Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How "Reserve" Fuel Works on a Carbed Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:09 AM
Filmy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
There seems to be a number of people here that believe that there is a separate section in the fuel tank where the "Reserve" fuel is stored. I hope this clears it up for you guys.

There is no separate reserve, section, divider, compartment, etc. in the fuel tank.
The petcock pickup tube has 2 fuel holes, one for the normal ON position (upper hole) and one that's used when you switch to the reserve position (lower hole). Once the fuel level drops below the upper hole, you are out of fuel until you switch the valve to Reserve which opens the lower hole.

OK, it's a quick and dirty drawing but it shows how the reserve works.

THAT is a beautiful explanation. Thanks for clearing that up, cHarley. (And I'm glad it wasn't only me who was wondering...)

Old 03-20-2009, 10:57 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Now if he can just explain exactly the function of the blinker fluid.

The following users liked this post:
JimmyL (11-27-2021)
Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 AM
SHOAT
Road Master

I have heard that the stock petcock is vacuum operated (to shut the fuel off when the bike is not running) and if you develop a vacuum leak while riding it will shut the fuel off. Is this true and what are your thoughts on installing a standard petcock (non-vacuum)?

Old 03-20-2009, 12:04 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SHOAT
I have heard that the stock petcock is vacuum operated (to shut the fuel off when the bike is not running) and if you develop a vacuum leak while riding it will shut the fuel off. Is this true and what are your thoughts on installing a standard petcock (non-vacuum)?
This is true, it's a safety device. One, not so uncommon problem with carbs is a stuck float. If this occurs when the bike is parked and you have a standard non vacuum controlled petcock that was left in the ON position, the fuel in the tank will all wind up on the garage floor when the carb overflows. Not good, especially if you have a water heater, furnace, etc. in the same area.

Standard petcocks are great, but only if you remember to turn them off at the end of every ride.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:26 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Now if he can just explain exactly the function of the blinker fluid.
It's pretty simple really. The high lubricous properties of synthetic blinker fluid speed the flow of electron molecules through the blinker circuit. The same properties reduce friction along the electron path resulting in lower operating temperatures. Blinker fluid should be replaced at each scheduled service interval.

Last edited by cHarley; 03-20-2009 at 12:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kre84u (11-27-2021)
Old 03-20-2009, 12:34 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
It's pretty simple really. The high lubricous properties of synthetic blinker fluid speed the flow of electron molecules through the blinker circuit. The same properties reduce friction along the electron path resulting in lower operating temperatures. Blinker fluid should be replaced at each scheduled service interval.

Dino Blinker fluid is better. lol

Old 03-20-2009, 01:14 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't use gasoline in my engine as wet-garbage powers up the flux capacitor! Got it under the last Stimulus Bill...

Old 04-19-2010, 10:43 PM
gjantzer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cHarley.......or anyone who knows........

1. What percentage of fuel (or general fuel amount) is there left in the tank when you are forced to switch over to reserve? It would be nice to know my range without having to test it myself.

2. Is there any harm of burning up a fuel pump if you run the bike out of fuel? Many modern cars have the fuel pump built into the fuel tank. The fuel keeps the pump cool, so when you run out of fuel, the pump could possibly overheat and burn up.

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:03 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gjantzer
cHarley.......or anyone who knows........

1. What percentage of fuel (or general fuel amount) is there left in the tank when you are forced to switch over to reserve? It would be nice to know my range without having to test it myself.
Depends on the petcock. I asked Pingel about mine, and they said like 3/4 gallon, but...I can't even go 20 miles once I switch to reserve. I think there's somethin wrong with my petcock anyway.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:28 PM
davidp00@yahoo.com
Intermediate

hit reserve once about a week after I got the bike, had to pull over to switch it, I wasn't familiar enough with the bike to change it going down the hwy. Thought it safer to coast into a driveway.

Quick Reply: How "Reserve" Fuel Works on a Carbed Bike