Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I rode it again... I frickin love my sporty.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 08:11 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts

"I wish I never sold it!" are the famous last words of former Sportster owners. Don't say we didn't warn you. Keep it!

But if you gotta sell it, best of luck. That's a beautiful bike; well done!

Old 06-15-2019, 10:11 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

One last ride.
Sounds like an ex-girlfriend.
However, I still have my Sportster. I don't regret ANY ex-steady. Find'em, fool 'em, forget 'em (smash and pass). I might lose my mind, without my Sportster, though. It wouldn't be pretty.
You're a good Man. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Do what ya gotta.
Good luck.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:16 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Default bites o_0

Got up this morning and rode the super sporty to the local dealership to have them look at and attempt to fix the issue with the oil filter mount. it seems to have broken the threads where the adapter fits/screws into the case.

No idea what caused it but I remember finding the issue when i was out fixing the jagg 4550 after the dyna incident had made me batty. i saw that issue and made a mental note to Fix before selling the bike. that would be wrong to the buyer if not disclosed.

Once i got there they weren't clear on whaat i ws saying so i handed ther the replacemt nipple that i had ordered when i noticed the issue and a new filter to put on after they looked at the situation and could ballpark the damage ($). they agreed to see what they could do and call me before doing anything BUT, they started trying to get me to trade it in on a 2018+ or something like that, i shut all that down by saying i was done with motorcycles and no.... no trading in or new bikes.. they resorted to just trying to buy the bike. . . . .

i had no real issue with that, considering what they were offering. that is basically money on the table but, i said go ahead and let me know the damage ($) on the fix. i will eat that fix cost and recoup it on the sale of the bike.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:55 PM
Iron Jack
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a sharp looking bike man! I'm sure you won't have trouble moving it along.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:50 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Angry

just got a call from the dealer, they couldn't find the filter nipple issue. they said it was solid. i, again explained what the issue was and the shop foreman got real with me. he said he could pul the filter nipple to take a look... but at that point it would be 1000's to replace the bottom end to get around that issue.

i can't, in good faith, sell the bike to someone knowing that's going on. i could do an as is thing, but the buyer would have a nasty bill to fix that. i guess i could let it go at an extreme loss.

Last edited by cvaria; 06-24-2019 at 07:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
johnny_bravo00 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:16 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd be riding it away from the dealer and over to an independent shop so fast... that's foolish. The problem isn't THAT big.
I think the dealer isn't understanding the problem.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:40 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by underwhelmd
I'd be riding it away from the dealer and over to an independent shop so fast... that's foolish. The problem isn't THAT big.
I think the dealer isn't understanding the problem.
True. I could do that or just sell it to the dealer and be done with it.

I will stew on it for a minute but, that thing needs to be gone.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:49 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts

If they offered you a fair price, just sell it to them. Then its their problem when they have to fix it. I know you want to do the right thing, at least you tried, I would turn it over to them at this point If the offer is fair. You did the right thing by disclosing the issue, its up to them to fix it.

Last edited by whylee; 06-25-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:05 AM
underwhelmd
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
True. I could do that or just sell it to the dealer and be done with it.

I will stew on it for a minute but, that thing needs to be gone.

Hey man, sorry you are going to sell that bike. I hope your health is improving.

Much respect to you as one of the people who gave out excellent, factual advice here and broke new ground with your mods. Your build thread is the bible for a lot of things.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 02:11 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Buyer found, actually called me up. Bike hanging out at the dealership seems to have worked out and the buyer is aware of the filter nipple issue. They may break it down and sell the parts like a corporate raider but......... that's life

Sad day.

I will pick it up tomorrow and have a few more rips before I close this chapter of my life. After that will be eliminating all bike goodies from the garage and house... preping for the final handoff of the keys.

Last edited by cvaria; 06-28-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: I rode it again... I frickin love my sporty.