Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Memphis Shades on Nightster - Not horrible (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/242016-memphis-shades-on-nightster-not-horrible.html)

levi 06-04-2008 10:44 AM

Memphis Shades on Nightster - Not horrible

I will post my pictures soon, but I must say, the Memphis Shades windshield (system) is pretty sweet and actually doesn't look horrible on my Nightster. I have seen this exact setup on this site before but I can't find the post right now. So whoever you are, thanks for sharing. It helped me to decide which windshield to buy. (I may edit this post later with that post if I can find it).

Like a lot of people on this forum I was VERY hesitant put a windshield on my Nightster because I bought this particular bike for it's 'old school', stripped-down look. But with gas prices the way they are, I am forced to ride my bike a lot more than usual, so I had to sacrafice some 'style' for a more comfortable & safe ride by adding the windshield when needed (hence the quick-detach style).

The install took less than 20 minutes TOTAL and that includes opening the box and unpacking the contents.
The bracket system is VERY straight forward and there was no need for any relocation of any lights or cables etc... It even comes with two allen wrenches to install the brackets. Overall, I'm very pleased with the whole thing.

The model I got was the Del Ray (black) with quick detach mounting kit (stock photo below).
I got it from CycleSpot.com.
Part numbers:
MDM9930 (mounting kit)
MEP5011 (windshield)

To my door, it was $155. This is half the price of the HD model and a lot less intrusive.

http://www.cyclespot.com/Merchant2/g...01/MEP5011.jpg

CatDaddy 06-04-2008 10:52 AM

RE: Memphis Shades on Nightster - Not horrible

Very nice. I just ordered mine last weekend and it's supposed to be here on Friday. Can't wait, never riden with a windshield.

Nightster 13 06-04-2008 05:51 PM

post some pics as soon as you get it or you find that other post, I'd be curious to see them for longer trips.

Hawg295 06-04-2008 07:39 PM

Let me know how it handles the wind.&nbsp\\; I played around with an aftermarket, (not sure what kind) that came from the HD dealer when I bought it.&nbsp\\; My head felt like it was in a paint shaker.&nbsp\\; Took it off, the ride was fine.&nbsp\\; I angled it, cut it down a little at a time, no luck.&nbsp\\; I had a lot of air coming up the sides of the gas tank.&nbsp\\; Good luck.

levi 06-04-2008 10:38 PM

I will give a full review (with pictures) as soon as it's not raining. :)

confederate 06-04-2008 10:52 PM

I am also pleased with my memphis shades sport shield.&nbsp\\; I have the classic deuce model.&nbsp\\; With the riding I do, a shield makes the rides more comfortable.&nbsp\\; All in all a great investment.

:D

cosmicHD 06-05-2008 12:31 AM

I have a Memphis Shades. I forgot the model but it is the smallest sports shield they make. It is just enough to keep wind off the chest and does not buffet the head too much.

I do not have it on now. But it does not look bad at all. Definitely a consideration for colder months.

bikepsych 06-05-2008 01:35 AM

I've got the HD Sport windshield.&nbsp\\; Pretty small but just enough to get the wind off of your chest at freeway speeds.&nbsp\\; I think it probably extended my riding day about 150 miles.&nbsp\\; I know it cost a bit, like $160, but keeping it Harley makes it worthwhile to me.&nbsp\\; I think the Memphis Shades models are about an inch wider on each side.&nbsp\\; Is that about right?
&nbsp\\;
Bruce G.

Hawg295 06-05-2008 04:58 AM

I would definitely like&nbsp\\;to put one on for highway riding, to reduce the fatigue and a few bugs.&nbsp\\; I will wait for the review of the memphis on the sporty.&nbsp\\; I had&nbsp\\;my&nbsp\\;jacket unzipped about 1/3 of the way down yesterday.&nbsp\\; A friggin' yellow jacket somehow, flew right in and&nbsp\\;nailed me.&nbsp\\; Riding to bike nite or just around the area I would leave the windshield off.&nbsp\\; But at speeds over 60, the windshield would definitely make the ride more comfortable.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

WVICEMAN 06-05-2008 07:30 AM

I also have a Memphis Shade wind shield and had buffeting until I&nbsp\\;bought the small lowers and now I have experienced no buffeting after installing.