Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering my Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 09:44 PM
stevetothink
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering my Roadster

I have Sporster 1200 Roadster and I'd like to lower it. Any suggestions and ideas of what it might cost?

Old 01-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Lowering my Roadster

Don't know what it would cost but I'd not do it at any price. I'm scraping my right side on the right roads on a stocker at the moment.

Thumper26

Old 01-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Shift_4lo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I scrape at low speed turns with my roadster but are you looking just to lower it or are you looking for a nice and stiff suspenion do you want it to be adjustable.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:22 AM
Redhawk
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to this link http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/index.shtml Do a search for lowering kit. This is what I put on mine & lowered it 1-1/2".

Old 01-28-2006, 09:22 PM
stevetothink
6th Gear

I'm looking to lower it so I'm a little closer to the ground when seated. I feel like my center of gravity is too high sometimes. When I ride my friend's custom, it feels better.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:55 AM
AZFlyingDiver
Tourer

ORIGINAL: stevetothink

I'm looking to lower it so I'm a little closer to the ground when seated. I feel like my center of gravity is too high sometimes. When I ride my friend's custom, it feels better.
Stock shocks on the newer Customs are 11.75". You might consider going with slightly shorter aftermarket shocks (Progressive Suspension gets good reviews - I have the 412s and love 'em) than on the Roadster (that are 12.5", I think). 11.5" might do the trick for you (I have 11"ers but wanted to go lower than the stock Customs). The lowering kits that simply offset the lower shock mount do lower the seat height, but they also change the geometry and don't improve the crappy stock shocks - a harsher, easily-bottomed can be the result. All that said, the Roadster is well-suited for cornering twisties, and more suspension travel, rather than less, is usually preferred (some Roadster riders even raise their rides - that's why rice rockets aren't easily flat-footed either). If you don't mind sacrificing some of the travel for a lower bike, though, it can be done. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2006, 11:23 PM
stevetothink
6th Gear

If I lower the shocks, will I need to lower the front end also?

Old 02-01-2006, 03:55 PM
AZFlyingDiver
Tourer

ORIGINAL: stevetothink

If I lower the shocks, will I need to lower the front end also?
Not necessary unless you want to go even lower. If you like the seat height with just shorter shocks, I'd say just leave things alone at that point. If you do lower the front, just don't go lower in the front than you did on the rear. To lower the front, some have moved the fork tubes up a bit (slid them up the triple trees about an inch). Also, Progressive makes a fork spring lowering kit that has progressively wound fork springs and PVC spacers to lower the front up to 2".

Old 02-02-2006, 12:42 AM
ronn39
Road Master

I sure don't see any advantage in lowering a Roadster unless you're seriously vertically challenged. I do like the looks of my Custom, but it's too low to suit me. I'd be tickled to death to trade you shocks, but I'm working on getting the cookie jar a little fatter to buy the 12-inch Progressives.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Ruthie10HD
1st Gear

from experience, i have a 1200 roadster and with it being the tallest sporty i definetely had to lower it. im not even 5'2" so i wanted my feet flat on the ground so i purchased the shocks from the 883 low and also got new mounting brackets for the shocks, along with a new low profile seat. i went from my tip toes touching to having my feet flat on the ground comfortably and spend around 400$ dollars or so because i went all HD. by using the new mounting brackets i dont have much room between my rear fender and rear tire, but im only about 115 lbs so i dont have to worry about bumps. it was definetely worth it for me.

Quick Reply: Lowering my Roadster