Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hanger's Comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:24 AM
sbergloff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ape Hanger's Comfort?

I really like the look of ape hangers, and I'm thinking about putting some on my Nightster. I like the look of the really tall, thick black gloss bars. I'm worried about comfort though. I ride my bike as my daily driver to work, and everywhere else. Will ape hangers be uncomfortable on long rides? I've heard mixed feedback on this, so anybody feel free to comment. I'm not talking about HD's mini-apes. I'm thinking about maybe 16" or 18" rise.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:31 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Diff. strokes for folks. Only way to tell is buy and try. I run khromewerks minis (pre-drilled) but doubt I'd go more than 14 on my 3" risers as hands over shoulder hgt. on long rides could be numbing a bit. If you prefer to sit upright vs. leaning over narrow bars then you should enjoy the ride as it eases shoulder and neck aches vs. stock bars for long rides. I run with them pushed fwd. as leaned back in fork angle is too close and hard on the wrists not to mention when riding with no shield your arms will tire being bent vs. stretched out with the bars fwd.

Incidentally, Burly came out with some really slick narrow glide apes in 14-16" that come knurled, drilled for int. wires in black or chrome, only down side is they run like $110. Flyrite also has some nice cheap narrow apes but not knurled or drilled.

Last edited by capttawes; 08-22-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:58 AM
UPSBROWN
Tourer

I've got mini apes (10.5 in.) on my Sportster and love them. Wouldn't trade for anything. If you've got them set right, they are the most comfortable thing in the world. IMO You're not hunched over reaching for your bars so it saves your back as well.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:13 PM
thekid275
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently installed the HD mini apes on my 08 Nightster and they look and feel great. I haven't gone on any long rides with them yet. However, Labor Day weekend is just around the corner.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:27 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

So, is keeping the bar height slightly below the shoulder height the best thing to do for comfort? I'm getting them custom made, so I can get them done however I want.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:02 PM
thekid275
1st Gear

What's comfortable for me might be uncomfortable for you. So, I suggest that you play around with it. Go to the dealer and sit on a soft tail with 12" bars and go to local cycle shops and take the bike and sit on it with the bars resting on the speedo. I like wide bars my father love narrow Z-bars. We have both gone through several different configurations. But to give a answer to your question, yes I think it is more comfortable.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

I just put some 02 wide glide bars on my bike. glass beaded them and hit'em with some $3.00 flat black. they look great and feel good. They are like 12" ape's
I only replaced the brake line. 16" or 18" you'll be replacing all the wires and cables.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Rxtreme
5th Gear

I did the Minnie apes also, changed the ride for me al together, I’m not the tallest person in the world 5’8” so the Minis worked for me, sitting upright makes a huge difference though.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:31 PM
REX HD
Cruiser

Unfortunately, I think this type of question is too subjective to get a solid answer...

I think the only thing to do is a)be lucky enough that someone with a sporty lives near you
with big apes and is willing to let you ride it a while or
b) find a bike with big apes you can rent for a day or
c)take the plunge and just buy it, if you don't like 'em I'm sure you could sell them here or on ebay.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:46 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

Originally Posted by REX HD
Unfortunately, I think this type of question is too subjective to get a solid answer...

I think the only thing to do is a)be lucky enough that someone with a sporty lives near you
with big apes and is willing to let you ride it a while or
b) find a bike with big apes you can rent for a day or
c)take the plunge and just buy it, if you don't like 'em I'm sure you could sell them here or on ebay.
Too subjective for a solid answer? I'm just asking if people with tall apes are still comfortable on longer trips. I think that's a pretty straight forward question that is easily answered by those who have them. This would be a big change on my bike, and I think asking around is best before blindly jumping into it. I just want others opinions, I'll figure out how I feel about them later.

Quick Reply: Ape Hanger's Comfort?