Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Fuelpak question?...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Daigle603
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question V&H Fuelpak question?...

Ok so I have a basically stock XL1200N, the only thing I have performance wise is the V&H shortshots staggered, no baffles. I ordered the V&H fuelpak (which will be here today). The only problem is they don't offer a map setting for The sortshots staggered with no baffles and stock intake. I've been told that my bike is probably running lean since putting the pipes on. Seeing how running rich is better than lean, i'm wondering if I just go ahead and put the map setting for the baffled pipes and stage 1 intake will get me into a safer zone until I get the stage 1 intake and even then theres no setting for not having baffles, not sure that would even matter that much. What do you think? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:48 AM
SteveCarney
Cruiser

I don't know if the fuelpack has the capability to store a custum tune, but i know that you're probably better off to just run the pipes until you get the A/C.

Out of curiosity, why are you running no baffles? Like i know it's a little louder, but you're killing your performance. If i were you, though, and you're dead set on no baffles, i would look for drag pipes similar in shape to the short shots, and do the fuel pack tune for those, because if you don't have the baffle in, essentially, what you have is drag pipes.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:29 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

You can also try emailing V&H and see if they have some custom settings for you to plug into the FuelPak until you get the Air done?

Old 04-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Daigle603
Novice

Originally Posted by SteveCarney
I don't know if the fuelpack has the capability to store a custum tune, but i know that you're probably better off to just run the pipes until you get the A/C.

Out of curiosity, why are you running no baffles? Like i know it's a little louder, but you're killing your performance. If i were you, though, and you're dead set on no baffles, i would look for drag pipes similar in shape to the short shots, and do the fuel pack tune for those, because if you don't have the baffle in, essentially, what you have is drag pipes.
I partly chose no baffles for the sound but also I thought less restriction = more power? I'm curious now, can you elaborate on the baffle issue for me? Thanks, I appreciate the question.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Daigle603
Novice

Originally Posted by jbg
You can also try emailing V&H and see if they have some custom settings for you to plug into the FuelPak until you get the Air done?
Yeah I did email V&H and that's what they told me, no map setting for stock a/c and no baffles. Actually that got me thinking, I wonder if they have a setting for stock a/c and pipes with baffles, i'll email em and find out. I have the baffles, I can always throw them in. Thanks
Daigle

Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 PM
SteveCarney
Cruiser

The baffles create a little bit of back pressure. The motor needs some back pressure to operate correctly. Without opening up the front end with an air cleaner, the pipes don't make a real difference in power anyway.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:20 AM
sweetroll
Advanced

On the note of the baffles... I installed the "quiet" baffles in my bike and noticed more torque in the low end. I would suggest you at least leave the standard baffles, unless you really like the noise. The motor will like you better and you'll have more power.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Daigle603
Novice

Originally Posted by sweetroll
On the note of the baffles... I installed the "quiet" baffles in my bike and noticed more torque in the low end. I would suggest you at least leave the standard baffles, unless you really like the noise. The motor will like you better and you'll have more power.
Did you get 2 sets of baffles? Or do you order a certain baffle? I don't remember. I see your point, and this does all make sence. Hmm what to do...

Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Daigle603
Novice
Default update...

Originally Posted by Daigle603
Ok so I have a basically stock XL1200N, the only thing I have performance wise is the V&H shortshots staggered, no baffles. I ordered the V&H fuelpak (which will be here today). The only problem is they don't offer a map setting for The sortshots staggered with no baffles and stock intake. I've been told that my bike is probably running lean since putting the pipes on. Seeing how running rich is better than lean, i'm wondering if I just go ahead and put the map setting for the baffled pipes and stage 1 intake will get me into a safer zone until I get the stage 1 intake and even then theres no setting for not having baffles, not sure that would even matter that much. What do you think? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
so I installed the V&H fuelpak, I put in the codes for standard baffles and a stage 1 A/C eventhough I have neither. I was hoping that it would at the very least run a little rich, cause I think we all agree rich is better than lean. It worked, not only is it running a little rich, not bad at all, I noticed more power as well. I don't know, just tryin stuff here, i'm still open to opinions and ideas.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:08 AM
sweetroll
Advanced

Sounds like you're on the right track. For the quiet baffles - they are actually a different baffle set than the standards - check out the V&H website - i think the pair was ~$50...
To give you an idea - while the standard baffles just have the spiral pattern of holes, the quiet ones actually have packing around them, similar to a dirt bike exhaust if you are familiar with that. If you do decide to go with the quiets, don't be too quick to get disappointed if it's not as loud as you'd like - the packing will burn away a bit and it gets louder. And if it's not what you want, you always have the standards to go back to.