Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster transformation into a Springer Bobber

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:43 AM
packer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it
what type of modifications did you have to do,
in order, to add the springer

Old 03-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Wesco
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope...its a stock 1994 1200 custom... no jug work...

What can I say...people will either like it like I do....or hate it. Everyone has their own style....likes & dislikes....

Originally Posted by 6o66er
No offense Wesco, but...I think the styles you're mixing there clash a bit much to be honest.

EDIT:

And from the looks of it...that bike started out as an 883, or was rebuilt with new jugs and heads....I've never seen an original 1200 with mismatched color on the jugs/heads when compared to the cases.

Last edited by Wesco; 03-25-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Wesco
6th Gear

Here is another one I built a couple of months ago.... I suppose this is more like a true "Bobber"......the bike with blue flames is a "poor mans" bobber and the silver flamed one takes a bit more mechanical skill & thought. But...they are both good looking....one of a kind bikes that turn heads and draw attention from any stock bike anyone can buy off the shelf.

Oh...By the way..... (6o66er) the Silver Flamed bikes motor was originally an 883 with jug work to make it a 1200.....and I painted the stock silver motor black on this one.

I also built this one to sell....but I think I'll keep it a while because these things arent commanding the prices they were before the economy went into the crapper and I am not going to lower its price. I'd rather keep it and enjoy it until the economy comes back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j_8Qr6whFs

Originally Posted by GazzaTheBastard
Sure it is he "bobbed off" the sporty rocker covers and put shiny chrome BT
ones on in there place. Kinda makes it look like a big boys bike almost, except
for the short swingarm keeping the wheel pulled under the seat gives it away.

Besides everyone knows the rules to making bobbers is getting out a catalog to
see what kinda stuff you can buy to bolt onto it to make it look more bobbed

Gazza
(Gazza) There is a bit more skill involved in taking a stock frame and doing what was done to the blue flamed bike......the biggest "and worst" part is taking the stock wiring harness that was originally in the stock sportster headlight and basically cutting, shorten & re-wiring the stock harness so that a springer fork can be mounted on the stock frame......that aint "plug & play" by any means.... It took many hours to come out with the final product....

To be honest with you.....it takes about the same amount of time to build one from the ground up as it does to modify a stock frame......a ground up build is just more expensive.

Here is a video of the original bike.......and how it was transformed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THjZS...eature=channel

Last edited by Wesco; 03-26-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Wesco
6th Gear

Here is another "bobber" I did for a customer in San Antonio.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IXop3BVbIs

Last edited by Wesco; 03-26-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Wesco
6th Gear

Originally Posted by cmoran3
if i wanted to put a sringer front end on my 08 nighty, is there a bolt on or do i have to modify one from a different model?

The only company that makes a springer front end for 2004-up Sportsters is Paughco....and it costs about $1600.00

Old 03-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Wesco
6th Gear

How does it make no sense? That engine doesn't make any sense. And if there ever was a 1200 sold from the factory with silver cases and black cylinders or vice-versa then that makes absolutely ZERO sense. Why the hell would someone actually buy a brand new bike mis-matched like that? And better yet, why the hell would HD actually SELL one? What, did they just run out of silver or black parts that day? Probly not.

And yes, the styles DO clash. I'm not saying it's ****ty work, I'm just saying that the entire front of the bike doesn't fit the entire back and all the chrome looks VERY out of place with the blacked out wheels, springer, and risers.

Certainteed is right...it's nice and clean and I'm not arguing that, but it's no bobber. The overall idea screams 60's chopper, but it looks like something just got lost in the mix towards the back end.

Does this look better? A little powdercoating and new wrapped pipes.... BTW...it sold for $7500.00 over the winter and won the "Best In Class" at the Lexington, KY Harley dealership annual bike contest. during the fall.

I'm not into black myself....I like more chrome, but black on bikes seems to be the flavor of the month since the nightster came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-76REIu-w_k

Last edited by Wesco; 03-25-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Dlish
Cruiser

How does it make no sense? That engine doesn't make any sense. And if there ever was a 1200 sold from the factory with silver cases and black cylinders or vice-versa then that makes absolutely ZERO sense. Why the hell would someone actually buy a brand new bike mis-matched like that? And better yet, why the hell would HD actually SELL one? What, did they just run out of silver or black parts that day? Probly not.

And yes, the styles DO clash. I'm not saying it's ****ty work, I'm just saying that the entire front of the bike doesn't fit the entire back and all the chrome looks VERY out of place with the blacked out wheels, springer, and risers.

Certainteed is right...it's nice and clean and I'm not arguing that, but it's no bobber. The overall idea screams 60's chopper, but it looks like something just got lost in the mix towards the back end.

I couldnt agree more, reading this thread makes me want to vomit. Im so sick of the word "bobber" and how people think it applies to every bike nowadays.

And you mention it won an award at a Harley dealership?! are you surprised? Its the stereotypical "bobber" junk that is having its 5 minutes of fame. Just as 60666 said, everyone can throw their opinions out there, when posting on a internet forum you are asking for good and bad...

As for my own info? I'll listen to someone who has lived and breathed this for much longer than I...read my sig...and if you don't know who Sugar Bear is, you definitely should NOT be using the words "bobber" or "chopper", or better yet should just turn in your motorcycle license.

Last edited by Dlish; 03-25-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:27 AM
Wesco
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dlish
I couldnt agree more, reading this thread makes me want to vomit. Im so sick of the word "bobber" and how people think it applies to every bike nowadays.

And you mention it won an award at a Harley dealership?! are you surprised? Its the stereotypical "bobber" junk that is having its 5 minutes of fame. Just as 60666 said, everyone can throw their opinions out there, when posting on a internet forum you are asking for good and bad...

As for my own info? I'll listen to someone who has lived and breathed this for much longer than I...read my sig...and if you don't know who Sugar Bear is, you definitely should NOT be using the words "bobber" or "chopper", or better yet should just turn in your motorcycle license.
Sugar Bear? Is he friends with Chico and the Man, the boys on Whats Happening and does he watch Grape Ape with his kids on Saturday mornings? If that is the same Sugar Bear you are talking about.....I think he disappeared about the time Earth Shoes and Pet Rocks fell off of the face of the earth. Maybe I'm confusing Huggy Bear with Sugar Bear?? Sadly....You and I both know who Sugar Bear is..... Sugar Bear was even a breakfast cereal character back in the 70's. There is another Sugar Bear....and he is a a cycle mag writer who has his own opinion and version of what a bobbed & chopped means. I think he is full of **** on that subject....but a talented writer...

I am not surprised it won....that is why I entered it.

Bobber as a term in my sense is exactly what the bike is.... Anybody can have as stock bike....thats the easy part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobber_(motorcycle)

Bobber (motorcycle)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

A Harley Davidson bobber
A bobberA bobber is a motorcycle that usually has had the front fender removed and the rear fender "bobbed" or made smaller. This style of custom motorcycle took shape in the 1950s and continues to be built today. Bobbers are related to choppers in that they both represent a minimalistic approach where everything is stripped from a bike that is not readily needed. This includes the characteristics of a stock frame and shortened rear fender.

Last edited by Wesco; 03-26-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:10 AM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job,I am waiting for a company to make a bolt on set at a fair price for a rubber mount Sportster. The minute I find one mine will have one

Old 03-27-2010, 07:53 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,773 Likes on 2,112 Posts

not gonna get into the frey here just want to say there's some time spent on this ride to get it clean as it is. Nice job Wesco.weather ya like it or not it has some nice detail work.