Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Tank/Battery Cover Customizing for Cheap.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 03:34 PM
SportsterDude
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Tank/Battery Cover Customizing for Cheap.

..OK..I've got this gorgous Pacific Blue over Pacific Blue Pearl Custom..it all looks good except that the Harley Factory put these ugly black covers on the side of it.
You have a few options as to the cure for these things and if your scooter is black or has black on it your likely ok with these things being black..on mine..they really look outta place.
The Harley Dealer will sell you a set of crome ones for around $100.00 or so.If your into alot of chrome you've likely already gone this route.Unfortunatly..I'm not a chrome kinda guy...too much and a bike just looks over done to me.But,if it works for you...
Another option..the Harley Dealer will let you CUSTOM ORDER a set from the Factory painted to match your bike...for around $170.00.I've seen some of these and they look nice,though the paint never really is a 100% match..variences from batch to batch of paint and all that.Still...I like that idea the most for my Bike..but,not for that kinda money.
So, I went looking around for Automotive Paint that is close to or a match for the colors on my Bike..and found that MOST of the colors in the Harley Brochure are also Auto colors..so,if you'll just shop around a bit you'll be able to duplicate what I've done here..and it only cost me about $15.00 and a few hours work.
First,remove the covers from your Sportster.
Then give them a LIGHT SCUFFING UP with 220 grit sandpaper or better.Note I said scuff..that does'nt mean to sand the old paint away..you dont want to do that.Just kinda scratch it up,thats all.These scratches are there for the new paint to grab onto..
You want to use a 2 part paint system..that means the paint you spray on is a Base coat that is later covered with a Clear cote for gloss.
Something you must remember:make sure that the final Paint cote you spray on comes from the same can for both covers.If you do one cover then comew back later to do the other with a different can of paint it may not be an exact match.Keep that in mind.
Picture 1 shows the Base cote of Paint..note it is dull and smooth.You must have a smooth surface or any irregularities will show thru on the final product.You can practice all of this on the back side of the covers until you get it right and not worry about it showing as the back is unseen when they're on the bike.Believe me,it aint hard to do this and get great results.Lay down about 3 coats of the Base Paint.If your useing a Metalic Paint make sure to agitate (shake) the can every 30 seconds or so to keep those Metalic Flakes stirred up and in the Paint.
Picture 2 shows how to fan the spray accrost the cover to get an even coat of Paint.Also note the Spray Can Pistol Grip..these can be bought at any Paint Store and makes it work more like a spray gun..get one..the results and strain on your hand make it MANDATORY.
Now,your ready for the Clear cote.It goes on the same as paint..do a light coat the first time..wait about 10 minutes then come and do a heavier coat..then come back 10 mins later and do a heavy coat.Your gonna want 4-5 (or more) coats of the clear.DO NOT SAND between coats and try to never hold the can of paint directly over the Covers as you may drip onto the finish.
Picture 3 shows a completed cover..note that it is so glossy you can see me standing a couple foot back taking the pic in the finish.
[color=#0000ff] Pictur 4 is before,with old black covers on the bike.Notice the Pacific Blue Pearl

Old 09-03-2007, 06:09 PM
kawsakimx6
Road Warrior
Default RE: Oil Tank/Battery Cover Customizing for Cheap.

good idea. intrested in the final pics

Old 09-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Nick
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think I am going to go with the chrome but thanks for the info

Old 09-03-2007, 07:43 PM
MJK
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good. Mine came color matched to my bike.............. BLACK[8D]

Old 09-05-2007, 08:23 AM
SportsterDude
Cruiser

[sm=bling.gif]There is the "after" pic posted above..it really looks too bright in that pic but is because of the larger metalic flakes in the aftermarket paint..except for when lit up by a flash or in really bright sunlight it matches the Pearl pretty close.>>>Good Luck Ya'll>> David

Old 09-05-2007, 01:49 PM
daddycoolj
Cruiser

This is what I did for a custom paint job with my covers and saddlebags. Cost counting the bags was less than $200. Hope ya'll like

[IMG]local://upfiles/25321/0F2B18649549493DAC3E3141BB47B48F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25321/9493A3D1E1AC4390B73FB1E695ACBBB8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25321/E05060DF02C3479C8FE6FE3F3E105C42.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25321/F0AD8316EC064E279281A8BC6DE1322F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25321/CE77A76E947C49E09877967E6BEADFA1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-05-2007, 01:53 PM
daddycoolj
Cruiser

This is the before pics on my attempt at the fire but I way over did the purple pearl passion and decicded to get rid of the girlie to much overkill purple

[IMG]local://upfiles/25321/42AA99F3F57B4378ABF67BD04CF6C6AC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-05-2007, 11:14 PM
SportsterDude
Cruiser

I'm just not into flames and did'nt want to spend that much cash on the change.But,yours does look good..even better sans the purple.Cool Bike>>David

Old 09-05-2007, 11:34 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I cannot find anything better than black side covers on my 1200L, don't you think?

ORIGINAL: SportsterDude

..OK..it all looks good except that the Harley Factory put these ugly black covers on the side of it.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:24 AM
SportsterDude
Cruiser

Its your Bike "Auto"..if your happy with it then more power to Ya. But,MY OPINION is that they look outta place along side all that white.>>David

Quick Reply: Oil Tank/Battery Cover Customizing for Cheap.