Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Sportster...Real Bike ??? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/165891-sportster-real-bike.html)

One_Lost_Hippie 11-05-2007 06:08 PM

Sportster...Real Bike ???

Just a little hunt for the honest opinions of the true riders........I own a FLSTC, my OL fell in love with the 1200L which we purchased. Now she seems to have this idea that people do not respect her ride, because she has heard a few statements as sporsters are not a real bike...more like a training bike for getting to the bigger ones....I totaly disagree as I see the sporster as one fast and powerful MOFO...just its to small for my 6'4 275 lbs ass........what made you decide on the sporster and why do you loike them.

Respect & Ride Safe.....OLH

http://www.bikers-roost.com/images/Prozacsmall.JPG

Mikeeeeeeeeee 11-05-2007 06:10 PM

RE: Sportster...Real Bike ???

Nothing wrong with a sporty, except my 6'1 295 lb carcass makes me look like a monkey on a football on one.

They are great bikes.

why_me 11-05-2007 06:12 PM

They are what I pictured in my head from my earliest years as what motorcycle should look like. Bare bones, simple, and quick.

txoval 11-05-2007 06:16 PM

My 1200N is my first bike and I bought it because I felt most comfortable on it and liked the retro look. I also bought the bike because of its price tag. Being a first time buyer/rider I didn't want to invest $20,000 in something I might not enjoy. I always liked/respected motorcycles, but until I rode one (besides the safety course) I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy it. Luckily I enjoy the heck out of it and already feel the need to buy another one.

twisty571 11-05-2007 06:20 PM

5'10 & 175lbs so I like & fit onmy Sportster,I also think it's 1 of the best lookingfactorybikes on the marketbesides an all out custom bobber.Not big on tourers even though I love the look of some of them. Those just haven't been somethingI have wanted to own. My bud has a 84' FLT I may pick-up cheap from him to play with and ride the ol' lady onsince she is afraid to turn the throttle on her bike[&:]We ride 2 up on my Sportster but she gets a little cramped but it does fine for as long as she likes to ride[8D]

Booey424 11-05-2007 06:21 PM

I bought mine for a few reasons.1st I'm 5'4" so a bigger bike would be more of a challenge,but I wanted a Harley my whole life. But the main reason I went with the SPortster is the price.I couldn't afford the bigger bike at the time I got my Sportster.SO I would say price was the biggest factor

schumacher 11-05-2007 06:21 PM

I think we Sporty owners should get 5 bucks for everytime we see this thread...... :D

Dorkman 11-05-2007 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: TUNDRA_schumacher

I think we Sporty owners should get 5 bucks for everytime we see this thread...... :D
Sign me up...

Whistle Dick 11-05-2007 06:25 PM

Here we go again! Who cares if someone "respects" their ride, I don't care what anyone else rides why is it such a deal to some people what some other idiot says??A training bike is a tricycle with tassles on the grips and i little bell you can ring when you are zooming down the sidwalk in front of the neighbors house not a fickin harley no matter what model it is. I ride an 883 custom and I have no issues with it or what anyone else thinks or says and nobody has ever said anything negative to my face about it yet all I hear on this board is what this person says or that person thinks! It's a dang motorcycle for the love of christ!

whaap 11-05-2007 06:25 PM

I've had many bikes over the year. The biggest was a new Gold Wing in 1994. My last bike (before this one) was a BMW R1150 RT. My 05 1200 C makes me smile more than I've smiled in a long time. With the exception of the V-Rod, it's the hot rod of Harleys.

The only people that bad mouth Sportsters are people who have never ridden them.