Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruisin...from Fl. alllll the way to California. suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 AM
The Communist
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking cruisin...from Fl. alllll the way to California. suggestions?

Well this spring break both my sister's college and my own have about the same time off (march 7-14th) and so we're taking a family vacation with my mom and step dad. We were able to get a time share just north of san diego. Instead of flying i've decided i would like to drive all the way out there. the way my classes work out it allows me to leave well ahead of when everyone else will be getting out there. So...i need suggestions, my trip out there i'm not going to have really anytime to stop and sight see, i think my fastest way is just taking the 10 all the way there. But if anyone has some cool roads to take let me know.
Also, anything that i should pack with me on the motorcycle to fix anything?
I have AAA that tows motorcycles so if for some reason anything rediculous happens i can atleast tow it. When i get out to San Diego i will be due for an oil change being that it'll be just over 2500 miles. I'm really looking forward to this ride. Also, my trip home i will have a whole 7 days to get back, or possibly more. So any stops in the numerous states i'll be passing through would be excellent. Also, i don't plan on staying in any hotel unless for some reason i hit some really nasty weather. I've got a tent and that's perfectly fine with me. So any good camp grounds would be great too.

Thanks
JT

Old 01-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're going to try to run hard days, check out the Iron Butt Association's Hall of Wisdom. ( http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/IronButt.html )

Actually, those are good nuggets even if you only ride 200 miles a day...

Send me a PM and I'll give you my contact information. If you have a stopover or mechanical issues in or around Houston, I'll be more than happy to give you garage space and a couch to sleep on.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:19 PM
phatman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bacon, the hall of wisdom has some great stuff. I don't plan on taking any real long trips but it's still great info. Thanks

Old 01-18-2009, 07:00 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

taking I-10 is the quickest way through Texas. Just so you know its around 750-775 miles from state line to state line. My advice: dont come through Houston or San Antonio during Rush hour.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master

Originally Posted by SpursDarkrider
taking I-10 is the quickest way through Texas. Just so you know its around 750-775 miles from state line to state line. My advice: dont come through Houston or San Antonio during Rush hour.
+1 on that!

The new HOV / toll lanes on I-10 on the west side of Houston make it MUCH easier, though.

If time isn't an issue, I like hitting Highway 90 on some parts. I-10 can get mighty boring.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master

Originally Posted by phatman
Bacon, the hall of wisdom has some great stuff. I don't plan on taking any real long trips but it's still great info. Thanks
Don't thank me, thank the good folks with the Iron Butt Association. They put that stuff together to help folks like us ride longer and safer.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:07 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice Read Bacon, Thanks.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:23 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Stuff in there!!!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Barrett from Mississippi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The eatin gets pretty good on the west side of Baton Rouge LA all the way to Orange Texas. I'm sure the food is good over in Texas, but if you want to try Cajun there are a few places you can see on I10 near Lafayette that are well worth the stop.

Orange Texas has a couple of desent lower priced Hotels, Super 8 and Best Western and there are some good Cajun places there also.

Thats as far west as I have Traveled on I10.

Get gas at Baton Rouge, there is a long streach to Lafayette on raised highway and no GAS.

Take I12 and stay north of New Orleans, lots of traffic and nothing to see from I10.

Have fun! That's a looooooong ride.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Hitechluddite
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to time your ride so that you cross over the Mountains in the middle of the day. If your in El Paso around noon with good weather about 300 miles will see you to Tucson. A little west of tucson you should be clear of any chance of bad weather. If you take I-8 you'll go by dog patch, a pretty cool little place. Even in march and that far south it'll can be cold in the mountains. There is some kick assed back ways to san diego from I-10 if you go that way. Around Banning Check out Going over the mountains through Idylwild, Lake elsinore Julian, Ramona Any where in that area is pretty cool riding. IMHO

Quick Reply: cruisin...from Fl. alllll the way to California. suggestions?