Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   apes (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/179257-apes.html)

Steel 12-27-2007 08:09 PM

apes

Hello Folks.
I am thinking of putting apehangers on my 01 custom, and was wondering what anyone thought of what height and type of apes to go with. Any input would be helpful.
Thanks

valveguide 12-27-2007 08:55 PM

RE: apes

To each his own is great I guess.

Are those comfortable ?

When I go on a ride it might be 800 miles in a day.

The thing I am thinking , I at times like to take a hand off the bars to relax it.

Apes to me seem like the ride would get ? wobbly ...

GothMetalGuitarist 12-28-2007 02:51 AM

Apes are great. I urge you to try them. Don't ever go on what someone else says. My bike became much more manageable, easier to turn, better balance with the apes. I can easily ride 1 handed, no handed, with confidence. And I wouldn't have believed it until I tried it. I hated apes.. I had all the usual arguemnts. Not comfortable, dangerous... blah blah... If you likem, or wanna experiment, I say, go for it! All the usual rules apply. Be safe, etc. Let us know how it turns out.

dbleagle 12-28-2007 04:31 AM

I'll second what Goth said...

Though I think you can easily go overboard on a sportster, meaning the height and width... but with the right proportions I think they look and feel great...

Charlie D.

scrappy883r 12-28-2007 05:09 AM

The apes look cool but remember some states have laws on how tall they can be. Here in NH the is
266:77 Grips; Handlebars. – No person shall drive on a way a motorcycle on which the grips are higher than the shoulder level of the driver when in the seat or saddle. It shall be illegal to drive a motorcycle with improvised, defective, or repaired handlebars.

FandA M 12-28-2007 08:15 AM

Yeah..........in Volusia County in Fl. it's no higher than your shoulder.It's different in other counties.F@CK 'em!!! Ape hangers are very comfortable bars .No wobble or any differencefrom any other bars,just puts your hand in a different position. I love 'em and I won't own a bike without 'em.They gotta be at least 14"-15" inches to considered ape hangers.Anything smaller are minis and aren't really ape hangers although they can be pretty comfortable and cool looking on some bikes as well.Anyway, I say try 'em I think you'll be surprised

[IMG]local://upfiles/36280/D2B295E331F04C7EA71459110D8DCF5F.jpg[/IMG]

Batley 01-04-2008 04:28 AM

Go with what feels comfortable. I am thinking 14" for me down the line.

king96 01-09-2008 12:54 PM

Well, todayisthe day I bring my rk in for apes..16"-18"?? the shop will call me back for a sitting when they have the old bars off to fit me with the right sizeapes. I'll keep you informed and pics to follow.

out

king96 01-09-2008 05:52 PM

I did it.....I sprung for the Physco chubby's 18" well see when it's done!

rontech 01-10-2008 10:09 PM

Just wondering, cause I was thinking about apes also, is, do your hands go numb after having them on the apes (above the heart) for very long?