Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street glide fairing on a sporty?

Old 06-17-2019, 09:02 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Default Street glide fairing on a sporty?

As the title says, I was looking at street glide batwing fairings, for the 15-18 models, with the vent opening. I see they come in inside and outside shell, plus other parts for mirrors etc, but am only interested in the outer shell.

Wondering how difficult this might be to adapt to my quick disconnect brackets that currently hold the windshield. I REALLY like the look of those and the functional vent seems like a plus. Cost (on ebay) is very similar to others that are claiming to be for the sporty (and several other models). All would have to be adapted in one way or another.

Anyone tried anything like this?

Old 06-18-2019, 02:27 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Convert your front end consistent with the street glide....otherwise you probably need to fabricate a mounting bracket to accommodate the narrow glide.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:23 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

I think it might be easier to fabricate a mount. Am not sure I want the big wide glide look on my sporty, although I am talking about a full fairing on it, LOL.

Not out of my level of experience. I am not a pro level fabricator but once I see what I need, there is a shop that could possibly copy it and cut it more smoothly than I could.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:18 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by handirifle
I think it might be easier to fabricate a mount. Am not sure I want the big wide glide look on my sporty, although I am talking about a full fairing on it, LOL.

Not out of my level of experience. I am not a pro level fabricator but once I see what I need, there is a shop that could possibly copy it and cut it more smoothly than I could.
Cool...that is what I did...drew it out and took it to a shop to cut it to spec out of stainless steel. The only difference is that you will need to bend your steel to bring in the mounting points. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:21 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Cool...that is what I did...drew it out and took it to a shop to cut it to spec out of stainless steel. The only difference is that you will need to bend your steel to bring in the mounting points. Good luck.
Pics?

Old 06-18-2019, 02:08 PM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain
Received 285 Likes on 142 Posts

I think a Sport Glide fairing with windshield would be awesome if your looking for a batwing fairing on your Sporty. Street glide fairing will be ginormous..

Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SoftailBrian
Pics?
Top one is a HD QR windshield mount, middle is the SS fabricated mount, and the bottom one is the mounts that came with the fairing. Had to modify the bracket to accept the HD QR windshield clamps while retaining the mounting position of the fairing.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:00 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnny_bravo00
I think a Sport Glide fairing with windshield would be awesome if your looking for a batwing fairing on your Sporty. Street glide fairing will be ginormous..
I agree it would be huge on a narrow glide...may be better with a mid glide however that is not what the OP wants to do....part of making the bike his own.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:08 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Do the Sport Glide fairings come with the vent opening? That is mainly what I am after. Having never seen either in person, maybe I ought to go to local dealer or look online.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:23 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Tried to post and got locked in a loop. I looked online and the sport glide fairing is smaller than I want. My windshield is already larger than that. Not really a "wind in my face guy" not since having a windshield. I rode that way for decades, but like this better. Let the bugs and rain hit something else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street glide fairing on a sporty?