Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to the HD scene - some advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 AM
sexpanther
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the HD scene - some advice please!

Hi folks.
Have purchased an 883 iron over here in the UK. going to have to wait a few months for delivery, so have been looking through this forum for inspiration and advice from all you guys. - your bikes look great!

now please bear with me - im sure you may have heard these questions before - did try a forum search but cant seem to get a consistant answer.

after seeing your bikes, im keen on getting the V & H staggered shorties in black. - now heres the technical bit - i know ill need a fuelpak/PC if i change the airbox at the same time as the pipes.

as its quite an expensive task to do all this in the UK (over $1500) i need to do it in stages when my bank allows

so the big question- can i fit the V & H pipes on their own without adding the fuelpak and changing the airbox? i can sort the fuelpak and airbox at a later date.

also - some people have mentioned you can get the dealer to update the ecu instead of getting a fuelpak - is that possible?

thanks in advance for your help guys - us brits need your help on these harley mods

Old 06-09-2009, 05:10 AM
gijim
Advanced

welcome to the forums, sorry I can't help you with your questions but I'm sure before too long you will have more than enough suggestions enjoy your Iron, had I not gotten my 1200L about 2 months before the Iron came out I would be riding one of those

Old 06-09-2009, 06:15 AM
alephsubzero
Intermediate

sexpanther,

I wouldnt install the pipes without the ecu update and airfilter. This is an electronic inyection engine, and the cpu that manages engine is configured over the stock components. If you change your exhaust, engine is throwing out gases in an easier way. What makes sense is to allow engine to bring air also easier, and tell the ecu to optimize this performance.

About ecu update, i think there are different ways for achieving this: Install new ecu, reprogram stock, install an additional device that lies to ecu. I bought my v&h from usa, screaming eagle air intake here in spain, and my dealer reprogramed my ecu.

Good Luck!

Old 06-09-2009, 07:58 AM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes you can install pipes without re mapping the computer. I have ran V&H pipes on mine for a year and even the dealer told me it was ok. Now the next step is the ac and remap or power commander.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Hitechluddite
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my experience the airbox makes a bigger change than the exhaust. I'd do the pipes first then the airbox and ecu. If you like your local dealer they can do it. The advantage to a fuel pak is with a laptop, cable and S/W you can obtain curves and burn them yourself to fine tune things...