Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Sportster 48

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 03:45 PM
Brandon Jackson
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a Sportster 48

*originally posted this on the new members page

Hello everbody,

I am looking to buy my first bike and I'm pretty much set on the Sportster 48 (I want a bike that my wife and I can both enjoy). I just have a few questions as to what may be the best decision. First, is anybody aware of any major changes that may be coming in the future for this model that may make it worth waiting? I ask this because with my luck, the 2020 model will come out as soon as I buy one and it would address any issues that people may have with the older years. Also, buying new vs used, I've always been against buying any vehicle new because it loses its value right out of the lot. However, looking at some around me on Craiglist, the best I found (and I may be completely wrong) is a stock 2013 for $5,800 with 10,600 miles. All the others are $7,500+ or a few years newer and they want almost as much as a new one because they upgraded a couple of things (which is also a concern for me because I know adding a $500 exhaust doesn't boost the value $1000+ and it's not that difficult to install, lol). My thought process is that I would rather just buy a new one rather than say a 2016 with a few upgrades that is selling for only around a thousand or so less than the new model.

My main questions:
Is there a particular year or certain things to avoid?
If I go the used route, what would be an example of a "good" deal?
If I go the new route, does the 2019 offer any benefits to previous years?
Also on the new route, is there word on any major changes to come on the 2020 model that could be worth waiting?

Thanks everybody in advance! Please let me know if this thread may be more useful in another category.

Last edited by Brandon Jackson; 04-18-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:52 AM
YomnyHD48
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really understand the urge to get something and get it now, that's me(not saying its you). It seems that there a few good things in the pipeline for 2020, the custom 1250cc or the 48x and other models for the sportster lineup, maybe its just chatter. If that 1250cc watercooled "custom" ride is something in the works then id probably trade my 2019 48 lol. At this point, there is nothing hot about the current models, same junk. The current models wont be discounted much, not until mid next year or so.

Take this with a grain of salt, its just some searches ive done around the web

The following users liked this post:
Brandon Jackson (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:57 AM
steveket
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi - you’re after opinions - so here’s mine & I have a 2015 with the stage one mods.
if you want the “shake rattle and roll” that is the character of the classic air-cooled -only twin with only simple Cats in a nod to emissions then I would think to discount the 2020 bikes. I believe the new engine, if rumours are true, will have all this character ironed out and even more emission controls.
Instead pay about $1500-2000 less and get a 2016/17/18 with the least miles and owners you can find and, you really ought to consider buying one that is already equipped with stage one, as.....despite what you might think......if you bought new.....I’d give you you about 5 minutes after starting & hearing & riding it that you’d realise why we all go for at least stage one. If you find a used one that you like but is totally standard then simply budget to do stage one yourself - it’s easy if you are familiar with even basic motorcycle maintenance. We do the stage one because the standard exhausts + intake + tune (you’ll need a tuner with the bike too - I have a V&H FP3) strangle the performance and most importantly the classic Harley sound is missing! Stock bikes whichever model you listen to sound shockingly quiet & pathetic and that’s putting it mildly.

I hope that you factor in all opinions and enjoy whatever Forty Eight you choose - I have ridden lots of sports, touring / retro other makes over the last 33 yrs and I just cannot believe that I still have a huge grin and thrill whenever I ride my Forty Eight which is almost every day, even after 4 years of ownership.

Oh - last word - in your used search try to find one with pillion pegs already fitted (they’re not standard on new bikes) plus maybe a pillion seat & sissy bar. On new, you’ll end up shelling out big bucks for these too I’m afraid!

Good luck!

Last edited by steveket; 04-22-2019 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:57 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,729 Likes on 2,395 Posts

I don't have a 48 so I cannot comment on the ride. I have a 2017 SuperLow XL1200T.

I bought new because I had the money, I didn't want someone else's cast offs and because I was going to be mostly carrying a pillion. It was also nice that it comes with saddlebags.

I bought a 2008 Custom with 8500 miles on the clock and converted it to a trike for my partner. She has done about 1500 miles now and the engine runs very well. Therefore if going second hand there should be no concerns for a well look after bike.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 04-22-2019 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:30 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

My first suggestion is to expand your Craigslist search further out to cities not too terribly far away. You really can find some super deals if you keep looking. And for the right deal going to pick one up 200 miles away isn't such a big deal--especially if the numbers are in your favor.

Also, after not having a bike for many (30+) years I bought a new 2009 XL1200C Sportster. Loved it! But then I went to a Fat Bob and I am now on my second Road Glide. So, after a while your tastes, needs and desires may all change. That's normal LOL. And I have seen some really nice looking Sportster 48 models out there. But me, personally, I would never get a Sportster with that tiny 2.2 gallon peanut tank. I would be filling up every time I rode. And if heading out to get somewhat lost on the rural and semi rural state two lane highways you had better plan your fuel stops in advance.