Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing works, Daymaker install on 17’ Sportster 48

Old 07-11-2019, 05:49 PM
Sportster Dane
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nothing works, Daymaker install on 17’ Sportster 48

I installed the Daymaker Signature on my Sportster 48. Besides the missing information that you need to purchase a special mounting block for the housing, the unit does not work. No light at all.

It is necessary to use a piece of included wiring harness to connect the wire from the housing to the existing connector. What puzzels me is that this piece of harness only has three wires whereas both the Daymaker and the existing connector has four wires...

I would really like to hear from those of you guys who have done the same installation.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:59 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,714 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Show us a picture of what you have. What is the actual lamp you have?

The daymaker has a black ground wire, a yellow and white wire for low and high beam (can't remember which is which) and the other wire is probably for the halo. For an HDI bike that would go to the position supply wire but on a domestic bike you connect it to low beam wire or don't bother connecting it.

The daymaker should of been supplied with a H4 connector to plug to the connector in the lamp housing. If you do not have the H4 connectors then someone cut them off.

Fitment guide that should of come with the light
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....0?locale=en_US

The fitment statement does tell you about requiring extra parts: XL1200C models require separate purchase of Mounting Block P/N 67746-11.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...11-67700356--1

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 07-12-2019 at 03:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:13 PM
Sportster Dane
Novice

Thanks for the info. Well, I found out that Harley assembles the included adapter harness wrong. First of all they have switched two wires in the Deutsch connector so none of the lights work. Secondly they “forgot” the fourth wire, so the parking/position/halo can not be turned on.

I am so disappointed with Harley over this poor quality control. They are probably sending out hundreds of these kits and none of them work on this type of bike. I called my local Harley dealer, but he had never tried to mount this headlamp, but he would report back the error to Harley.

I will try to have the missing wire installed in the adapter and hope that solves the remaining issue. If it works I will post here. Hopefully it can save an other unfortunate guy many hours of frustration.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:06 PM
Sportster Dane
Novice

Ok, so it turned out that you need to switch two of the wires in the adapter for the lamp to function. Additionally you need to add the missing fourth wire to the adaptor for the parking light to work.

Both these modifications has now been made, and now the head lamp works as intended.

Hopefully this info can be of help to an other victim of the bad quality control.

Last edited by Sportster Dane; 07-17-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:38 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
Show us a picture of what you have. What is the actual lamp you have?

The daymaker has a black ground wire, a yellow and white wire for low and high beam (can't remember which is which) and the other wire is probably for the halo. For an HDI bike that would go to the position supply wire but on a domestic bike you connect it to low beam wire or don't bother connecting it.

The daymaker should of been supplied with a H4 connector to plug to the connector in the lamp housing. If you do not have the H4 connectors then someone cut them off.

Fitment guide that should of come with the light
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....0?locale=en_US

The fitment statement does tell you about requiring extra parts: XL1200C models require separate purchase of Mounting Block P/N 67746-11.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...11-67700356--1

over priced rebranded JW speaker / drag specialties nonsense HD shills to folks tthat don't know any better. total waste of money and it has oddball wiring and adapters. the new bikes may come stock with the adapterson the bike's shock harness. there's also an adapter in the box. mounting is also strange and it needs either the special bucket ( p/n: 67700455) or a deep stocker.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post16752132