Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried to install a set of Rush mufflers today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Kski
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried to install a set of Rush mufflers today...

And I think I failed.[>:] Here are a set of pictures to help explain what I'm talking about. First off, the bracket that holds the pipe tight against the body is broken. I don't know if I did it today or if it was from the drop or if it was like that before I bought it. But it's cracked right in half. So, I'm gonna need a new one of those. Also, there's a gasket of some kind inside the hole on the side of the muffler. Well, the new pipes don't have it and when I bought them today from the dealership the parts guy said I shouldn't have to worry about them. I tried to gently tug it out of the stock pipes but I didn't wanna destroy them if there was some technique to getting them out. But anyway, do I actually have to have that gasket then? He said he has the same bike and said I didn't have to worry about it. Please let me know. I'm missing an awesome day for riding here because I broke my freakin' bike.

[IMG]local://upfiles/55530/F0AAA0FB0F5A4AAB8A2B459FFB712D48.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/55530/C61AE33488AD40529E78DB948F9DC72E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/55530/324B798932DF479BA70566293A81DD53.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/55530/F025E9DF4267489AAB279FEFAD26FEE6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tried to install a set of Rush mufflers today...

You will need new gaskets. The parts guy was an idiot for telling you otherwise..

Old 04-10-2008, 04:19 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go get the new gaskets. Those are for where slipons join crossover.....You absolutely have to have them....they are made of spun stainless steel wool and are very fragile.....if you have a leak there you will have popping on decel.

Also get new head flange gaskets and be prepared to use them....it is most easy to install new slipons if you first loosen headerflange at heads so you can manipulate slipons and not damage new gaskets at crossover/slipon joints.

While you are at dealer also pickup replacement for broken bracket.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kski

And I think I failed.[>:] Here are a set of pictures to help explain what I'm talking about. First off, the bracket that holds the pipe tight against the body is broken. I don't know if I did it today or if it was from the drop or if it was like that before I bought it. But it's cracked right in half. So, I'm gonna need a new one of those. Also, there's a gasket of some kind inside the hole on the side of the muffler. Well, the new pipes don't have it and when I bought them today from the dealership the parts guy said I shouldn't have to worry about them. I tried to gently tug it out of the stock pipes but I didn't wanna destroy them if there was some technique to getting them out. But anyway, do I actually have to have that gasket then? He said he has the same bike and said I didn't have to worry about it. Please let me know. I'm missing an awesome day for riding here because I broke my freakin' bike.

[IMG]local://upfiles/55530/F0AAA0FB0F5A4AAB8A2B459FFB712D48.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/55530/C61AE33488AD40529E78DB948F9DC72E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/55530/324B798932DF479BA70566293A81DD53.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/55530/F025E9DF4267489AAB279FEFAD26FEE6.jpg[/IMG]
I am totally lost about, "the bracket that holds the pipe tight against the body..." beingbroken. Mine don't seem to mount the same as yours (mine's a 2005 R)??? Mine mount to brackets welded to the crossover pipes and I have had different mufflers on and off my bike at least a half-dozen times with no problems with the attachment points to the crossover tubes. Sorry, I wish I could help you there but I'm lost with how yours are mounted. Did a mounting flange break off the bike or muffler?

As far as the gaskets, YES, you need them. The parts guy is full of something besides good advice. They are fragile gaskets and should first go on and over the crossover pipe locations on the bike, and then you "place" the crossover pipe opening of the new muffler on top of the gasket and gently push down to seat the gasket on each muffler. Once that's done, bolt them on,tighten the clamp over the muffler to the exhaust pipe, tighten exhaust head flanges if you loosened them, and you're good to go.

One other thing. Dealers don't generally stock a lot of the crossover pipe gaskets, so get two sets. You'll probably wipe out his stock doing so, but at least you'll have a spare set if you need them. They're only like $3.60 for a pair.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

That bracket is fairly sturdy, it was probably broke when the bike was dropped. Thumper, it is the bracket that bolts to the drive sprocket cover and holds the rear pipe as it comes out of the head. And as stated above you do need the brillo pad gaskets. I am starting to wonder about your parts guy.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:59 PM
pepfan25
Intermediate

yeah you need that mesh gasget. just put a screw driver in it and pop it out. dont worry about messing iy up cause it will mesh right into place on your new mufflers.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Kski
Tourer

Yep, problems solved. New post was made saying that they're installed. I love em and I recommend them to everyone.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Golfgurl
Cruiser

I got the same pipes and LOVE them... mine didn't have the gaskets either..

WHY DON'T THEY SELL EVERYTHING YOU NEED so you don't have to go BACK to the store.. that really pisses me off too!

But you do have to have the gaskets FOR SURE!
good luck and enjoy.. they sound really nice.

Lisa

Old 04-11-2008, 07:50 AM
karaokeman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok I'm reading these post about gaskets - I just purchased Rush Slip-Ons myself and waiting for arrival.
I also was told I wouldn't need anything else to install --just take old ones off and "slip" these on using all stock hardware?.................Will I be halfway thru and realize I needsomething ??????
(2008 883L)[:@]

Old 04-11-2008, 10:31 AM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: karaokeman

ok I'm reading these post about gaskets - I just purchased Rush Slip-Ons myself and waiting for arrival.
I also was told I wouldn't need anything else to install --just take old ones off and "slip" these on using all stock hardware?.................Will I be halfway thru and realize I needsomething ??????
(2008 883L)[:@]
yes you will need the cross over gaskets as stated before they are cheap about 3.00-5.00 dollars to replace . one more bit of advise to all new riders , spend the 50.00 and get a service manual it will save you a ton of problems.

Quick Reply: Tried to install a set of Rush mufflers today...