeet; 04-11-2019 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Forgot to upload video and pics
Old 04-11-2019, 08:11 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,718 Likes on 2,391 Posts

So the bike had covered 4000kms and consumed 3 litres of oil. That may or may not be in spec but you should check that with a dealer. It seems quite high to me.

Your bike is fuel injected so it doesn't have carburettor.

Oil pressure lights usually go out at such a low psi as to be unhelpful at showing low oil level.

If you now have engine noises the only real solution will be a strip down to inspect all of the parts.

An engine burning oil is usually down to the rings no longer creating a good seal to the bores. This will require and engine strip down and measuring equipment to determine. A compression test will only confirm how much there is but not where the fault lies.

The following users liked this post:
Rashmeet (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 12:27 PM
Rashmeet
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
So the bike had covered 4000kms and consumed 3 litres of oil. That may or may not be in spec but you should check that with a dealer. It seems quite high to me.

Your bike is fuel injected so it doesn't have carburettor.

Oil pressure lights usually go out at such a low psi as to be unhelpful at showing low oil level.

If you now have engine noises the only real solution will be a strip down to inspect all of the parts.

An engine burning oil is usually down to the rings no longer creating a good seal to the bores. This will require and engine strip down and measuring equipment to determine. A compression test will only confirm how much there is but not where the fault lies.
thanx for your help i was also thinking of rings making noise and leading to white smoke. Will get new ones soon to replace the faulty ones,

Old 04-11-2019, 01:28 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Rashmeet
thanx for your help i was also thinking of rings making noise and leading to white smoke. Will get new ones soon to replace the faulty ones,
Before you buy any parts you may want to inspect it first. Depending on how low the oil was and how long it was low you could have cylinder damage also. Only way to be sure is to pull the heads off and take a look.

Keep in mind that is only the pistons and cylinders, you could have other damage also that could only be discovered by pulling the engine out of the bike and taking it apart to inspect all the pieces.

Here is what an extreme case of no oil looks like. This engine seized due to lack of oil flow

Rashmeet (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 03:45 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

Sometimes the price gets high for not checking your oil regularly. I check mine after every ride. Always check it when its hot. This does not help you now but it could be a lesson for others.

Last edited by apache snow; 04-11-2019 at 03:46 PM.
cacomly (04-12-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 04:53 PM
kero
Tourer
Received 178 Likes on 88 Posts

If you have ridden de bike without oil this engine need to be opened and inspected....

Old 04-11-2019, 05:35 PM
TimmyPage
Road Captain
Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

I have over 30,000 kms on my 2017 Iron. 883 converted to a 1202. I lose some oil through the air filter, blow by, but I don't think it burns any oil because I never have to add any between oil changes and it's always around the same mark on the dipstick. Maybe the first owner just didn't break yours in properly and didn't seat the piston rings well.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:09 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 286 Posts

Wow...1 liter = about 2 quarts
500 kilometers = about 300 miles
To me that's excessive.

OP asked for some direction.
Noting OP in in India...to which I am unsure of a dealer network or HD mechanic network.

Baseline is to, assuming no outside apparent oil leaks including head gasket, verify correct weight oil and proper fill level and usage measurements.

I first do a compression check....that will check ring sealing.
Second one could do a leak down test...that will check valve sealing.
Third one could insert a camera into the sparkplug hole to inspect the cylinder lining.
A perhaps to late option is to look for metal in an old oil filter or send a current oil sample to Blackstone Labs (USA) for testing.

Wishing the OP luck, yet I have a bad feeling they will have to remove the cylinders and buy some parts.

If so they may be looking at a valve job and valve seals, pistons, wrist pins, rings, cylinders and gaskets.
(If lucky just a cylinder hone, piston rings and gasket kit.)
That could raise the option of going to a 1250/ 1275 top end kit plus a computer/ fuel injector tuner over OEM replacement parts.

That's my two cent direction and again good luck.

Rashmeet (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 08:27 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,718 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Not completely as there could be problems with the valve seats

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 04-12-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:20 AM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
Not completely as there could be problems with the valve seats
Second one could do a leak down test...that will check valve sealing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportster 48 year 2016 burning oil and blowing white smoke.