Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin Eagle Cams

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Dr.Jekyll
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Screamin Eagle Cams

ORIGINAL: cHarley

ORIGINAL: Dr.Jekyll

Question : with the current stage one upgrade do you think you are getting the most out of the cam or do you think if a person wanted to play around some more with a larger intake and some higher flowing exhaust ( not straight pipes) they might get even more hp and tork out of the current cam you are using.

Or is it as good as it gets with the current set up and a larger intake and exhaust would be a waste of money and not wort the effort.

Thanks
Doing Stage 1 implies you have installed both a high flowing exhaust & A/C and rejetted/remapped. Performance will vary depending on what you choose for your exhaust & A/C. If you install the cams you will likely need to rejet/remap again.
--------------------

I understand all of that I have the stage one done on my 1200R as well. What I was getting at is they make some pretty big intakes out there and if you wanted to mess around with trying to cram more air and more fuel into the bike would the new cam this cam handle it.Or is it maxed out with the standard high flow intake most people are using and re jetting of course.

Because you have your high flow air intakes and then you have your really high flow air intakes I have seen high flow intake manifolds as well. Together with re jetting you could get quit a bit of A/F into your bike.

I am just brain storm in here I don't have anything but theory and curiosity as to the reason for my questions here. Just wondering what people think and how far they have taken there stock bikes before having to do major head work.

Thanks again

Old 12-14-2007, 06:23 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

And then, you could also add a turbocharger.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:26 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PS

1200c

I don't see how more rpm with a stock cam would provide more hp except at a range most people do not operate in. A factory cam is only going to lift so high no matter how fast you turn it. I could be wrong though I am still investigating.
Typically, more rpm with a stock cam does not provide more hp. However, I have a modification done that continues to produce power all the way up to 6300 rpm with the stock cam. Look at this dyno chart:

Do you see in one the stock cams aren't producing anymore power and it is dropping off? In the other one it continues to produce power until it starts hitting the rev limiter. By 6300 rpm there is a difference of ~5 hp or so between the two.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:32 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1200c

PS

1200c

I don't see how more rpm with a stock cam would provide more hp except at a range most people do not operate in. A factory cam is only going to lift so high no matter how fast you turn it. I could be wrong though I am still investigating.
Typically, more rpm with a stock cam does not provide more hp. However, I have a modification done that continues to produce power all the way up to 6300 rpm with the stock cam. Look at this dyno chart:

Do you see in one the stock cams aren't producing anymore power and it is dropping off? In the other one it continues to produce power until it starts hitting the rev limiter. By 6300 rpm there is a difference of ~5 hp or so between the two.
Deleted.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:41 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You already havea good set of cams. You should concentratre on a big bore kit and head work.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:50 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr.Jekyll

Question : with the current stage one upgrade do you think you are getting the most out of the cam or do you think if a person wanted to play around some more with a larger intake and some higher flowing exhaust ( not straight pipes) they might get even more hp and tork out of the current cam you are using.

Or is it as good as it gets with the current set up and a larger intake and exhaust would be a waste of money and not wort the effort.

Thanks
Really depends on how far you want to go, and how much money you want to invest.....

I was looking for a 100% dependable setup in which I could get the most out of the engine without going with headwork, etc...

With my current setup I'm probably pulling8 to 10 additionalhorsepower at the rear wheel over a well tuned 'stock' 2004+ 1200, and that is all the power I want (or will ever need) out of the Sportster.

I'm a very conservative rider (can't even remember the last time I went 'full throttle'), and use my bikes mainly for higher speed cruising. I could care less about the 'ride it like you stole it' you see quoted so often.

You would gain some additional horsepower by doing some headwork, but to me the cost wouldn't justify the additional power. But to some it might...

If I was looking for a serious power increase over what I currently have I would probably pull the trigger and go with a 88" upgrade.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:48 PM
1200c
Road Warrior

Here is probably what OFG's power curve looked like. Here is a bike stage 1 with stock cams vs. the .551 cams.

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...p;mid=791#M791

As you see you sacrafice some power under 4500 rpm to gain some more above 4500 rpm with the greatest gains with the redline bumped up. One to thing remember about the Latus dyno is that it's a happy dyno and they do all their pulls in 5th gear and use STD correction, which results in greater power in both cases. The standard is 4th gear and SAE.

If your bike never sees rpm above 5000 rpm, then you really have to wonder if the cams are worth it.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:38 PM
1200c
Road Warrior

Some more random thoughts:

When you change the cams, it is also a good idea to get an adjustable ignition module and optimize the timing. When you change the cams you typically need to tune the timing as well. Although, this is not always the case and your stock timing will be fine (although not optimal).

Why I chose to set the redline of my bike at 6300 rpm is simple. 1) I managed to get the stock cams to produce power up to there meaning they aren't empty revs and manage to raise my top speed. 2) 6300 rpm = ~4000 FPM (right where you want it for a street engine). Also, the XB buells although they have a redline of 6800 rpm can only sustain 6400 rpm (4064 FPM) [only true for XB's before 2008].