Notices
Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag bar v original handlebar

 
  #1  
Old 05-19-2019, 11:32 AM
Hayley Johnson-Bushnell
Hayley Johnson-Bushnell is offline
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: west sussex uk
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag bar v original handlebar

Hi there
currently riding an 883 which I love, but the handlebars are a little far forward for my reach. Does anyone know if the standard handlebars will make the reach any less?

ta
H
 
  #2  
Old 05-19-2019, 01:08 PM
wane004
wane004 is offline
New Member
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I have drag bars on mine. I did swap out the original bars for them. Didn't notice a huge difference other than you leaning over more with the drag bars. The original bars probs are more comfortable due to riding position.
 
  #3  
Old 05-19-2019, 01:41 PM
jakewalter's Avatar
jakewalter
jakewalter is offline
Club Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 91
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

That problem can also be alleviated using different risers.
 
  #4  
Old 05-19-2019, 02:48 PM
Hayley Johnson-Bushnell
Hayley Johnson-Bushnell is offline
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: west sussex uk
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wane004 View Post
I have drag bars on mine. I did swap out the original bars for them. Didn't notice a huge difference other than you leaning over more with the drag bars. The original bars probs are more comfortable due to riding position.
Thanks - I love the look of the drag bars but itís just a bit uncomfortable for any long ride. Do you think itís worth the cost to change then?
Hayley
 
  #5  
Old 05-19-2019, 02:49 PM
Hayley Johnson-Bushnell
Hayley Johnson-Bushnell is offline
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: west sussex uk
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Also - whatís a riser? Is that the bracket which holds the handlebars? Excuse my ignorance.... 🙄
 
  #6  
Old 05-20-2019, 12:57 PM
wane004
wane004 is offline
New Member
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Always worth seeing if you can find anyone local with standard bars on who will let you have ago before you spend any money. Do you have the drag bars set on an angle so they are towards you as much as possible?
 
The following users liked this post:
  #7  
Old 05-20-2019, 12:57 PM
Jak_Rak's Avatar
Jak_Rak
Jak_Rak is offline
New Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Lewis Co., WA
Posts: 100
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default



Those are risers. You can change them to move your bar up, back, or up and back. They come in different heights and bends. You can look for a riser that moves your bar to a position that's more comfortable for you, without changing your handlebars. Depending on the riser, and how much you move the bar, you may have to swap out control cables. You don't have to go crazy, as often a 1" or 2" shift will make all the difference in the world.

Personally, if I was going to do a riser swap, I would use something like a Rox riser, just because it's adjustable.

Rox Extended Stem Pivoting Risers For 1" Handlebars
 
  #8  
Old 05-20-2019, 03:33 PM
Hayley Johnson-Bushnell
Hayley Johnson-Bushnell is offline
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: west sussex uk
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jak_Rak View Post


Those are risers. You can change them to move your bar up, back, or up and back. They come in different heights and bends. You can look for a riser that moves your bar to a position that's more comfortable for you, without changing your handlebars. Depending on the riser, and how much you move the bar, you may have to swap out control cables. You don't have to go crazy, as often a 1" or 2" shift will make all the difference in the world.

Personally, if I was going to do a riser swap, I would use something like a Rox riser, just because it's adjustable.

Rox Extended Stem Pivoting Risers For 1" Handlebars
Thatís brilliant, thanks so much!
 
  #9  
Old 05-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Hayley Johnson-Bushnell
Hayley Johnson-Bushnell is offline
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: west sussex uk
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wane004 View Post
Always worth seeing if you can find anyone local with standard bars on who will let you have ago before you spend any money. Do you have the drag bars set on an angle so they are towards you as much as possible?
I have them at the optimum angle but itís just a really uncomfortable ride after 20 mins - mainly on my neck. Iíve ridden 883s before and not had the same; the other possibility is a different seat but mine looks so cool!!!
 
  #10  
Old 05-20-2019, 04:28 PM
wane004
wane004 is offline
New Member
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

No good if its uncomfortable after 20min. Hope you find a solution.
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: