Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I May Be Nuts But ,

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 11:26 AM
DanDeuce
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I May Be Nuts But ,

After 5 years of owning my Deuce I'm seriousely considering selling it and downsizing to a 1200 Sporty . On the day I bought the Deuce I was originally going for a Sportster, the Wife talked me out of it for a bigger bike so she would be more comfy . After a year of riding my best friend and his wife were killed in a MC accident , yes I was there . Not a good thing , plus after 4 years the Wife refuses to ride anymore - therefore no need for the bigger bike .
Question , as all of my riding is just day trips , do you Sporty riders think I will be sorry in buying a Sportster ? Sat on one the other day , Nighster , really felt good ( light ) and that will be a big plus as after almost 30 years of a screwed up back and getting worse recently my Deuces weight , bulk seems overwelming . Don't want to give up riding , hopefully a Sportster will help out in this area .

Question #2 , I have a 32" inseam , will mid controls fit me ok ? Forward controls don't allow me to absorb any shock from potholes and such and we have plenty in good ole Kalifornia .

Thanks for any input , Dan

Old 06-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Somber Goat
Tourer

Go to the dealership and sit on a low and a custom, you'll see difference in the mid and forward controls, that should hopefully take some of the guess work out. I have 32' inseam as well and ride an 883 low which came with mids. Great control, but definitely different if you've been riding forwards for a while.

It will be a lighter bike so handling will have more feel, just make sure you take shocks and seat into consideration. The stock seats are 2x6's in my opinion and the stock rear shocks are livable but depending on you and your back it may be the first to get upgraded.

I'm sure you'll get more responses, let us know what you decide.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:24 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

+1 Check out the 1200C Sporty with forward controls. They are not as far forward as on your Deuce.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:36 PM
camelott112
Intermediate

Yeah i have forwards on my nighty and the comfort and control are still way easy on the lighter bike, im a young buck so the body can take a little more beating than my father-in-law, but he has alot of back troubles and he begs me to trade off for a while on long runs because he likes the lighter bike...

Old 06-06-2009, 01:37 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

sporty going to ride hard for you (back)

Old 06-06-2009, 01:52 PM
HDXXX
Road Captain

I think the right seat and shocks will go along ways. Demo a bike from a dealer. The handling is great and fun.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Bentwrench
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Low Sportsters

With a sensitive back, I'd stay away from the Low. Only about 2" of total rear suspension travel, and then wham. Go for as much suspension as you can get. The bling-ness of a low bike doesn't count for squat when your scoot causes pain. That's why I retained the mid controls. I can raise up and let my legs absorb a hump or violent dip that would otherwise hammer my spine. If you need to move your feet around, highway pegs are an easy option.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Recon Dad
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 65 and went from a 98 Road King FLHRCI to a 2008 XL1200L. My legs couldn't take the weight of the RK anymore in traffic and the RK would not fit in the garage beside the SS Camaro and the wall.

I started out with a 1960 XLCH and had just about every type of bike, dirt, enduro, sport, cruiser and touring over the years.

Back on a Sportster and really like it.

Don't know if it would be good for you with a bad back, but it's cheap enough to do suspension and seat upgrades.

Some of the HD dealers are giving free test drives so give it a try. http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US

Old 06-06-2009, 09:17 PM
racedvl
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bad back as well, and have been wanting to ADD a Softtail or RK to the stable with the Sporty. Anything more than 150 miles at a crack, and my back really starts to let me know that it is not happy......... but I really love riding the Sporty, just not on long runs.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:33 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

Thanks to all , looks like I'll do this if I can get up my nerve , pictures don't do my Deuce justice and its a bit scary getting rid of her ! It appears none of the dealers , at least in No. CA rent sportsters . Sure would like to rent one for the day , new dealer in Vacaville - maybe they have changed their policy on renting the Sportsters , I hope ? Or at least a test drive outside of the parking lot .

Think mid controls would help my back alot , using the legs ( good ole dirt bike days ) to absorb some of the impact from forseeable road irregularities .

Quick Reply: I May Be Nuts But ,