Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster transformation into a Springer Bobber

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:39 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FandA M
The motor doesn't make sense because the barrels are black and the cases are silver?That must make it an 883? And who said anything about buying it brand new.......it's a '94.You never painted a motor?Scottwilliamson has a factory '96 with mismatched barrels/heads and cases.It's not unheard of.Just because the colors don't match doesn't mean it started out as an 883 or somethings wrong with it
Besides you can read the serial number in the pic.......it's a 1200

I.. said the bike was clean..........and I never said it was a bobber....just a nice classic looking motorcycle.I think he did a good job and it's a fine looking cycle
You're opinion about "clashing" seems to be out numbered

"Original" tends to mean it came that way. And outnumbered or not, that's still my opinion on it. I think it would look awesome with a full length and matching flamed fender and a different tail light. He's got a great start and his work is clean...I never argued that.

And I never said it was for sure an 883, I just thought it kind of funny that it was mis-matched. I've NEVER seen one from the factory like that...so yeah, maybe I'm wrong, but either way, I don't think they're too common and still don't understand why you'd pick one up like that new...if I was paying for a new bike I'd sure as hell want it to not look like it was put together with whatever was laying around that fit at the moment. But maybe I'm just too damn picky.

You all can think whatever you want of any bike posted on here...I never ask for a retort on any of my opinions on whether I personally like it or not, it's an opinion...and if you're gonna voice yours I'm damn sure gonna voice mine, too. If we can only post "nice things" around here without any real criticism or feedback then that's bull****, sorry. I like how "to each his own" seems to apply only when it's convenient. I'd expect the same criticism in anything I build...in fact, HONEST feedback on this forum was a part of what helped me shape my original chop into what it was...and when it's done this time around, I'll expect the same. Go through my old posts, when someone had a suggestion, I paid attention, and even when they said it was ugly as **** (and they DID at one point - might have even been YOU) I paid attention and took the criticism to learn and build something better. I didn't bash them and get all fussy about it.

Grow some thicker skin, seriously.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This arguement is getting lame. It is time to end this bull****. The guy did a hell of a job PERIOD.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Big Poppa Pump
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a spring seat on a bike that isn't a true hardtail looks stupid, but if you like it that's all that matters, eh, 6'er.

I do agree with you though. When I was putting my other bike together everyone said how cool they thought it was, then I changed bars and everyone said they really liked the new bars. Then when I changed the bars back everyone said that they always liked the first bars better and they were glad that I put them back on. Nothing bugs me more than folks with no true opinion. Calls it like ya see it.

But like I said before, when putting a Sportster together the first thing I'd ditch is the frame. The lines just aren't pleasing to my eye.

But again, I will say again, I think it is a bitchin' stock frame Sportster.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:59 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Poppa Pump
I think a spring seat on a bike that isn't a true hardtail looks stupid, but if you like it that's all that matters, eh, 6'er.

I do agree with you though. When I was putting my other bike together everyone said how cool they thought it was, then I changed bars and everyone said they really liked the new bars. Then when I changed the bars back everyone said that they always liked the first bars better and they were glad that I put them back on. Nothing bugs me more than folks with no true opinion. Calls it like ya see it.

But like I said before, when putting a Sportster together the first thing I'd ditch is the frame. The lines just aren't pleasing to my eye.

Big Poppa... Runaway Ralph!?!................I read that book !.................pbbbbbbb

Last edited by FandA M; 01-13-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master

Originally Posted by Certainteed
bob is a transitive verb. to cut short.

minimalist. small. cut up. whacked to pieces and rearranged. you can't buy a bunch of bolt-ons and make a bobber. you need a hammer, a chisel, and a hacksaw.

most of the bikes i see being passed off as bobbers are really brat bikes.

now for good classic lines that transcend all styles, you want a straight line from the steering head to the rear axle. if you can maintain this line you'll have a damned fine bike no matter what style you chose. this is why rigids look awesome while solid struts look like beached dolphins.

Damn! All this time I thought I was building a bike that was supposed to be red on top, white on the bottom with a stick up the middle for the fishing line to attach to. [...back to the drawing board!] :-)

Just kiddin.. But thanks for the info... I agree the rigids are the coolest.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:16 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Poppa Pump

You're right...it does look stupid...and comments like that are why I actually starting researching the look I was going for and am now hardtailing it...and started the whole build over with the right vision this time.

You've illustrated my point perfectly both with that comment and your story below it. Saying what you actually think helps. I didn't know any better on my first few trys, and now that I do I'm finally refining and reshaping my bike to look exactly how I always wanted it to in the first place. If no one ever said **** about it, I'd never feel the need to do BETTER the next time around.

I'm actually grateful for people telling me the things they have, negative or positive, it all helps. And even if people were bashing how my bike looked...and I mean REALLY tearing into it...I was NEVER the one to tell them they were wrong or put them down for it. As I said before, there are quite a few threads on this forum to prove it.

When you put something like this on here, you damn well better be ready for people to say what they feel...well...that's how it SHOULD be anyways.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:19 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i like it man! i like it alot! nicely done! has a bobber feel with a custom new twist. dig it man!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 PM
NightPunch07
Cruiser

Bobber or not, Thats a bad*** little scoot man. Nice and clean. i'm generally not a big fan of those LePera seats but that one definatly works w/ that bike

Old 01-13-2009, 07:15 PM
SHOAT
Road Master

Looks good to me. Nice work.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:29 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job on putting together the scoot.

Using what parts you can afford or have on hand is whats it about. Everyone has to balance thier skill level and wallet with their dreamcycle.

As far as mismatched jugs Harley currentlt does it on the Street Bobs and Nightsters.

Unless your doing this a business, you only have to build them to please one person.

Quick Reply: Sportster transformation into a Springer Bobber