Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can u make more power with a 883?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: can u make more power with a 883?

Just get the 1200, more time riding less time modifying.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:54 PM
racinorange
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[IMG][/IMG]]I was told that screamin' eagle slip-ons are the best way to make good power, don't forget you are going to need a Jet Kit to rejet the carb with the new pipes and a/c. Dyno-Jet is a good solution. While your at it, check out a new ignition module. Dyna 2000 is a great bolt-on option that will help you dial in your power. Of course with these simple bolt-ons your looking at almost $600 plus labor, so maybe a "winter special" 1200 conversion is only a couple hundred away?
ORIGINAL: magnum629c

ok great so pipes and AC is a good gain then. Whats a good loud pipe that will gain good power?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

racingorange. I prefer the bassani pipes myself, sound real good as they "wear in". Good boost in power too, even more when the motor is modded.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:17 PM
googs
Tourer

Although I'm just getting into riding, I have been doing my research so my advice shouldn't be taken as "somebody who knows".
&nbsp\\;
My step-bro (a liscensed HD mechanic and custom builder)&nbsp\\;has been telling me about people putting Buell heads on the 883 and ending up with ~100hp.&nbsp\\; He hasn't done much research into it and isn't certain how much work is involved, but sounded interesting to me.&nbsp\\; He first learned about it from a company that has a trailored dyno that go to all of the bike events and that company has done several of these conversions.
&nbsp\\;
I remember he did mention a price tag of ~$1600 but&nbsp\\;I'm not sure what all is included in that.
&nbsp\\;
If anybody has more info on this, I'm interested.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:08 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The stock 883 engines are rated at 53 horsepower, and in stock condition show about 45 rear wheel horsepower on a dyno.
&nbsp\\;
I seriously doubt if adding a set of 'Buell Heads' is going to increase the dyno horsepower from 45 to around 100, especially if the displacement is kept at 883 cc's.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-30-2008, 10:19 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All three of my wives and all of my girlfriends have convinced me "there ain't no substitute for cubic inches"
&nbsp\\;
I ain't sayin women know anything about engines, but they do know what it takes to be satisfied.
&nbsp\\;
Get yerself a late model 1200 and go from there.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:02 PM
soliveria
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 883. I started with the AC then the pipes, then for $550 I got the V-Twin conversion kit. Now it's a 1200 with the 883 heads, etc. It gave me 65hp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNOgFnqtTaQ
Me and a buddy did it in one day.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:23 AM
racinorange
Cruiser

I have the Buell Thunderstorm heads on my sporty, (among many other mods...including 1200 jugs, s/e cam, carb, etc, etc, etc, ) I am getting 73 hp at the rear wheel. That 100 hp claim is an urban legend....infact, my tech told me that the buell thunderstorm heads will need to be further ported for me to see those type of gains.

ORIGINAL: googs

Although I'm just getting into riding, I have been doing my research so my advice shouldn't be taken as "somebody who knows".
\\\\\\;
My step-bro (a liscensed HD mechanic and custom builder) \\\\\\;has been telling me about people putting Buell heads on the 883 and ending up with ~100hp. \\\\\\; He hasn't done much research into it and isn't certain how much work is involved, but sounded interesting to me. \\\\\\; He first learned about it from a company that has a trailored dyno that go to all of the bike events and that company has done several of these conversions.
\\\\\\;
I remember he did mention a price tag of ~$1600 but \\\\\\;I'm not sure what all is included in that.
\\\\\\;
If anybody has more info on this, I'm interested.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:33 AM
racinorange
Cruiser

ya know man, I am going to give you some advice that I wish somebody would have given me way back before I started screwing around with my sporty, chasing the hp dream...here goes..."if you want to go fast, buy a yamaha R1, or similar liter bike, leave your sportster alone". It's only going to break your heart and your wallet if you start this process of chasing hp on a harley. My experience in trying to do this on 2 sportsters now is that the bike becomes really un-reliable, overheating, pinging, detonating, etc. The more mods you do, the more of a puzzle this becomes. For example, you can spend $350 on an air intake that your tech will tell you doesn't work with the $400 carb you just bought? It's a hard game man, run away....run away and don't look back. You are going to look cool on your sportster while you are riding it every day, enjoying the vibration, smell of oil and beautiful clatter of that v twin engine. HD is all about style, not speed. Just my 2 cents from experience. I am sure many will disagree with me.

james

The following 2 users liked this post by racinorange:
2wheelwanderer (10-10-2018), Roster (10-11-2018)
Old 07-01-2008, 07:52 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master

There is a gratifying challenge in coaxing more power out of an antique engine.&nbsp\\; But, there are a few of us that agree with James.&nbsp\\; I'll never forget my buddy who impressed coworkers with his racing bike that would do 160 until the day someone thought to ask him how fast his daily commuter would go.&nbsp\\; "Two hundred" was his casual reply, "but it's a much bigger bike."&nbsp\\; Fast bikes are pretty common these days.

Quick Reply: can u make more power with a 883?