Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plate mount w/brake light

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Chop05c
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Plate mount w/brake light

I'm a little confused! I'm switching over to a side plate mount with a brake light and was told about the HD run/brake controller I need to do this. Now I haven't seen this module but from what I've read it just plugs in under the seat. I also understand it makes your turn signals into brake lights, fine, doesn't matter to me. What I'm wondering is, the 2 signal and existing tailight connecters that are now plugged into the board in the tailight along with the power connecter from the main harness, do they get plugged into the new controller module? I realize with the new side brake light I'll have to put a compatible connector on if that's the case. And does the power connector that's in the board go back to the new module? Please help me understand!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 04:13 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've not added the module yet but do plan on ditching the tail light when I do or running a brake light on my side mount. From what I understand the module plugs inline with the ICM to the harness going to the rear. When doing away with the tail light entirely I figure I'm going to just wire nut or remove the leads that specifially go to the brake light and just run the leads of the harness to the signals and or the new side brake light thus taking the board on the old tail light out of the equation. Besides just isolating the wires with a tester you can get the idea of whats needed and what goes where from the wiring schematic listed in the service manual as its pretty clear on wire routing and what color codes control what so you'll know what can be eliminated. When I added my tag bolt lights for illumination I just looked at the schematic and picked the lead I needed off at the front of the harness/ICM and soldered running light leads in there and covered with heat shrink tubing vs. connecting in back at the board or leads at teh tail light.

Last edited by capttawes; 01-23-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Chop05c
Advanced

I think I see what you're saying, in other words, there are no plug ins for those 3 (2 turns 1 brake) on the new module, you just have to splice into the wiring going to the board in the tailight from the ICM. Then what is the point of the new controller, just to use your signals as brake lights also?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chop05c
I think I see what you're saying, in other words, there are no plug ins for those 3 (2 turns 1 brake) on the new module, you just have to splice into the wiring going to the board in the tailight from the ICM. Then what is the point of the new controller, just to use your signals as brake lights also?
This link should help you: http://sportster.org/blog/how-to-ins...our-sportster/ just read down to the lighting part which has good info. and pictures.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Chop05c
Advanced

Well, what I did was shorten the harness from the ICM to the tailight module and made up a harness similar to that pic. Cut the fender down so no more bolt holes, put the signals back on struts and took the module from the tailight and mounting it on the left side of frame behind my solo bag. Just waiting for the model A tailight so I can button it all up. Was hoping to get it out for some pics, but we got another 6" coming tomorrow so that'll have to wait!