Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Model designations

Old 11-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Iron Legend
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model designations

What is a C-Model?

I sent an e-mail to the dealer parts deptartment I bought my '03 XLH 883 from inquiring about lower rear shocks and he replied saying that it is not recommended to put lower shocks on a C-Model as it will lower the C-model Sportster too much allowing the tire to contact the fender on hard bumps and to compensate you would have to adjust the preload to a stiffer setting resulting in a harsher ride.

My Sporty seems to have a high enough seat height as it is and I plan to install a Sundowner seat in the spring which I believe will raise the seat height a bit more so I was thinking about getting the next lower shock height and switch them out.

Probably 90% of the time I will be a solo rider and the other 10% my s/o will be on the back. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Tom

Old 11-22-2005, 05:03 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Model designations

On my ride '06 1200c - the "c" designates Custom. Custom is a packed set of add ons that are included in the origonal build of the bike, (chrome, forward controls ect.) accross the board for all "c's" with the exception of the rear tire option. - The shock setup on the "c" is as low as you can get in their opinion and additional lowering is not safe - What I know - someone will prove me wrong as there are ways to make them lower - but not with simple inexpensive bolt on stuff.

Old 11-22-2005, 05:59 PM
AZFlyingDiver
Tourer

I installed 11" Progressive Suspension shocks (model 412) on my '05 Custom - no clearance issues if you install the spacers correctly. It lowered the bike a bit from the stock 11.75" shocks, and the ride is MUCH better. Initially I got the same advice from a dealer (don't lower a Custom), but I since became comfortable after talking with others who have worked it out with no problem. Interesting, too, that the MoCo has a new Sportster Low model out for '06 (XL1200L)... Anyway, the Sportster can be lowered...

Old 11-23-2005, 11:04 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

AZFlyingDiver
It lowered the bike a bit from the stock 11.75" shocks, and the ride is MUCH better.
Not to be a touchhole or ******** - I had an 05Custom and now I have the 06 - what constitues a bit? and what do you mean by MUCH better - I though bot were preety low and both handeled very well. - just a question?

Old 11-23-2005, 12:29 PM
AZFlyingDiver
Tourer

ORIGINAL: molsenice

AZFlyingDiver
It lowered the bike a bit from the stock 11.75" shocks, and the ride is MUCH better.
Not to be a touchhole or ******** - I had an 05Custom and now I have the 06 - what constitues a bit? and what do you mean by MUCH better - I though bot were preety low and both handeled very well. - just a question?
No problem - my seat height lowered 1/2 an inch - doesn't sound like a lot but it made a noticeable difference (somewhat because I'm slightly vertically challenged at 5'6"). For comparison, the '06 1200C has a (laden) seat ht. of 26.50", and what H-D is selling as the '06 1200 Low (1200L) has a laden seat ht. only a quarter inch lower (26.25"). So evidently the MoCo thinks even a quarter inch can make a difference.
As to the ride, definitely better since I don't bottom out as hard (thunk!) especially when riding 2-up. And the normal bumps are soaked up better - I think the progressively wound springs (softer in the first part of travel, then progressively stiffer) do make that difference.
No doubt, both the 05 and 06 Customs are already low and handle well, but it helps some to fine tune the ride... I went through quite a bit of "flight testing" to end up with what I have, maybe I'm just picky!

Old 11-23-2005, 02:52 PM
Iron Legend
Cruiser

Ok, so the 'C' designation would mean it is a Custom model. Therefore with mine having the XLH badge I assume that I can go to a lower shock (I didn't measure the length of the ones on it now but I counted something like 11 or 12 coils....looking at it from the outside).

The dealer in question quoted a price for lower shocks, didn't say what model or anything, as being $298 for Harley shocks and $325 for Progressive Suspension. I'm going to Ottawa tomorrow for an appointment but intend to stop in at the dealership. Any recomendations or advise as to the Custom or Hugger H-D shocks I should be using for my application?

Old 11-23-2005, 02:55 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

picky hell - you know what you want and thats cool with me - on the 05 I did notice the nut knoking when hitting bumps, not as much on the 06 - mabe just haven't hit many - the shocks are set all the way down on the preload - havent picked up the "Official shock wrench" to adjust them - so have nothing of my own experiance to judge by - thanks for the reply

Old 11-23-2005, 02:59 PM
brohrs
Road Captain

I was wondering why you want to lower your bike?

Old 11-23-2005, 03:58 PM
cbrunson
Tourer

You can get Progressive 412 HDs for $167.00 from www.jirehcycles.com in various lengths. If you go shorter, go stiffer IMHO.

You need to know your stock shock length. (hint) --> measure it.

Old 11-23-2005, 04:27 PM
1200c
Road Warrior

Ok, here's the full story as I know it.

Both the 06 custom and 05 custom have exactly the same shocks. They are 11.75" in length. They suck and bottom out easily. You can go with shocks that are 11" from progressive that will ride much better than the 11.75" stock shocks. The most common thing people do is go with the 412 shocks. They will cost you less than $200 and are a good way to go. Progressive also has more expensive shocks; the 440's and 418's but you do not want to go with the 440's if you want shocks as low as 11". If you do, then you will just be wasting your money and the ride won't be all it should be. In sum, the 412 shocks are the ones you want if you want to go low.

If you use the proper spacers from progressive, then you will not have problems with the fender scraping the wheel if they should bottom out.

If you will be riding a lot of two-up or both of you are heavy, then you want the heavy duty springs. Don't get them if you don't need them because the ride will be stiff and harsh. I think you need heavy duty springs if the weight is over 225 lbs.

The best thing to do is to call progressive and they will tell you exactly what you need and offer much better suggestions than any of us can.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Model designations