Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you ride a Sportster?

Old 05-02-2008, 08:18 AM
JC Rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do you ride a Sportster?

I am 60 and when I was coming up, a Sportster was the ride to have. So it's my child hood revisited. I like the way they look.
And cuz I want too, ya got a problem with that ? Well, huh ?
(Just kidding)

And I can't stand the Geezer Slides, Road Couches, they look to encumbered with all the junk on them, you can't even see the bike.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:21 AM
DE Nightster
Novice

The bare-bones, raw essence of what a motorcycle should be. Plus, when I saw the Nightster, I had to have it!!!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:44 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It just looks like the classic American motorcycle.

And while I dream of riding the Long Way Round on a bigger HD, the reality of my riding is that 90% of it is within 20 miles from home. It's perfect for that.

I'm really trying to scheme a way to get another bike without giving up my Sporty. Despite the thread in the "General" forum, I just don't see having the same amount of fun riding an FLHR for what I do in that 90% of the time. Having a 6th gear would be nice, real nice, though. But, the Sportster still seems to me like the pure HD.

So my wife, who rides a Heritage and would like me to get a more touring-oriented bike for road trips, has been giving me grief about considering a Heritage/Fatboy/Road King for myself, because of the expense. But, suddenly after we watched "Long Way Round," she is a all about me getting a GS and keeping my Sporty (a GS is about 2/3 the price of an FLHR or an FLSTC). So that might be the answer. One Harley that, to me, is the classic one, and then something completely different.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 AM
jlsporty
Cruiser

My bike was a second bike to a buddy with a road king. My car had just gotten totaled and I was either going to buy a nice car or something cheap and a bike. I went riding with my buddy to try out the sporty and had to have it after that. Needless to say I drive a old beat down jeep in the winter but am as happy as can be all summer long on the sporty.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

quick, nimble, affordable, and a great DD to accompany a RK in a year or so.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Binny
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to get on an HD forum...w/ all my cyber buddies...........

had all kinds and lots of different HD's over the years............but I told my self, that when HD comes out with:
-rubber mount eng
-FI............................
........I'd buy a new one.....and I did........B.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Mandog
Road Master

ORIGINAL: TigerofH

ORIGINAL: Mandog

ORIGINAL: TigerofH

I have a couple of reasons. The price was right for one. Two, I hate the "grandpa" bikes as I call them. And three, I'm with gypsy, if I wanted cruise control and a radio, I would drive my car.
Grandpa Bikes ???? Now that's a low blow and insulting. It would be more politically correct to use the term Geezer Glide. At least that's what my wife calles my bagger.
No offense meant. I know I'm stereotyping them, but I don't seem to many younger guys out there on a Road King. Besides, I just don't like the look of them. But if you like them, more power to you. I'm sure the guys in the home like them too.
I was kidding.....I took no offense at all....That's why I even called my Ultra a Geezer Glide. I am just lucky enough to be able to have my other two for all my moods

Old 05-02-2008, 09:45 AM
karaokeman
Road Captain

Been riding dirt bikes since I was 8yrs old (40yrs ago) . Had my share of street bikes in my 20's ( Yamahas / Kawas / Suzikis) -- All the time I envied my best friends brotherwho alwys had Harleys (Sportsters / Panheads / etc)

Stopped riding for about 15 years and knew some day I would buy a HARLEY- whichI did 2 months ago.
I'm a short Italian guy and theSPORTSER was a good choice for me and my wallet , some friends try to talk me upto one of the OTHER Harleys but something about the SPORTSTER history made me stick with it. Come on FATBOY ?
SOFT TAIL ?? ---just kidding - If I ever plan to take LONG trips or extended HIGHWAY rides I would trade up but for NOW ... I'm learnning to enjoy riding my 1st Harley and enjoying the experiance

Old 05-02-2008, 10:06 AM
BLKXL12C
Road Master

Because it's a girls bike, so all of the girls check out mine and I get to ride with all the girls and the guys with the big twins become jealous. For some reason I really like females.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Ric27
Road Captain

"If I wanted to be on a super smooth ride with radio, cruise control, etc. I would just drive my car "

Dito:

I've always love Sportsters. All Harleys are cool as hell. I decided to get a bike and looked for one I could pay cash for and it had to be a Harley. Well I couldn't be happer with the bike I was able to buy. I'd love to have a Deluxe or Heritage and maybe I will someday but right now I am living a dream come true. Riding a Harley Davidson Sportster.

Ric

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do you ride a Sportster?