Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin Eagle Cams

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Dr.Jekyll
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Screamin Eagle Cams

I will let you know what I find out this weekend. I am going to talk to a couple of bike builders I know just to pick their brains a bit.

I would think an after market cam with more lift would provide more horsepower with the proper air cleaner and re-jetting of the carburetor. Also lets not forget some high flow exhaust to let out all the extra fuel an air I'll be pumping in. As for the proper cam duration for low to mid-range tork that is what I will try and find out this weekend I'll keep you posted. (2004 1200R- Stage one upgrade so far).

------------
PS

1200c

I don't see how more rpm with a stock cam would provide more hp except at a range most people do not operate in. A factory cam is only going to lift so high no matter how fast you turn it. I could be wrong though I am still investigating.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Dr.Jekyll
Advanced

ORIGINAL: cHarley

So, does anyone have any recomendations for mid range cams for a 04-06 1200?
------------------

Just found these. Not screamin eagle, but might be worth looking at.

http://www.jpcycles.com/productdetai...store=&pag SS

Old 12-14-2007, 03:17 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

We installed the SE "E" cams in my 2005 1200C.

It's a 'direct bolt in' modification, and on the 2004+ models no other machine or head work is required.

The SE "E" cams have a duration of .249, and a lift of .551.

After the new cams were installed the bike was tuned to optimize the A/F ratio throughout the operating range, and the performance difference was very noticeable.

I haven't put the bike on a dyno for before and after results, but the Harley mechanic friend I know told me that you can usually see a 8 to 10 horsepower increase from using the "E" cams, at least on the 1200 Sportsters they have put on dyno's.

There is no noticeable loss of power in the low range,and themid and upper RPM increase in power is outstanding.

Here is a description of the SE "E" cams;

The new SE "E" grind is a terrific high-torque grind, relatively narrow with high lift and exceptional valvetrain dynamics. Note that this grind is a bolt-in for 2004 models but in 2003 and earlier models, better springs are required. Also note that it has a .050 smaller base circle than the 2003 and earlier grinds, consider this when calculating ideal pushrod length. This is the same cam grind (but not the same set of cams) that comes in new Buell XB models.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Dr.Jekyll
Advanced

Hi OldFenderguy

I was wondering what pipes and air cleaner you are using ? Also I can't remember if the 05 is carbed or fuel injected pretty sure carb, but any way did you re jet or leave everything as is after your cam installation.

Thanks for the info.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:43 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr.Jekyll

Hi OldFenderguy

I was wondering what pipes and air cleaner you are using ? Also I can't remember if the 05 is carbed or fuel injected pretty sure carb, but any way did you re jet or leave everything as is after your cam installation.

Thanks for the info.
I don't really want to speak for OFG but his bike was Stage 1 (pipes & A/C) before the cams. As he said in his post:
"After the new cams were installed the bike was tuned to optimize the A/F ratio throughout the operating range, and the performance difference was very noticeable."

That means the carb was rejetted.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:44 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Thanks for the info OFG.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:56 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: cHarley

Hi OldFenderguy

Thanks for the info.
I don't really want to speak for OFG but his bike was Stage 1 (pipes & A/C) before the cams. As he said in his post:
"After the new cams were installed the bike was tuned to optimize the A/F ratio throughout the operating range, and the performance difference was very noticeable."

That means the carb was rejetted.

What you say is true....

I'm not sure of the exact carb jetting, as I turned the bike over to a local 'carb guru' that works on many of our bikes.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Dr.Jekyll
Advanced

Question : with the current stage one upgrade do you think you are getting the most out of the cam or do you think if a person wanted to play around some more with a larger intake and some higher flowing exhaust ( not straight pipes) they might get even more hp and tork out of the current cam you are using.

Or is it as good as it gets with the current set up and a larger intake and exhaust would be a waste of money and not wort the effort.

Thanks

Old 12-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Dr.Jekyll
Advanced

Also thanks charley

I guess I read over the A/F part just didnt click right away. Brain fart I guess.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:53 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Question : with the current stage one upgrade do you think you are getting the most out of the cam or do you think if a person wanted to play around some more with a larger intake and some higher flowing exhaust ( not straight pipes) they might get even more hp and tork out of the current cam you are using.

Or is it as good as it gets with the current set up and a larger intake and exhaust would be a waste of money and not wort the effort.

Thanks
Doing Stage 1 implies you have installed both a high flowing exhaust & A/C and rejetted/remapped. Performance will vary depending on what you choose for your exhaust & A/C. If you install the cams you will likely need to rejet/remap again.

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle Cams