Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Sportster mufflers and air cleaner up grade (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/1282254-sportster-mufflers-and-air-cleaner-up-grade.html)

gto64gto 05-02-2019 03:47 PM

Sportster mufflers and air cleaner up grade

I don't know much about the 2017 1200 Sportster so I'm asking a question. My last bike was a 2008 Street Bob with fuel injection. HD said you had to reflash the computer $$$ if you did these moods. I don't recall the name of the magazine, but there was an article that said you could do a muffler upgrade and run the bike 15 minutes to let the computer time to adjust and then do the air cleaner upgrade run the bike for 15 minutes and the computer would adjust. It didn't matter which one you did first, but do one, run bike 15 minutes, do the other and run bike for 15 minutes and it would run OK. I did what the article said and never had trouble with the bike.I'm sure it didn't run lean because I never had any popping back when I rolled off the throttle and the plugs looked OK. Now it's 2017. Does anyone know if this still holds true or do you have to have a reflash now? Thanks so much for your time.

steveket 05-02-2019 04:37 PM

As I understand it “with a faster air filter AnD exhaust upgrade” the computer alone can’t stretch to cover the new wider parameters in an ideal/perfect match; hence a V&H FP3 tuner or dynorun or another similar tuning device to the FP3 is usually recommended.

whylee 05-02-2019 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by steveket (Post 18228118)
As I understand it “with a faster air filter AnD exhaust upgrade” the computer alone can’t stretch to cover the new wider parameters in an ideal/perfect match; hence a V&H FP3 tuner or dynorun or another similar tuning device to the FP3 is usually recommended.

You can usually get by doung one, but if you upgrade both exhaust and air cleaner then you really should have it tuned or buy a tuner.

gto64gto 05-02-2019 08:24 PM

Has anyone tried this? The magazine was American Iron. I know you do if you go with new pipes but I'm really not sure with just mufflers. I know that Harley will put it to you if you don't watch it. I'm not saying that it will work with a 2017 1200 cc engine but it sure did with a 96 inch one

DK Custom 05-05-2019 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by gto64gto (Post 18228022)
I don't know much about the 2017 1200 Sportster so I'm asking a question. My last bike was a 2008 Street Bob with fuel injection. HD said you had to reflash the computer $$$ if you did these moods. I don't recall the name of the magazine, but there was an article that said you could do a muffler upgrade and run the bike 15 minutes to let the computer time to adjust and then do the air cleaner upgrade run the bike for 15 minutes and the computer would adjust. It didn't matter which one you did first, but do one, run bike 15 minutes, do the other and run bike for 15 minutes and it would run OK. I did what the article said and never had trouble with the bike.I'm sure it didn't run lean because I never had any popping back when I rolled off the throttle and the plugs looked OK. Now it's 2017. Does anyone know if this still holds true or do you have to have a reflash now? Thanks so much for your time.

Here's a LINK with good info about Stage I upgrades.

The Sportsters are too lean from the factory...even in stock condition you are going to get a stutter, or some hesitation in lower rpm moderated acceleration. I would strongly recommend against spending the time & money on a HD "reflash". They are EPA compliant, and by default, too lean to get ride of that hesitation.

Take a look at this LINK about tuning, there are some low cost, very effective options.

Feel free to call or email with any questions.

Andy from Sandy 05-05-2019 12:32 PM

Isn't the SESPT now outlawed?

There is an autotune facility with the FP3.

DK Custom 05-06-2019 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy (Post 18234239)

HD is no longer selling the SESPT, but it is not illegal to own, and is an option.

Yes, as stated in the report, the FP3 has an autotune feature, however, it does not allow you to go into the tune and make anywhere near the changes you can with a Power Vision. You also cannot build a tune or save a tune and share it. Dynotuners cannot use the FP3 to make changes that they see would be beneficial after a run. It is a good basic Stage I flash tuner.

slw210 05-06-2019 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy (Post 18234239)

They now have a 50 state EPA compliant SEPST for newer bikes. https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...ance-tuner-kit

Not sure how good it works, but reviews seem positive. As long as you don't live in California and/or take it in to Harley for work and since warranty should be over for most 2017s, I would opt for the Powervision.

DK Custom 05-06-2019 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by slw210 (Post 18236878)
They now have a 50 state EPA compliant SEPST for newer bikes. https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...ance-tuner-kit

Not sure how good it works, but reviews seem positive. As long as you don't live in California and/or take it in to Harley for work and since warranty should be over for most 2017s, I would opt for the Powervision.

Yes, that is a different tuner. SEPST vs the better SESPT.

Very different animals. The new one has been defanged. I would not use one if it was given to me.

The "good one" that is no longer available new was an actual tuner, but still was not nearly as easy to use, nor as powerful as the Power Vision.

HotRod917 05-08-2019 11:46 AM

+1 for Power Vision