Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy top end...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:07 AM
GringoLoco
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy top end...

2007 1200N.&nbsp\\; Had first oil change (with the HD Synthetic) a little late at 1400 miles, now has 2800 miles on it.&nbsp\\; Always run on 76 Station 93 octane.&nbsp\\; The valves, lifters, or whatever else is in the top end is pretty noisy this last 100 miles or so, and getting louder.&nbsp\\; I have V&amp\\;H Sideshots, and I can still hear the lifters on the freeway.&nbsp\\; It's most noticeable while in gear, clutch out, on decel, or even after a quick rev of the engine (makes sense since the exhaust isn't roaring away on decel), but I can still hear it on cruising.&nbsp\\; Under full throttle it's REALLY loud at higher RPM's, actually sounds more like a clacking then, and at first I thought something was loose and rattling, till I realized my engine was clacking.&nbsp\\; Literally sounds like something's coming apart in full motorhome passing mode.&nbsp\\; I just tried to listen to it in the garage, and it sounds like typical noisy top end like I've had in cars.&nbsp\\; Not so much a "tap tap tap" but more even, just really noisy.&nbsp\\; The oil level is right exactly halfway between the fill and full lines on the dipstick, so it's not low.&nbsp\\; Does it while cold or hot.&nbsp\\; I know it's not going to be quiet like a Honda, but it only has 2800 miles and is definitely making more noise than normal.&nbsp\\; Is there a known problem with getting oil to the top, or something I should know about?&nbsp\\; Don't really want to drop it off at the stealer and be out a bike for god knows how long...

*I went back after proofreading and bolded the part that bothers me the most.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Noisy top end...

It's just getting broke in, all sporty's are noisy as hell in the top end.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:54 AM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, mine is very very noisey.&nbsp\\; I don't really notice it anymore.&nbsp\\; Just part of the ride.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:01 AM
GringoLoco
Cruiser

Cool, that's good to hear.&nbsp\\; It wasn't so much that it was noisy that bothered me, but that it WASN'T noisy before and now all a sudden it is, lol.&nbsp\\; I guess it's just fully broken in now.&nbsp\\; Personally, I don't care WHAT kinds of noises it makes, as long as it's normal.&nbsp\\; It runs perfect, gets great gas mileage, doesn't smoke or burn oil, so as long as the clacking is normal I'm good.

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2008, 11:12 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I also tend to think this normal noisy top end Sportster sound.&nbsp\\; However, if it's getting worse that might be a concern.&nbsp\\; Is it possibly that you didn't ride at high speeds during the initial part of ownership?&nbsp\\; I know at first I would rarely get on the interstate, until I had gotten really comfortable on the bike.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 AM
racinorange
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have heard that the new sportsters are louder than the old ones...my 2002 has a S/E cam kit in it and it is REALLY loud....it took me a while to get used to it, but now i am fine with it. With a sportster, if it gets quiet...that's when you should worry because the cam gear clearance is too tight and you will ruin your motor...or so says my tech.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:09 PM
GringoLoco
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

I also tend to think this normal noisy top end Sportster sound.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; However, if it's getting worse that might be a concern.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Is it possibly that you didn't ride at high speeds during the initial part of ownership?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I know at first I would rarely get on the interstate, until I had gotten really comfortable on the bike.
I didn't run it too hard through the gears when it was new, but I was getting up to 80mph right off the bat.&nbsp\\; I pretty much followed the common break in advice to a tee (not lingering in one gear at a constant rpm for longer than a few seconds, not lugging up hills, not wringing it out too bad, etc).&nbsp\\; I'm guessing it's probably normal too, I just don't remember hearing the clacking under heavy throttle as much as now.&nbsp\\; I do remember hearing it somewhat, because I thought maybe my keychain was banging against the frame, but now it's louder and sounds like it's coming from the left side.&nbsp\\; Of course, the air cleaner holds some sound in...

Old 07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

clacking and tapping noises are normal for a sporty, take it to a dealer to have them look at it and most likely you will get that same answer.

but if it turns out something IS wrong, it will make itself known soon, THEN the dealer cant refuse service becuase obviously its not running.

should be normal, I say ride it out and see what happens. compare each ride to the last, ask yourself is it losing power? hovering/hunting for idle, takes longer to rev? pops on decel? just be aware so if something is wrong it doesnt catch you completely off guard.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:11 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Could also just be a bad tank of gas.&nbsp\\; Causing the valves to clatter a bit.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Valve noise is common on the Sportster, and I've found it to be so on a Fatboy as well.&nbsp\\; Calms down on the Fatboy when the oil in the lifters gets warmer and up to pressure.

Quick Reply: Noisy top end...