Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about RPM's....

Old 06-20-2019, 11:06 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyco
It sounds like the best outcome for optimizing the engine performance after a pipe change would be to use the V&H FP3 to re-tune.
I'm going to install the quiet baffles to hopefully gauge the effects on engine performance over a wide range of riding conditions, and if that outcome becomes negligible then perhaps the FP3 would be the next logical step.
Ultimately I want the best performance and longevity from my engine, to keep it 'healthy'...
Most of the performance minded don't think much of the flash tuners. The Dynojet Power Vision is the way to go.

The following users liked this post:
apache snow (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 11:08 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
The only way you can make that as a claim for more oil changes is to actually have empirical data from two engines you have run, one using manufacturers oil change intervals and one using yours. Taking the tops off and measuring at the wear on the components.
Have a UOA done on your 10,000 mile oil. It will tell you all you need to know.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:50 PM
steveket
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Trying not to have the FP3 up against more complex tuners debate but for an easy use perspective the FP3 is user friendly and the tune I run was complemented at my HD Dealer twice. As general torque goes for a Sportster it goes like sh..off..a..stick and reaching book top speed is a doddle, in fact it’s still pulling beyond that and that’s fast enough for me. So, if you are definitely wanting more creative tuning to achieve very slight more ft/lbs torque and bhp power then maybe another bespoke tuner is the way for some. I am happy with the FP3 - it’s easy to use - it’s reasonable $ - and my engine sounds good through all rev -range. Spark plugs look good and engine oil comes out showing reasonable condition. Engine heat seems well-managed - mpg normal.
I used to run Jap bikes around the Nurburgring racetrack in Germany and tuning to the nth degree became a silly obsession. So, comparing to looking for those small increments of performance from my Harley really don’t seem necessary! It really wasn’t at 180mph+ on the Kawasaki, at the track looking back now!! Lol

Last edited by steveket; 06-20-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:52 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

The FP3 is ok for stage 1 tunes but much past that you need the Power Vision. It has more features and is much easier when you get into Hammer kits and serious HP.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:33 PM
steveket
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Aha - v good point Apache Snow - yeah I hadn’t considered tuning beyond stage one. I’m only at stage one but for me it’s more than enough from my Forty Eight. Cheers.

Last edited by steveket; 06-20-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:01 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,714 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Most of the performance minded don't think much of the flash tuners. The Dynojet Power Vision is the way to go.
When used by the DIYer at home the FP3 and DynoJet PV perform the same job of flashing a new map to the ECU. Once done neither device needs to be left on the bike. Either device also has an autotune facility.

Past that as an optional extra the DJ PV can use better O2 sensors for its target tune hardware to get better results.

Where the DJ PV wins is the professional dyno tuners use them.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 06-21-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:39 AM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

From Hammer...
Well, for the longest time, they've had no wideband options. And for that matter, you couldn't even use wideband 3rd-party tools, because there's no way to pull logs and combine them with the sampled data and send a new tune back. Which means that there's really been no reasonable method at all to do a wideband tune. For this reason, most shops won't even do a dyno tune with an FP3. They just don't provide the hooks needed to do it right.

Now I understand they've finally brought their wideband product to market, the "FuelPak Pro". It's made for shops, the idea being that shops buy it, use it to create tunes, and then upload those tunes to V&H's server for distribution or sales to customers, with of course V&H taking a cut. Which really does sit well with me. Why they insist on having a copy of everyone's tune and controlling the distribution of it is beyond me, except to line their pockets. Every other tuner solution in the world has a PC app and the ability to save tunes locally and edit and email them as desired. But beyond that, it's still locking out third party tools, because everything is confined to V&H's ecosystem.

Contrast this with how the Powervision works. It's a full featured tool that can be used with either of two different add-on wideband options (a logging style and closed-loop wideband). But you can also pull logs and use 3rd party tools like Twinscan and MLV and others to create your tunes and then send them back. You can email them to whoever you want, too, without Dynojet getting a copy or a cut.

So it's really much more than the ability to tune multiple bikes with one piece of hardware. The Powervision is a full featured tuning solution that doesn't tie your hands, and it also offers closed-loop wideband. There's hardly any difference at all in the street prices of the two. I honestly don't believe they'd sell any of them at all except for the popularity of their pipes. Which, by the way, I've found to be equally unremarkable in performance.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:04 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,714 Likes on 2,389 Posts

The basic point I was making is both devices are flash tuners meaning you download the map to the ECU and then remove the tuner.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:20 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
The basic point I was making is both devices are flash tuners meaning you download the map to the ECU and then remove the tuner.
My bad I meant piggyback versus flash. The Power Vision is light years ahead of any any other flash tuner out there and it's really simplified the process.
I know of guys that couldn't get rid of decel popping with the FP3 but with the Power Vision it was gone.
Now that said, some decel popping, especially on a carbed bike running the HSR42 or 45 is expected with a well tuned motor and performance exhaust. Reason being, the slide works off the cable not vacuum. When you're at high speed and shut that flow off instantly like you do closing the throttle with the motor still turning fast, it's going to go lean getting fuel just from the pilot unless you have your pilot pig rich. Especially with free flowing exhaust with bigger openings at the end. I get some closing the throttle at higher speeds after being into the main or even the needle taper with my 3" HP Plus slip ons that I didn't get with the Straightshots with the 2" muffler bodies. No leaks. Exhaust or intake and not lean in the pilot. I also had reversion with the Straightshots that didn't fair well with my JackHammer 570 cams.
In fact Mikuni states this very thing.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 06-22-2019 at 04:32 PM.