Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Baffles

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 06:55 PM
Anthony Cole
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Removing Baffles

I am looking to remove the baffles on my 2017 Sportster 1200 Custom XL. I have read some things on the risks of this - Does anybody have any suggestions, tips or advice?

Old 06-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,115 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Cole
I am looking to remove the baffles on my 2017 Sportster 1200 Custom XL. I have read some things on the risks of this - Does anybody have any suggestions, tips or advice?
You might get some grief off the neighbors and you run the brisk of tinnitus .

The following users liked this post:
apache snow (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 07:45 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

You will loose some low end power. Some think noise is cool. I have never thought this. If I change something its always for performance. Loud does not always equal performance without others changes.

Last edited by apache snow; 06-11-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:30 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I would suggest getting a pair of stock takeoffs and knocking the baffles out of those. If you like it, fine, but if you don't, cutout baffles don't go back in. If (when?) governments prohibit louder than stock mufflers, it would be be handy to have the originals, too. I got a pair of stock take offs for $25 once. I have a pair of 2000 stock mufflers with the baffles cut out, noticeable performance hit and way too loud for my liking, but they wouldn't fit your 2017.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:31 PM
Zateeva
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 148 Posts

get some TTI's to solve the low end and slightly reduce sound, (SLIGHTLY)

but as Apache said, why do want to do this.......Sound or performance, gotta do something to counter the other

Packgrog (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 03:59 AM
steveket
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Anthony - firstly you didn’t say whether you have stock pipes or aftermarket pipes.
If stock I would obtain a used set of eBay - remove the baffles from this spare set. Install and see what you think - if you like keep em on - if not - you can reinstall your own baffled set.
If you have other pipes eg . I have V&H twin slash Slipons here is my experience - I have standard V & H baffles installed and they sound deep and fantastic - the real Harley rumble. I did though have a few months with the baffles removed as an experiment. I absolutely found the sound at tick-over really appealing - loved it in fact. However, the rest of the riding time with the full range of rpms, I distinctly did not like the sound - the sound was hollow and too higher frequency for my liking; the deeper throaty rumble was missing. So - I refitted my standard baffles and the best Harley sound across the complete rev range is now restored. Good luck.

Sorce (06-21-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 06:25 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,115 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by steveket
Anthony - firstly you didn’t say whether you have stock pipes or aftermarket pipes.
If stock I would obtain a used set of eBay - remove the baffles from this spare set. Install and see what you think - if you like keep em on - if not - you can reinstall your own baffled set.
If you have other pipes eg . I have V&H twin slash Slipons here is my experience - I have standard V & H baffles installed and they sound deep and fantastic - the real Harley rumble. I did though have a few months with the baffles removed as an experiment. I absolutely found the sound at tick-over really appealing - loved it in fact. However, the rest of the riding time with the full range of rpms, I distinctly did not like the sound - the sound was hollow and too higher frequency for my liking; the deeper throaty rumble was missing. So - I refitted my standard baffles and the best Harley sound across the complete rev range is now restored. Good luck.
I could not agree more , that's exactly how I feel about the sound on my bike . I've got V&H Straight Shots with the Loud baffles . It's that sort of slapping sound under acceleration that is getting on my nerves now . It reminds me of Fred Flintstone's feet powering his car ! It's not a leak , by the way . So I've ordered some new baffle packing and my V&H quiet baffles are going back in .

Old 06-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 178 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Zateeva
get some TTI's to solve the low end and slightly reduce sound, (SLIGHTLY)
I second this. As someone whose bike came with knocked-out baffles on stock mufflers, the sound is a bit obnoxious, and prompted complaints from one of my neighbors. When I got some cheap unmodified OEM mufflers, not only was the sound far more tolerable, but the engine performed noticeably better at low RPMs. Without some kind of back pressure, low end torque is unreliable.

So, if you're dead set on knocking out the baffles of some OEM mufflers, I strongly suggest that you get a spare set for cheap as others have suggested, and make sure to get the TTI's as well. You're probably looking at around $100 all in.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:04 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,790 Posts

Your neighbors will think the new teenager has a moped.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jackie Paper:
apache snow (06-17-2019), Sorce (06-21-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 12:23 PM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

Just buy some slip-ons or a complete new exhaust with interchangeable/removable baffles.

Midpegs (06-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Removing Baffles