Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Modified Stock Exhaust 09 Nightster...Aint Quiet No More!!! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/336541-modified-stock-exhaust-09-nightster-aint-quiet-no-more.html)

The_Rooster 04-10-2009 06:26 PM

Modified Stock Exhaust 09 Nightster...Aint Quiet No More!!!

This has probably been posted before but I only read the Sportster section and haven't come across it yet. Remember, attempt at your own risk.

I went to the local bike night here in Concord. It was a blast as always. Bikes, Beer and Bikini Girls (it was bikini night.) Anyhow, when it came time to leave I started the bike and you couldn't hear the damn thing over all the other bikes.

Ok, new project.

I called the local dealer and spoke to a tech about the exhaust on the 09 Nightster. He said, unlike previous model years, that they welded the baffle assembly into the bike's muffler so it is not removable.

Like that'll stop me.

I asked him about the little plate I could see about 6 inches down the pipe. He said that is the restrictor plate which redirects the exhaust into the tiny holes in the baffle and makes it quieter.

So I asked, "Can I punch that out?"

"That or drill it out, but it'll void the warranty in the mufflers. However, it should increase the sound drastically but any performance gains would be negligable unless you go with slip-ons or change the pipes."

I went ahead and decided to go ahead and punch a hole in the center with a center punch before I left work and I noticed, with the penny sized hole, it was still quiet at idle but sounded better under load.

When I got home, I pulled into the garage and grabbed a long socket extension and a spark plug socket and started pounding away. Took several minutes and several hard hits and you gotta be careful when doing the shorter pipe because you can smack the muffler above with the hammer. The plate broke apart and only the outer ring was left in place but now the exhaust had a straight line out the back.

Moment of truth.

I put the bike in neutral. Turned the key. Primed the pump and hit the switch.

HOLY S***!!!!

Not only was it LOUD, full of bass and overall bada**...but it had one hell of a reverb. It sounded like I just put a $600 set of Vance and Hines on the bike.

I grabbed my helmet and off I went. All I could hear was the exhaust and it was perfect. Exactly the sound I was looking for. No backfires. Acceleration was MUCH Smoother and she just roared to life.

I have never been happier with a mod.

Well worth the few times I smashed my fingers with the hammer.

06-03-2009 01:36 PM

Did the HD mechanic say anything about negative effects? Loosing back pressure? Damage to engine?

midnight2005 06-03-2009 03:52 PM

screw what the stealer has to say, let us know how it does. popping, how it runs, ect.

06-04-2009 10:05 PM

I punched out my mufflers, they sound awesome, much louder, but I do notice a loss in power. Good thing I'm into cruising not racing.

1slo6 06-04-2009 10:31 PM

where did the little plate go??? did u pull it out or leave it in there....

cmoran3 06-04-2009 11:36 PM

i had like a 12 inch 1/2 inch wide drill bit. i drilled like 5 holes in the plate and then went on a 85 mile ride. sounded awesome. never noticed any loss of pressure

BiggDogg 06-05-2009 09:26 AM

ANY PICS of the procedure?

RATROD HOG 06-05-2009 09:39 AM

when it came time to leave I started the bike and you couldn't hear the damn thing over all the other bikes.

kinda zucks
my cuz has a goldwinger and you cant hear the damn thing running,i took him to a rally one time (harley) with me and said its too damn noisy,i told him to take out his (hearing aid),funny zhit still talk about it today.

1slo6 06-05-2009 05:56 PM

there has to be some loss of power but maybe not noticeable enough....

dm76 06-05-2009 11:42 PM

huh?

Originally Posted by The_Rooster (Post 4844796)

He said, unlike previous model years, that they welded the baffle assembly into the bike's muffler so it is not removable.

So what this tech is saying is that the baffles in my stock pipes on my 2000 sporty are removable?

On a side note...i did this mod same on my first bike, it was a suzuki boulevard C50, and it made a HELL of a difference!!