Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Money finally coming in, some opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Zane Nelson
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Money finally coming in, some opinions please!

Wall of text incoming! Parts are in the middle if you want to skip ahead.

Hey guys so my last semester of college is about to start and I am going to be taking out my student loans along with my grants as usual. Goal here is getting my bike basically exactly as I like it. However I figured since I got such a turd of a interest rate from off bat with the dealership, I am going to pay off my bike with a loan through my bank which I started with when I was 17, now 24. So I'll have the entire bike paid off and actually mine, bank loan is personal apparently through my bank rather than vehicle refi.

I should have roughly 1500 to 2500 that I intend to put into my 2013 Iron 883 and wanted to know what you guys think. Obviously its a decent chunk of change for most parts so I was wondering what you guys would do as far as what first or any other parts recommendations.

Leaning towards cafe styling if that makes the recommendations easier. Currently have VH big radius 2-2 exhaust, stage 1 map on the bike, and its stock aside from that handlebars, passenger pegs, and badlander seat 2 up seat.

RSD clip-ons
RSD speedo/headlight relocater
Progessive 412's 13.5"
RSD cafe seat
Hammer 1250/ SE 1200 kit
DK outlaw ac/ RSD clairty ac - havent decided really as far as ac goes.
Intiminators?

From what I've read the RSD clip-ons have a nice downturn to the thus making it easier on the wrists, 220 basically out the door. Anyone else familiar with another good brand or cheaper but quality set of clip-ons?

I've relocated my speedo currently with the autometer braket so technically its not necessary to do and it would save me a nice chunk of change to skip but I love the look of it, not totally necessary.

The 412's heard good things about them as a decent suspension. Also about 220 so the price is really good. Is there going to be that much of a difference between these or a 400/500 pair? The intiminators are good but they could be cheaper. Figured the front would need some loving as well but the rear is slightly more important to me currently to raise up.

Finally the center piece being the engine. I want to go up to 1200/1250. However my bike is still under warranty and even though I will outright own it I doubt the hammer kit will keep my engine warranty in place as its a 2013. I do have full coverage for insurance along with additional coverage for aftermarket parts just in case. So is it worth it to go to the dealership and get screwed via hourly rates and the HD 1200 kit or go with the Hammer kit? Basic hammer kit for now for reference.

Going to go search on gearing right now but anyone have a rough estimate as to pricing to bump the gearing up with the extra power to pull a higher top speed with either of those kits? 130 would be awesome! Thanks in advance for all the info guys.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:29 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

i guess i missed something here , do you have a job or something that you're going to use to pay off your student loans ? i think you should do that before adding to the amount you owe .

if you are working or have a job lined up then sure go ahead and spend money , it keeps the economy going

Old 08-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Zane Nelson
Advanced

Internship 2 for teaching, technically speaking I should be getting a job at the school I do my internship at so long as I do good and all that jazz. Either way I currently work in a pharmacy part time but its 33 hours a week, and once I finish school this semester I'll move to full time if I dont get a job out the door. Currently I make enough to pay all of these bills and have living expenses covered. Only reason I want to do this is because I'll have extra left over because of my grant money and scholarships are covering more this semester thus this extra moola.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:42 PM
BlkSheep
Tourer

Originally Posted by not_so_newb
i guess i missed something here , do you have a job or something that you're going to use to pay off your student loans ? i think you should do that before adding to the amount you owe .

if you are working or have a job lined up then sure go ahead and spend money , it keeps the economy going
Always someone in the crowd that wants to talk sensible and rationale! Ruining the fun and crushing the dreams of the foolish and less experienced! Must be a damn parent talkin' like that! Lol

Have a feeling this thread could get interesting discussion and feedback!

Old 08-14-2013, 10:18 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

Zane , congratz to you for having your life so together at 24 , good to hear you've got a plan ! enjoy your bike and whichever mods you decide on

Blksheep , me ? a parent ? oh what a scary thought !
no i'm just a guy pushing 60 who spent money i didn't have and then got laid off and ended up selling my bike and i'm still not out of debt and still not working and thought i'd suggest a little caution .

Old 08-14-2013, 11:06 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I'd say stick with the warranty, either wait to do a Hammer kit, or go with the HD kit now. Performance/$ I think you're further ahead with Hammer, but you'd lose your warranty.

Gearing: afaik you have the same 29T belt drive sprocket as a 1200, but I'm pretty sure you have the 883 primary, so you could change the primary and chain to get the 1200 ratio. You could go to a 30T international belt sprocket.
Or just go with a 32T belt sprocket (aftermarket). Each tooth is about 3 1/2% difference.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:38 PM
jolee1118
5th Gear

Got $2500 ? Buy 8 shares of AMZN. Cash out when you turn 50. Then, buy anything you want.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Zane Nelson
Advanced

My biggest turn off to the HD kit is that I wont be making as much, slightly less than the 1250, but also the cost through the stealership. Labor is probably going to be in the 9-12 hour range which is going to be a tremendous chunk of money thrown away. I've been reading threads with "newbies" doing the conversions themselves after only doing basic maintenance mods/ upkeep and them turning out good. I have a buddy who is in MMI and I have no doubt between the two of us we could do it fairly easily. I suppose I just need to contact the dealership and see what if anything I can do as far as maintaining the engine warranty without going through them.

My bike is my daily driver got it back in January and I just rolled to 5200 miles. I am at a point where I can finally do everything or mostly everything I want to it and still be financially stable.

Anyone have any input on any other parts or reviews if you have used or are currently using them? Surprised that you guys would not want another build thread around here, thanks though for everyone trying to keep me realistic monetarily.