Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Additional Driving Lights Options??? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/130098-additional-driving-lights-options.html)

drumer66 07-14-2007 04:15 PM

Additional Driving Lights Options???

Hi Gang,

Has anyone everadded any additional driving lights to the front of their bikes besides the basic headlight.... I've added a better style PIAA style bulb, but it doesnt do all that much more....

I'm curious of everyones opinions on what options are available, and if anyone has pictures of them also.....

I need to get more light ... I'd like to light up the road at night a little more....

jim D

Kenny94945 07-14-2007 04:46 PM

RE: Additional Driving Lights Options???

Well for options there are HD auxilay (sp) lights that both onto the forks for @300.00.
Then there are HD fog lights that bolt to a HD engine guard accessory.
And an HD upgrade for the OEM bulb @20.00
Yet, say...was the PIAA bulb an improvement; what wattage (like 65/100)?

x2lee 07-14-2007 05:13 PM

the newmulti facetedhousing designsare said to give up to 45% usable light which is almost 90% brighter than the reg old parabolic refectors which have about a 27% usable light output. and If you match them up with theclear FF lamp it can get you up around 52% usable light which is more than twice as much light as the reg old HD lights. Theres another thing u can look at also is your headlights get cloudy on the insides, and you can clean them out with a soft painting type brush. halogens give off a gas that clouds the parabolic surfaces of your housings and the insides of your lens. its hard to see but it adds up over time. Just cleaning your housings and inside your lens can give you up to 20% increase with out an upgrade....

EzRyder 07-14-2007 11:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Kenny94945

Well for options there are HUD axial (Sp) lights that both onto the forks for @300.00.
Then there are HD fog lights that bolt to a HD engine guard accessory.

I am in the process of buying a new bike (most likely a Sportster) and have considered adding HD auxiliary lights. Besides additional lights, does anyone think it will make the bike more visible to approaching motorists?

Thanks

SportyPig 07-15-2007 08:52 AM

A friend of mine got a upgraded bulb at the dealer for her Dyna. I think she said it is a 80/120 watt bulb. When mine blows again, I'm gonna check into that. I'm pretty sure the Dyna uses the same bulb as the Sporty.

I ride with her quite a bit at night, and I could tell a huge difference in the light she was putting out on the road.

eggroll 07-15-2007 10:46 AM

ORIGINAL: EzRyder

I am in the process of buying a new bike (most likely a Sportster) and have considered adding HD auxiliary lights. Besides additional lights, does anyone think it will make the bike more visible to approaching motorists?

Thanks
You could have aircraft landing lights all over your bike and some cagers still won't see you.[:@]

Rant over; yeah, a set of auxiliaries will make you more visible, but don't totally count on it.

WRAITH 07-15-2007 11:22 AM

The Piaa and Sylerstar bulbs are the same wattage as your stock bulb.But they produce the equivalent to 80/160 watt.I've use both and they make a big improvement over stock.

Dale Franks 07-15-2007 10:17 PM

I put the Auxiliary Lighting Kit on my Sporty. it was 234 bucks but I'm happy with it.

itsshemp 07-16-2007 01:08 AM

I have the factory set up on mine. True that it does cost about 300 to get them on, but personally, I think it was worth it.

AKsavage 07-16-2007 04:13 AM

I got mine for $183 with tax, on sale in North Dakota last summer. Couldn't tell you what it cost to put 'em on since I had them put on a new windshield at the same time.