Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nightster or street bob

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:03 PM
ddtt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nightster or street bob

Maybe this has been asked before as I am new to the HD forum, and HD's in general. This will be my first HD, though I have ridden bikes offroad and on for a long time. I am hoping to get a few questions answered about which bike would be better for me, nightster or street bob? I will more than likely be riding one up, though at some point I should consider a HD for two up riding for those rare times my wife would want to ride. I really, really like the look of the nightster and the street bob. Would the bob be better for highway runs of 4-5 hours at 75 mph? I feel the nightster might be pushing it too hard for that duration and make for more repairs etc... Which is more fun to ride? And do some laugh at guys on smaller sportsters? I ask because you hear everyone wanting the bigger bikes and think sportsters are for beginners. I think they are cool little bikes but I know I can ride the larger twins as well.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:41 PM
bdorr67
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ddtt
Maybe this has been asked before as I am new to the HD forum, and HD's in general. This will be my first HD, though I have ridden bikes offroad and on for a long time. I am hoping to get a few questions answered about which bike would be better for me, nightster or street bob? I will more than likely be riding one up, though at some point I should consider a HD for two up riding for those rare times my wife would want to ride. I really, really like the look of the nightster and the street bob. Would the bob be better for highway runs of 4-5 hours at 75 mph? I feel the nightster might be pushing it too hard for that duration and make for more repairs etc... Which is more fun to ride? And do some laugh at guys on smaller sportsters? I ask because you hear everyone wanting the bigger bikes and think sportsters are for beginners. I think they are cool little bikes but I know I can ride the larger twins as well.
To paraphrase tweakin, "I took the Street Bob for a test ride, traded my Nightster, and never looked back".

He had one of the best looking Nightster and now has one of the best looking Street Bobs.

I think you'll be more comfortable on the Street Bob if you're looking to ride 4 to 5 hours. But then again, the touring bikes would be the best option for longer rides.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:54 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 07 FXDB practically idles at 75-80mph....the Sputsters are great little bikes but do yourself a favor and go for the Street Bob..obviously,my opinion is biased...:>)

Old 04-13-2009, 05:08 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the Street Bob alot. I'm looking for something that my wife can enjoy with me...although I won't be letting go of my Nightster. Tough decision if I had to choose one or the other.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:35 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior

My first choice would've been the Bob or other Dyna but my wallet was only up for the Sportster so thats what I've been riding the last 3yrs. and 26k both solo and 2-up. Tolerable and fun for both but far from being a good long distance riding bike.
Next time up I'm going for a touring bike and just keep the sporty as a bobber or build something else thats cool looking.
I like the sportster and its fun but just saying if your intentions from the get go are long hauls and 2 up get something you can afford and works well for your style of riding.
By the way, pushing it too hard and repairs have nothing to do with the sportster as its an engine and bike built to ride just like any other (remember most touring bikes not all that long ago had the same displacement and all are still just air-cooled vtwins).

Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

Try to get a test ride on both.If you're used to riding lighter, quicker bikes you may find the Bob kind of slow.I've had a Street Bob since they came out and there are times I wish I would have got something a bit quicker to start with.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

The dyna is the better overall bike. Not knocking Sportsters(I loved mine!) but it was best at jumpin around town. I traded up to a softail for bigger motor,better long haul ride quality and 2up capabilities.

My wife doesn't go out much on the bike either, But it did suck!!!! when she did.
After about a hour on the Nightster we both had enough.

We don't have but 500 miles on the softail so far, So we haven't been on any long 2 up rides yet. But the riding we have done, I can hardly tell she is even on the bike.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 PM
deadhead111469
Tourer

I'm a sporty owner...but prefer the look and feel of the dyna(lowrider for me) but which ever way you go you'll be happy

Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Bob, I went from a 2005 883XLC to a 2009 Bob. Not really because of the power, even though the extra pull sure is nice along with the lower center of gravity, but for the comfort. The Street Bob just fit me absolutly perfect and I ahve always wanted one since the day I sat on it.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:55 PM
ddtt
Novice

Most of my riding won't be 4-5 hour rides, only here and there. I know this is highly subjective, but which is more fun? By lloks alone I suspect that nightster is a hoot to ride, esp. w/ some good pipes and forward controls. Does anyone ever ride a sportster for 200-300 hundred miles in a day? And I take it 75 mph won't be beating on a 1200 or will it? I always thought again that cruisers never were meant to be ridden over 65-70mph.

Quick Reply: nightster or street bob