Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there anything to look out for on a 2007 Roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is there anything to look out for on a 2007 Roadster?

Went into the dealership to look into the "Ride free" promotion and realized that I just don't like the bigger bikes but Sportsters still feel just right so I decided to look instead at used XL1200R models as I've been in love with that style since they debuted.

Long story made short, they had a nice '07 XL1200R with only 2,500 miles on it and seemed very willing to deal.

Pros:
- Low miles
- SE II slip-ons (as I understand it, these seem to be preferred to the newer versions)
- SE air filter element
- Should be able to walk out the door for $7,900

Cons:
- Dropped (at low/no speed) so it needs a new right side handgrip (OK, so I'm mildly OCD), otherwise only a couple of scuffs on the fenders.
- First year for EFI on the Sportster

The only real worry in my mind is the first year for EFI since I have an aversion to every buying the first year of anything. Because of that, I thought I'd take it to the experts and see if there's any reason to avoid an '07. I fully expect that you'll all say I'm crazy and there aren't any problems, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:12 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
Went into the dealership to look into the "Ride free" promotion and realized that I just don't like the bigger bikes but Sportsters still feel just right so I decided to look instead at used XL1200R models as I've been in love with that style since they debuted.

Long story made short, they had a nice '07 XL1200R with only 2,500 miles on it and seemed very willing to deal.

Pros:
- Low miles
- SE II slip-ons (as I understand it, these seem to be preferred to the newer versions)
- SE air filter element
- Should be able to walk out the door for $7,900

Cons:
- Dropped (at low/no speed) so it needs a new right side handgrip (OK, so I'm mildly OCD), otherwise only a couple of scuffs on the fenders.
- First year for EFI on the Sportster

The only real worry in my mind is the first year for EFI since I have an aversion to every buying the first year of anything. Because of that, I thought I'd take it to the experts and see if there's any reason to avoid an '07. I fully expect that you'll all say I'm crazy and there aren't any problems, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks in advance!
I rode my '07 Roadster almost every day for 2 years. Had a rocker box leak right around 500 miles, but I think a few other Sporty riders had that happen although it seemed more prevelent on the Roadsters because of the powder coated boxes, at least that's my understanding. After that, I didn't have any problems at all. As for the fuel injection, it might be the first year for the Sporties, but Harley has been using Delphi FI for some time on other models, so I think they have the bugs worked out by now
My only complaint was that it was a bit cramped for me, but I'm 5'11" 280 lbs and take the wife along sometimes.
What I liked about it was the ground clearance and the torque to power through curves. I took 2 trips into the mountains of West Virginia and one to the Dragon. It just don't get any better than a 1200 Roadster in the mountains. Please oh please don't buy the Roadster and slamm it, that would be a shame

Old 01-09-2009, 08:23 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a Guy from work who has a 1200R which i think he takes better care of that bike than his family. LOL! he has had an oil leak but i can't remember where the leak was. it was fixed under warranty. He has had no other problems. I'm sure by now Harley has the bugs out of the EFI!!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:38 PM
djhrln
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ask what fuel management has been done. It should have at least the download since A/C has been changed.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

07 Nightster here with the stage 1 and about 4000 miles. Not a single problem.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaDrafter
Please oh please don't buy the Roadster and slamm it, that would be a shame
I'm 6'0" and rather spindly (160 lbs soaking wet). I'd look rather ridiculous on a slammed bike. That's actually the reason I discounted the Big Twins; they would be quite comfy on the road, but I wouldn't like muscling them around a parking lot whereas the Roadster seems like it's just exactly the right size.

I'll be sure to ask what fuel management has been done, but it seems likely to me that it's been done since the parts seem to be dealer-installed. The overall vibe I get from the bike is that the previous owner really thought he wanted a Harley but changed his mind after knocking the bike over in a parking lot (or in his garage) a couple of times. Thankfully I got most of that out of my system with my old Honda.

Last edited by Zenmervolt; 01-09-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:03 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I have put about 12,000 K on mine in two years, only problem was a goofy signal light module that was changed under warranty, other than that it has exceded expectations in every way, I love it.
$7900 sounds like a fair price, not a great deal but not a rip off either.