Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 09:18 PM
JGBoss
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster Tuning Question

I recently purchased a 2015 Sportster Superlow 1200t from a local dealership. It has a Screamin Eagle stage one breather and exhaust on it. The bike did not come with a tuner and I just had the bike serviced for the 1k tune up (it only had 971 miles on it when I picked it up) and the tech told me the bike is running lean. Besides the obvious answer of “buy a new tuner and tune it” I was curious....can a Harley dealership check the current tune on it and remap it without me purchasing a new tuner for it?

Old 05-02-2019, 09:44 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Nice 1st post...>.<

Yes, they'll tune your bike, but probably by adding a piggyback tuner to your bike. W/those upgrades, bike's probably too far out-of-spec to adjust w/o some type of interface...

Old 05-03-2019, 06:40 PM
Mborras1
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Look into getting a Power Commander or Fuel pac 3. It will make a world of difference. A lot of people like the FP3 because it has the app which you would control from your IPhone or androids.
I don't know how how much you know about bikes and mechanics to install yourself. Me personally I will run from the dealer to pricey they might charge over 400 just for a flash when you can pay for a tuner and flash as much as you want and as you change out things.

I found a Power Commander V a few years back for 250 works perfect and as I ride if I feel any dead spots or back fire I can go in and tweak the areas of the map and not have to make an apt with the stealer and wait till some someone tweaks it for me. Convince thing also more personal and you get a sense of self accomplishment.
Just my thoughts.

The following users liked this post:
Sorce (05-06-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 07:04 PM
pgrchaplain
Road Captain
Received 523 Likes on 246 Posts

You Need a Tuner!

Old 05-03-2019, 07:05 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

When I called my local dealer, they said could easily (free) check what tune was on the bike. If yours is stock tune, they can reflash the ecm with a HD stage 1 tune. Mine quoted me about $125-150. You buy the tune and the labor to flash.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:41 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

Best tuner on the market is the power vision. You will never need another one.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:18 AM
aswracing
Road Captain
Received 520 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by JGBoss
I was curious....can a Harley dealership check the current tune on it and remap it without me purchasing a new tuner for it?
Yes and no ...

Yes, they can pull the current tune and see it.

Yes, they can flash their SE tune ... which does absolutely nothing to make the motor run richer. All it does is raise the rev limit. I've seen a thousand of these tunes. Don't waste your money.

To actually tune your bike, they need to use a capable tuner. Which HD does not offer anymore. The race tuner they used to offer has been discontinued, courtesy of the EPA. Instead, they offer an EPA legal "street" tuner with an extremely limited range of adjustment. Again, don't waste your money.

Capable tuners are still available from Dynojet, TTS, and others. All of these will, right out of the box, tune one bike. They marry themselves to a single bike the first time it's used. They don't tie your hands the way the SE product does, you can change most anything without limits.

Some can also be used to tune multiple bikes, by adding a "license key" for an additional fee. So for example, you may pay 400-some dollars for a Dynojet Powervision, which is capable of tuning one bike. You can then spend an additional $200 to tune a second bike with it. And another $200 to tune a third bike with it, on and on.

So if a shop has a tuner with this kind of capability, you don't necessarily have to buy the whole tuner. You can just buy a license key. Some shops offer this.

However, there are big advantages to owning the hardware yourself. Particularly a unit like the Powervision, which has a little display unit. It can be used for all kind of things beyond just tuning. You can for example use it as gauges, monitoring just about anything going on in your motor, it offers trip computers, you can clear codes, you can make on the fly adjustments, you can stage multiple tunes for different fuels or environments or usages and flash whichever you want easily, etc. The list of things it can do is remarkable.

You can even tune it yourself, with it's built-in autotune capability.

The V&H product is less capable, and slightly less expensive.

I do not recommend any piggy-back style tuners at all (Power Commanders, etc). It's a terrible way to tune a bike, in my opinion.

Last edited by aswracing; 05-04-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:33 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Do you have to keep the display on the bike? I am running out of handlebar space.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:34 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

It needs to be attached to run Auto Tune.
After tuning you do not have to keep the PowerVision attached, it writes all the changes to the ECU.

Last edited by shanneba; 05-05-2019 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:40 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,731 Likes on 2,397 Posts

The V&H product is less capable, and slightly less expensive.
If you are set to keep this bike and no other the FP3 makes sense for most people who just want a safe tune for stage 1 hardware.

If your future is paved with many motorcycles then the Power Vision makes most sense as you can purchase additional licenses reducing your costs.

Quick Reply: Sportster Tuning Question