Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel overflow leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:40 AM
eidenmar
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel overflow leaking

I have a 87 sportster 883 that I just bought and after riding it a couple of times it started leaking fuel out of the fuel overflow tube while idoling in driveway. I was told that it is probably the float or needle that could be stuck and need to be cleaned. So I took of the float bowl down and while tapping to free it from the carb body it fell into my hand along with a little pellet size ball and a 1/2 in long piece of triangular brass. I did not see where they fell from so I am not sure where they go for reasembly. Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: fuel overflow leaking

Sounds like you are in need of a service manual. the best accessory you can buy.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:19 PM
eidenmar
6th Gear

I ordered a shop manual yesterday, so hopefully it will be here soon!

Old 07-18-2008, 03:16 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with a bike slightly older than mine i would look for a new diaphragm for the top end of the carb, and a new float valve seat. it is the small rubber tip of the needle that closes the valve, mine wore away after 20 years and made my bike leak alot. it is a vital part of your carb. you should replace it anyways just from being so old.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:49 PM
parnell
Stage I

Had the same thing happen to me a few years back. Brand new '04 1200 fresh from the dealer.&nbsp\\; Pulled in from a ride and was pissing gas onto the driveway.&nbsp\\; Likely cause is dirt or debris stuck in the carb.&nbsp\\;

Here is a quick fix that will work 90% of the time without any servicing involved, and worked for me that night.&nbsp\\; Shut off the petcock and let the carb run dry. When the bike stops, go ahead and open the petcock and restart the bike.&nbsp\\; Usually the dirt in the carb frees itself and no more gas pouring out on the ground.&nbsp\\; Its at least worth a shot before ripping into the carb.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-19-2008, 10:38 AM
eidenmar
6th Gear

after taking down the float bowl everything was clean and functioning well and after I put it all back together it started pissing gas out of the bottom of the air cleaner and the overflow but only for the first startup. after that it was only coming out of the overflow. then I heard air trying to escape and as I took off the gas cap a huge amount of pressure was released. do I deen a new cap? is there an adjustment screw?&nbsp\\;or anything else I can do to fix this anoying problem? Thanks.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:28 PM
eidenmar
6th Gear

also tried running with petcock off until carb ran dry then turn fuel on started and still dripped through the overflow hose. I am out of ideas.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-19-2008, 05:05 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: eidenmar

after taking down the float bowl everything was clean and functioning well and after I put it all back together it started pissing gas out of the bottom of the air cleaner and the overflow but only for the first startup. after that it was only coming out of the overflow. then I heard air trying to escape and as I took off the gas cap a huge amount of pressure was released. do I deen a new cap? is there an adjustment screw?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;or anything else I can do to fix this anoying problem? Thanks.
that is really weird, was air being pressurized inside, or was there a vaccuum as air rushed IN after you opened the cap? do you have a fuel pump on that bike?

i guess i would check the vent hoses from the tank and replace the gas cap with a vented one inside the one you have failed.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:06 PM
HarleyMom883
Intermediate

I also have a 87 883 Sportster that has the same problem, the only difference is I replaced the gas tank with a larger tank and I can't get the proper float level because the tank is tilted downward more, my only quick fix is to make sure I shut off the petcock every time I shut her down. "Christine" the bike from Hell!!

Old 04-02-2010, 05:20 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyMom883
I also have a 87 883 Sportster that has the same problem, the only difference is I replaced the gas tank with a larger tank and I can't get the proper float level because the tank is tilted downward more, my only quick fix is to make sure I shut off the petcock every time I shut her down. "Christine" the bike from Hell!!
The "float" is in the carburetor and setting it's level has nothing to do with the "tilt" or size of the gas tank. If you haven't done so, any carb that's that old is do for a good cleaning and a new float needle & seat.

Quick Reply: fuel overflow leaking