Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Tuning Question

Old 05-05-2019, 07:28 PM
aswracing
Road Captain
Received 516 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
If you are set to keep this bike and no other the FP3 makes sense for most people who just want a safe tune for stage 1 hardware.

If your future is paved with many motorcycles then the Power Vision makes most sense as you can purchase additional licenses reducing your costs.
There's quite a bit more to it than that.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:28 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,720 Likes on 2,391 Posts

So why not throw us a few bones in order to clarify that answer?

Old 05-06-2019, 06:13 AM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
So why not throw us a few bones in order to clarify that answer?
You do know aswracing is Hammer performance.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:05 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member

No.

I looked at some of the feature set of the Power Vision and clearly it is a superior product.

I still am of the opinion that if a map and autotune using a FP3 works for the average Joe with just one bike for life then what else is needed?

Please enlighten me or point me to where I will find the answer to "There's quite a bit more to it than that"?

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 05-06-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:38 PM
aswracing
Road Captain
Received 516 Likes on 259 Posts

Well, for the longest time, they've had no wideband options. And for that matter, you couldn't even use wideband 3rd-party tools, because there's no way to pull logs and combine them with the sampled data and send a new tune back. Which means that there's really been no reasonable method at all to do a wideband tune. For this reason, most shops won't even do a dyno tune with an FP3. They just don't provide the hooks needed to do it right.

Now I understand they've finally brought their wideband product to market, the "FuelPak Pro". It's made for shops, the idea being that shops buy it, use it to create tunes, and then upload those tunes to V&H's server for distribution or sales to customers, with of course V&H taking a cut. Which really does sit well with me. Why they insist on having a copy of everyone's tune and controlling the distribution of it is beyond me, except to line their pockets. Every other tuner solution in the world has a PC app and the ability to save tunes locally and edit and email them as desired. But beyond that, it's still locking out third party tools, because everything is confined to V&H's ecosystem.

Contrast this with how the Powervision works. It's a full featured tool that can be used with either of two different add-on wideband options (a logging style and closed-loop wideband). But you can also pull logs and use 3rd party tools like Twinscan and MLV and others to create your tunes and then send them back. You can email them to whoever you want, too, without Dynojet getting a copy or a cut.

So it's really much more than the ability to tune multiple bikes with one piece of hardware. The Powervision is a full featured tuning solution that doesn't tie your hands, and it also offers closed-loop wideband. There's hardly any difference at all in the street prices of the two. I honestly don't believe they'd sell any of them at all except for the popularity of their pipes. Which, by the way, I've found to be equally unremarkable in performance.

Last edited by aswracing; 05-06-2019 at 01:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Andy from Sandy (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member

Thank you.

I wish the cost really was closer, I would of got one. Over here there is unfortunately a very big difference between the two.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 05-06-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:50 PM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 923 Posts

I have experience with 3 HD's and 6 different tunes/tuners. From dealer tunes, V&H LCD, V&H FP3, PCV and Dynojet flash dyno tunes.

Hands down the best way to go is a dyno tune from a solid Tuner. All these plug ins and do-dads and auto-jobbies will make your scoot run a bit better,...but there is nothing like an engine that is tuned to perfection by a highly qualified Tuner. I wish I had listened thousands of dollars ago and went straight to the Tuner instead of doing all the plug ins, do-dads and jobbies.

So don't be a cheapo. Spend the extra $200 and get the dyno tune (NOT dealer tune). For Christ sakes you'll probably spend triple that on cosmetic crap you don't need like fancy grips, gas caps and mirrors.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:44 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

I guess for some it boils down to cost vs desire and or availability. How bad do you want that 5 extra hp? Here in Kalifornia, I doubt the "tuners" are even allowed to come close to the engines potential without being prosecuted.
I have seen on some brand of tuner web sites, that CA models are different, and some are not even allowed to sell here. So for reasons like that many "settle" for less power.

Its not always black and white for everyone.

I got tunes from a WELL known tuner in Idaho, for my diesel truck. He is no longer allowed to even sell programs thanks to the commies at the EPA. Its no longer just a problem in states like CA, sadly.

They are already regulating lawn mowers, so its only a matter of time. One real bad thing about computer controlled engines, is they can plug into the system and see if factory programming has been altered. They are doing it on gas cars in every state, and diesels in may states.

So we need to enjoy it at whatever level we can get, IMHO.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:02 PM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 923 Posts

Put power aside.

A great dyno tune will have your motor running more efficiently which means less wasted fuel (better emmissions then a potentially rich amateur tune) and smoother operation throughout rpm range. This alone is worth the extra $200.

The added power is simply a byproduct of a finely tuned air pump. And that lug in the lower 2k range putting around town,....gone.

$.02

Old 05-07-2019, 07:14 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Its not me you need to prove it to, its the epa. They are the ones that dictate what a tuner can and cannot do. One other reason to have your own tuner. I put the factory tune back on my truck for smog tests every 2 years. When I pass I reload my EFI tunes and drive on my merry way

Having my own tuner will be the way I go and being able to tune more than one bike is a bonus to me, if I can manage to snag an ultra any time soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportster Tuning Question