Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Forward Controls installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:59 PM
REX HD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightster Forward Controls installed

Wow...what a difference.&nbsp\\; I am 6' and 210 lbs and the bike is so much more comfortable now.&nbsp\\; The install is not that bad for those wondering.&nbsp\\; Takes about two hours total.&nbsp\\; There are a few PITA parts to the install.&nbsp\\; 1) is taking the exhaust off.&nbsp\\; I was going to take off the slip on mufflers but after seeing how tight they were fastened that was a no-go.&nbsp\\; I just loosened the exhaust at the header enough so that the pipe hung down low enough to get at the bolts I needed to.&nbsp\\; 2) Those gold colored rings are a PITA to get on.&nbsp\\; Does anyone know if you absolutely need them on the inside of the foot rest brackets?&nbsp\\; Maybe there is some trick to slipping them on I am missing but they were a real pain...&nbsp\\; Other than that the install was very straight forward.&nbsp\\; If you have any mechanical ability and the basic tools you should be good to go.

Mustang Solo Tripper is in the mail as I type, and I hope that combined with the new forwards, the bike will feel a lot better and be ready for some extended rides.&nbsp\\;

Cheers.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 PM
lunchmeat
Cruiser
Default RE: Nightster Forward Controls installed

Cool. Getting ready to install some on my 883 in a day or two

Old 07-08-2008, 09:25 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can't wait to put mine on. So you didn't have to take the entire exhaust system to put them on right?&nbsp\\;Could I get around having to even loosen the pipes?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 PM
LOOSE1
Novice

It can be done without removing exhaust, didn't want the
extra work. But a lot more comfy on longer rides.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:07 PM
REX HD
Cruiser

No, you have to unscrew the brackets holding on the cover.&nbsp\\; Then take a 1/2" socket wrench with at least an 6" extention and loosen the two bolts on the exhaust header enough so the slip on section is lowered out of the way.&nbsp\\; There are two bolts under the slip on that are 9/16" IIRC that will need to be taken off completely.&nbsp\\; Lower the slip-on out of the way and you can access and remove the stock bracket.&nbsp\\; Keep the exhaust loosened until you are done with the control install, then put it back on.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:17 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dropping the exhaust is definitely the easiest thing to do. It is really not that hard.

As to the "gold rings" what are you talking about? Are you talking about the retaining rings?

If so, toss those suckers, Get the bolt and nut they sell instead. Put those on with some blue loctite and you'll never worry about your footpegs ever again

Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Nightster_Reaper
Tourer

i know how ya feel man im 6'3 250lbs and i couldnt even ride it without the forwards. so i didnt get to do it myself i had to have the dealer do it because i couldnt even ride for as long as it would have taken me to get home with the mids haha. yea the solo tripper will make a huge difference and is alot more comfortable on long rides.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:47 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty petite compared to you - 5' 3/'2+".&nbsp\\; My hubby put forward controls and my Nighster for me because I was getting serious cramping in my upper legs.&nbsp\\; Even for a shortie like me, it made a WORLD of difference. That, combined with the addition of some chrome mini-apes has totall eliminated any arm and back aching as well.&nbsp\\; I was considering a new seat, but with these two changes, I may not need to do that.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I do have a question though - I got my forwards on e-bay - brand new, but not Harley brand.&nbsp\\; These forwards do not seem that far "forward" !&nbsp\\; They are PERFECT for me -but made me wonder if different fowards put you at different lengths?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:48 AM
Joker1200
Advanced

6ft 2" here, i ordered my nightster with the forwards&nbsp\\;and never&nbsp\\;rode one&nbsp\\;with mids.
I sat on a sportster low with mids and felt like i was sitting at the dinner table.
I&nbsp\\;lowered the&nbsp\\;stock handlebars down to the tank&nbsp\\;a touch and the riding position is so comfy you wouldnt believe it.&nbsp\\;I could and do&nbsp\\;ride all day like this
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008, 08:10 AM
REX HD
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: cosmicHD

Dropping the exhaust is definitely the easiest thing to do. It is really not that hard.

As to the "gold rings" what are you talking about? Are you talking about the retaining rings?

If so, toss those suckers, Get the bolt and nut they sell instead. Put those on with some blue loctite and you'll never worry about your footpegs ever again
Yes, those are it.&nbsp\\; PITA.&nbsp\\; I bolted everything on with the red loctite I got from the Stealer.&nbsp\\; I don't have the bolt with the nut, but I'm not to worried about the thing coming out.&nbsp\\; I bolted it on over the ft-lb recommendation w/ loctite.

Quick Reply: Nightster Forward Controls installed