Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose, please advice!

Old 05-31-2019, 05:16 AM
Svetlozar K.
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me choose, please advice!

Hi there guys, new to the forum and have some questions.

So I've been shopping for my first HD ever. I saw a great 2008 xl1200R on craigslist for $5,000 (he said he can move on the price a bit hopefully $500) on 22k miles 10 min away from my house. The guy has been riding for 45 years he said and I am pretty sure he took good care of the motorcyle, doesn't have any major dents and scratches. It looks exactly like the pic I'am attaching. I really like the dual front disc and the tach meeter, but I am shorty (5'3) and I can hold the bike on my toes, but I was hoping I can flat foot the sportster. The other thing is that the guy put forward controls and I can't reach them, so I'll need to order mid controls that I checked for $500 are the only ones that I found.

I went to see the bike today and comming from ninja 400 this thing scared me. It was so loud and vibrant. It was basically shaking the handlebars like crazy. The engine was cold, but is that normal? Will it get better when I ride it? When it warms up?

Now the other option I've got is to buy a newer (2015-2018) used XL1200 which is going to be 2' lower than the 2008 and I like the way it looks like way more than the 2008, but I dont want to give up the dual discs and the tachometer. So I was wondering what are the differences and why I like the newer one more and the only things that I saw was that the newer ones have lower shocks in the backend and smaller 3.3 gl tank.

So my questions are:

Should I buy the 2008 XL1200R and put shorter shocks that way I'll have the way the new ones look like and it's gonna be comfortable for me to handle the 680lb machine
And buy the mid controls for $500 so I can at least reach the transmission peg .

Or just buy a used newer xl1200 which will be again around the same mileage, more expensive, no dual disc brakes and no tach. (Better colours for sure!) Again I can't believe how much more I like the 2018s more and the only difference that I see is the it is lower in the back than then 2008 and the colors ofcourse, but I plan to wrap or paint the 2008 if I get it!

Please advice me in these tough days! Ride safe!

Old 05-31-2019, 05:29 AM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,189 Likes on 2,822 Posts

Which one speaks to you more? Which one are you going to walk away from and turn to look at. That’s the one.
the tach and dual discs would not be a necessity. On a sport bike yes. Cruiser not so much.

The following users liked this post:
thomassa3 (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 05:34 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

Don't get hung up too much on dual discs; they look sportier and add weight (unsprung weight) to the motorcycle.

Now before someone starts a argument about stopping power - I will concede that dual discs do provide more stopping power when the brakes are heat soaked and you are at you are experiencing degraded braking until heat is dissipated. This can and does happen in racing situations where maximum power is followed by maximum braking - repeatedly and in short intervals where heat dissipation is an issue.

For the most, if not all of us riding the street, our brakes (single disc thought they may be) never get so hot that the added mass of unsprung weight is of any benefit whatsoever.

Last edited by Jehu; 05-31-2019 at 05:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
thomassa3 (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 05:41 AM
Svetlozar K.
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Which one speaks to you more? Which one are you going to walk away from and turn to look at. That’s the one.
the tach and dual discs would not be a necessity. On a sport bike yes. Cruiser not so much.
Thank you for your fast reply. The look of the newer for sure!

Originally Posted by Jehu
Don't get hung up too much on dual discs; they look sportier and add weight (unsprung weight) to the motorcycle.

Now before someone starts a argument about stopping power - I will concede that dual discs do provide more stopping power when the brakes are heat soaked and you are at you are experiencing degraded braking until heat is dissipated. This can and does happen in racing situations where maximum power is followed by maximum braking - repeatedly and in short intervals where heat dissipation is an issue.

For the most, if not all of us riding the street, our brakes (single disc thought they may be) never get so hot that the added mass of unsprung weight is of any benefit whatsoever.
Don't you guys think that I can change the visual look of the 2008 to look like the new one if I change the rear shocks with shorter ones? I asked a friend and he said the old ones look like for old people and the new ones look for youngers and I am 26 :P

Old 05-31-2019, 07:01 AM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Your going to spend more money trying to make it something it isn't rather than buying something that fits you right out of the box. Tippy toeing on a bike will eventually let you drop it. Flat foot only!

The following 2 users liked this post by Bass Player:
Sorce (06-01-2019), thomassa3 (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 07:53 AM
thomassa3
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I agree with this statement/recommendation 100%!

Go with your gut...always...you'll know YOUR bike when you see/ride it.

Don't try to force yourself into something the COULD be, MAYBE one day, made into what you want...go with the one your heart immediately jumps for. You'll be MUCH happier in the long run (especially once the "new to you" factor wears off and you've put several miles on it)

My .02

Old 05-31-2019, 08:01 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

Save your money and move up to a bigger model, your going want to do it sooner or later anyway.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:26 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Roadster all the way!!!
And yes touchdown, he may want to "move up" soon, I've had my Roadster for 12 years and I'm not quite ready to "move up" yet, maybe in another 12 years or so...or maybe not.

The following 3 users liked this post by HOTLAP:
Midpegs (06-01-2019), thomassa3 (05-31-2019), wandrur (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 10:17 AM
thomassa3
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by touchdown
Save your money and move up to a bigger model, your going want to do it sooner or later anyway.
I think OP mentioned he was 26...looks like it'll probably be the "later" option you mentioned...like in another 30 years or so before he'll be needing one of those massive "old man" models...lol

The following 2 users liked this post by thomassa3:
HOTLAP (05-31-2019), wandrur (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 11:37 AM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain
Received 285 Likes on 142 Posts

Lowering kits are fairly cheap and easy. As for looks, HOTLAP has a perfect example of the what can be done with the 1200R. Sportsters are very versatile bikes, you could go in any direction with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me choose, please advice!