Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:57 PM
badazzdiesel
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Adjustment

can you have the idle on a 2007 fuel injected, turned down? i have a nightster AND I WANT IT TO IDLE A LITTLE SLOWER!!! how can i accomplish this?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Sail and Ride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Idle Adjustment

I don't know, but I'd like my '98 XL883 to idle slower. About 900, 1000, instead of the 1600 it does now.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:28 PM
BLKXL12C
Road Master

Sail and Ride yours has a carb and badazzdiesel is fuel injected. Sorry I don't know how to help you you may need to check with your dealer.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:30 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The 98 is simple. There is an idle adjustment screw, just get the bike warmed up, and adjust the screw.

07....good luck!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:08 PM
CMC
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

The 98 is simple. There is an idle adjustment screw, just get the bike warmed up, and adjust the screw.

07....good luck!
Where would one find the idle adjustment screw on a 2004 1200?

Old 02-12-2008, 06:33 PM
kawsakimx6
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: CMC

07....good luck!
this is the bottom of the carb. and the GREEN circle is the Idle adjustment screw

Old 02-12-2008, 06:43 PM
telecom26330
4th Gear

If im thinking right, It can be accomplished if you have the screaming eagle race tuner. I remember using my race tuner software seeing a section for idle adjustment based on engine temp.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:16 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: kawsakimx6

07....good luck!
this is the bottom of the carb. and the GREEN circle is the Idle adjustment screw

WROOOOOOOOOOOONG!!! That is your Idle MIXTURE screw.... mess with that and not know what you are doing and hose your bike. Your idle adjustment screw is the one up near your throttle cable pully on the carb.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as EFI...you need to have that checked by the stealer....it involves remapping and such...yes, you can adjust it on the TB, but I wouldn't...let them do it if it's still under warranty.

Now for carbed models....

Ok....here goes....do NOTsimplyadjust your idle speed screw...and do NOT simply adjust your idle MIX screw either...do it RIGHT...tuning a carb wrong will eff up your plugs, cause detonation, and build up so much carbon in your heads it's unbelievable...tune your carb correctly and your idle willnot be that high.

To save you some searching time...here it is in a few easy steps...

1. Warm your bike up.
2. Turn the idleSPEED screw two full turns to raise it to a fast idle.
3. Turn your idle MIXTURE screw all the way in until it's SNUG (clockwise)....your bike shouldn't die when you do this.
4. SLOWLY back off the idle SPEED screw, allow the engine time to keep up with your adjustment until it barely runs or dies.
5. Turn theMIXTURE screw out 2 full turns and start the bike.
6. Adjust the MIXTURE by ear until you like what you hear, ride it to be sure. If it's too low for you, raise the SPEED screw about a 1/4 of a turn to a 1/2 a turn and back your mix off (counter cw) about 1/2 turn to richen it up. This will compensate for the faster idle.

This is a summarized version...but it's the correct way to set your idle and make sure your bike is running the way it should be.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: GothMetalGuitarist

ORIGINAL: kawsakimx6

07....good luck!

WROOOOOOOOOOOONG!!! That is your Idle MIXTURE screw.... mess with that and not know what you are doing and hose your bike. Your idle adjustment screw is the one up near your throttle cable pully on the carb.
EXACTLY WRONG!!!!

I was hoping when I made that post that someone would supply a pic. But You'd better know WTF you're doing if you start messing that THAT screw that is circled in green.

The idle adjustment screw is on the top of the carb, and I don't think I can point it out verbally. I'm sure some of these guys have a good pic of the carb, that shows the correct screw.

Quick Reply: Idle Adjustment