Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17 883 Cough/Hesitation when Cold

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 07:31 PM
latewood816
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17 883 Cough/Hesitation when Cold

17 Iron 883 w/ a stage 1. This is my first fuel injected bike. I am used to carbed bikes and having to let them run for a few minutes before taking them down the road. I assumed I didn't need to worry about this with this newer FI bike (I've had it a month now). I am noticing that if I fire the bike up, let it run for 20-30 seconds or so then take off, I will get some running rough issues for the first 3-5 mins of my ride. It will do it almost every cold start after the bike has sat for several hours. The temp outside here is in the 80s or 90s. What will happen basically is I will get a "cough", usually happens when I am taking off in 1st gear accelerating from a stop. The bike will totally skip a beat and fall on its face for a second, then it will catch and go. Its a real code brown moment when it does it in the middle of a turn from a stop I can tell you that. I am wondering if I just need to let this thing run for a few minutes after a cold start before leaving like I did my old carb bikes, or if there is some kind of issue going on here. Just wondering what you other 883 owners have experienced and if this is something you all have noticed as well. Its done it ever since it had slip ons put on it. I only had it one day before I put slip ons on it so I don't know if it did it before, but I don't see how slip ons would cause something like that anyway so I am assuming that isn't the problem. Hoping its just something normal and not an issue that I'm going to have to track down.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:38 PM
Zateeva
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 148 Posts

try a different tune...... couple mins idling for preride check and be easy or let it warm all the way up before getting on that throttle, mine takes at least 10-15 mins of normal riding to warm up (carb) and act right

Old 07-14-2019, 07:43 PM
latewood816
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Zateeva
try a different tune...... couple mins idling for preride check and be easy or let it warm all the way up before getting on that throttle, mine takes at least 10-15 mins of normal riding to warm up (carb) and act right
Yeah thats how my old carbed bike was too. This morning I let it run for about 5 mins because I forgot something in the house and it ran fine. Didn't do what it normally does. I just didn't think that was something I'd have to do with a fuel injected bike, which makes me wonder if something is wrong. In theory with o2 sensors, a map sensor and an iat it should work the same as a fuel injection system in a car does, and I assume it would compensate for everything and not act up before its warmed up. Thats what makes me wonder if I'm the only one or if someone else has noticed this as well. And as far as the tune goes, it did this before I ever tuned it when I just had slip ons on it with the factory tune. So I don't think its tune related, but I could be wrong.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:11 PM
Bcwalks2
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by latewood816
17 Iron 883 w/ a stage 1. This is my first fuel injected bike. I am used to carbed bikes and having to let them run for a few minutes before taking them down the road. I assumed I didn't need to worry about this with this newer FI bike (I've had it a month now). I am noticing that if I fire the bike up, let it run for 20-30 seconds or so then take off, I will get some running rough issues for the first 3-5 mins of my ride. It will do it almost every cold start after the bike has sat for several hours. The temp outside here is in the 80s or 90s. What will happen basically is I will get a "cough", usually happens when I am taking off in 1st gear accelerating from a stop. The bike will totally skip a beat and fall on its face for a second, then it will catch and go. Its a real code brown moment when it does it in the middle of a turn from a stop I can tell you that. I am wondering if I just need to let this thing run for a few minutes after a cold start before leaving like I did my old carb bikes, or if there is some kind of issue going on here. Just wondering what you other 883 owners have experienced and if this is something you all have noticed as well. Its done it ever since it had slip ons put on it. I only had it one day before I put slip ons on it so I don't know if it did it before, but I don't see how slip ons would cause something like that anyway so I am assuming that isn't the problem. Hoping its just something normal and not an issue that I'm going to have to track down.
I have an 08’ Nightster and this happens to me sometimes. I also will sometimes get a cough when idling when cold...I have a power commander and correct tune. I normally let it run for a minute or two while I put on my gear and then it is fine. These bikes definitely need to warm up before they really start to run well.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:45 PM
latewood816
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Bcwalks2
I have an 08’ Nightster and this happens to me sometimes. I also will sometimes get a cough when idling when cold...I have a power commander and correct tune. I normally let it run for a minute or two while I put on my gear and then it is fine. These bikes definitely need to warm up before they really start to run well.
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that I am not the only one. I don't have an issue with warming it up. Don't think the neighbors will either, considering this bike is a lot quieter than my old carbed sportster with short shots firing up at 6 am.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:08 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

If you're afraid to ride the Iron - I'll gladly take it off your hands...

Did you get your issue resolved, or check all above issues?