Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Aftermarket front and rear springs for better ride (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/306561-aftermarket-front-and-rear-springs-for-better-ride.html)

Ramboamt 01-09-2009 04:51 AM

What aftermarket front and rear springs for better ride

Looking for a better ride on my '06 1200C. I have the stock rear shocks firmed up all the way to keep from bottoming out with the "boss" on the back, she weighs 115 lbs and I way 210. What brand of progressives give the best ride for cruising and around town. I live in Southern California and ride in the mountains and on the teeth shattering freeways.:eek:

Thanks in advance.

tiger_rider 01-09-2009 05:41 AM

I used the 412 Series. They are the lowest cost type available and are a big improvement over stock.

This is a handy link to tell you what is available for your bike

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/productsearch.aspx

rnl_1200C 01-09-2009 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by tiger_rider (Post 4354587)
I used the 412 Series. They are the lowest cost type available and are a big improvement over stock.

This is a handy link to tell you what is available for your bike

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/productsearch.aspx

I'm installing the 412's this winter as well. At 250+lbs (I won't tell what the "+" is) I may need the HD shocks. I just need to figure out what length I want.

1200Cdriver 01-09-2009 08:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Ramboamt (Post 4354486)
Looking for a better ride on my '06 1200C. I have the stock rear shocks firmed up all the way to keep from bottoming out with the "boss" on the back, she weighs 115 lbs and I way 210. What brand of progressives give the best ride for cruising and around town. I live in Southern California and ride in the mountains and on the teeth shattering freeways.:eek:

Thanks in advance.

Rambo, I went with the Progressive 440 Standards in the 13.5" length, however if I had it to do over I would opt for the 13" as they have slightly longer travel than the 13.5s, 3.18" vs 3.04". The 13.5s let the right bottom shock mount just barely touch the top muffler when up on the jack. I opted for the Progressive fork springs an used the spacers at their full length and 7w BelRay fork. It rides very well no longer squats on acceleration and most bumps a non event. The shocks actually move when you just touch the bike. I'm 5' 9" and about 190. You would want the Heavies.

Ramboamt 01-11-2009 05:51 AM

Thanks.

Thanks for the info I will look into the Progressive 440 13".
> I opted for the Progressive fork springs an used the spacers at their full length and 7w BelRay fork. <
Did you replace the front fork assy. :eek: or did you install new springs and spacers?

66impala 01-11-2009 07:22 AM

I weigh the same as you and my wife is around 125lb. I have a 04 custom that I do alot of touring with. Front suspension I bought the adjustable spring kit from www.worksperformance.com, only a couple dollars more that the progressive kit and its adjustable based on the riders weight, mention you belong to this site or xlforum.net, I got a 10% discount. Also a front fork brace, im using one from superbrace.com. Rear shocks im using a set of e-bay bought road king 13" air shocks, you can adjust the air pressure for one or two up riding and no more bottoming out. I also went with Metzler tires when the dunlops wore out. With those mods done I can ride my bike all day long without problems, my front end doesnt bottom out now when braking.

No matter what, change your front fork oil. The original oil comes out looking like sludge.

Bacon_Grease 01-11-2009 10:05 AM

I went with Progressive 413's on my '08 1200R. They're extremely effective in aggressive riding and in handling added weight.

Originally Posted by Ramboamt (Post 4354486)

Thanks in advance.

SHOAT 01-11-2009 01:35 PM

J&P Cycles and Phat Performance Parts offer the Progressive front springs (standard length) for around $50-60. Looking into installing these myself sometime in the future.

loyolacub68 01-11-2009 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by SHOAT (Post 4366639)
J&P Cycles and Phat Performance Parts offer the Progressive front springs (standard length) for around $50-60. Looking into installing these myself sometime in the future.

Is there any point to installing new front springs if you are going to keep the same ride height? Does it really improve the ride quality that much?

SHOAT 01-11-2009 07:38 PM

loyolacu68 ... the ad claims that by being a progressive rate spring, they improve the handling and reduce nosediving commonly experienced with stock springs.