Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't decide which bike to buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:20 PM
welder
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't decide which bike to buy

I went to the stealership bright and early today with my check book with full intentions on buying a 09 black nightster I had looked at last week, sat on it for the first time and my legs were really cramped up, I'm 6 foot tall and fairly skinny. I know I can put forward controls on it but it kinda bummed me out and wondered if I'd really be comfortable with the forward controls or if I should just simply look into another bike all together that fit me better from the start. Then I sat on an all black XR1200, I thought from the pictures I've seen of this bike that I wouldn't like it, I like more of the bobber look like the nightster and not into the sport bike look too much anymore, but for some reason I thought it looked pretty damn cool in person, plus it came already set up to carry a passenger. What do you guys think about the XR1200? Should I go with the Nightster because that's what I wanted? I plan on riding the bike around town, to work and back (30 miles), and other short trips. I also wanted to be able to take my wife along occasionally but I would guess I'd mainly be riding alone. I don't really care for the look of the Nightster with the 2 up seats, but I really like the solo seat. The XR1200 looked ok with the factory setup though imo. Any suggestions welcomed.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master

Take a little more time so you know what you want before dropping the "big Bucks". I'm 5'8" with the nightster and forwards. (I had to have the forwards to feel comfortable). So if you get the sporty/N you will need to add this and that which brings the cost up...etc..etc...
I got my N second hand for about 8 grand and then I did some mods to it.
But if I were buying a new one and then have to do mods, to get comfortable on it, I think I would just get a Dyna.
Decisions, decisions

Old 03-22-2009, 12:22 AM
WickedNite08
Novice
Default decisions?

Honestly take a Nightster for a test ride , then decide. My story goes like yours. I saw a Nightster in the window last year. Had to have it. Went to the dealer and made the deal. Lets face it...The bike is just too cool. I live 2 miles from the dealer so my first ride was to home. Loved it even though it was 30deg out . The next time I rode it was a month later . A 28 mile trip to work. The bumps hit very hard on the highway. I made some mods like foward controls and progressive shocks. Im 5'9" going a smooth 185lbs. I fit well on the bike. Its a great bike for around town or short trips. I just traded it in with the Sportster buyback program on a new 09 Dyna Fat Bob. What a difference in ride quality. Lots of dealers have demo and rental models. Ride some bikes, you will be glad you did. Just my experience.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:24 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Buy a New Iron ... best bang for your buck and will get max trade in value for it if want to move up compared to others...

Old 03-22-2009, 01:05 AM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO you wont be nearly as comfortable on the XR1200 as the Nightster, especially riding 2up.

If you're like me, you will prolly feel cramped on any bike that doesnt have forward controls including most Dyna class bikes.

Without knowing you and your personal style, I would say to get the Nightster and have the forward controls installed and rolled in the "out-the-door" cost. If your dealer wants to charge freight and prep, search around for one that will waive those costs and that should offset the price of the addons.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:53 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, forward controls are torture. You will need some time in the saddle to figure out which bike has the ergos that work for you. Try to rent/borrow/steal some time on different models. It won't take long to figure out what works for you.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:56 AM
welder
Advanced

Thanks to everyone, some really good advice here. So it looks like what I really need to do is test ride a few of these bikes and see what works best, can't hurt anyway. Are the dealerships usually willing to let you test ride the bikes? I've been in a few times already so they should know I'm not just in there joy riding. I've never ridden a bike with forward controls before. BWLucky13, your comment is what I'm afraid of, I've ridden dirt bikes and dual sport bikes for 20 years now so making a transition to a bike without "mid" controls might be really hard. I'm going to try and make it back to the dealer within a week here, I'll update on what I find out...

Old 03-22-2009, 12:40 PM
PGDredd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get used to the forward controls and love them after about 2 feet.

With your hieght, when you go back to the dealer, ride a Street Bob too. I love the Nitester, but for your purposes, the Dyna would probably suit you better. The worst thing in the world is for you to buy this Sporty, and 3 months later ride somone's Dyna and wish you weren't stuck with the Sporty....

Old 03-22-2009, 02:38 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll get used to the forward controls and love them after about 2 feet.

Not necessarily, I've been riding for over 30 years and I can't stand forward controls.But I'm only 5'10" and have a 32" inseam I always feel like I'm stretching to reach forwards.At 6 foot you'll probably need them to ride a Sportster comfortably and maybe a Dyna as well.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:01 PM
bigaluk
Cruiser

i'm 6ft and about 200lbs and find any sportster a tight fit, until the xr1200. i'm on my second one now. trading in the first was a mistake! its not a sports bike but it is a sporting harley. i do thrash it around the back roads, it has had both footpegs on the ground and i think its great. but anything over 70 miles in one sitting and my *** is getting sore, when used hard the tank range is'nt to good anyway. keep the revs up and it does fly. 2 up a bit cramped but i dont think its aimed at the touring market. over here the dealers are trying to shift the screen,bags,tail packs that nobody wants. which ever you go for enjoy.

Quick Reply: Can't decide which bike to buy