Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could I just be a Sportster guy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could I just be a Sportster guy?

So I'm thinking of trading, right? So, I always thought I would trade up. You know a bigger bike. Maybe a nice Softail or a Lowrider. Nobody buys a Sportster and keeps a Sportster, right? But I find myself drawn to the 1200 Low. I love that bike. I mean dont get me wrong, I like every model of Harley. There is something I can appreciate about every model. I know alot of people who aren't that way. But looking at the different models, there aren't any that grab me. The 1200 Low grabs me. But then I ask myself, Is it practical? I mean, I'm hoping my wife takes a little bit more interest in riding. Theres not a whole lot of room on a Sportster. How many of you guys ride two up frequently on a Sportster? Does it work out ok? What do you guys think? Am I crazy? Getting cold feet at the thought of getting a bigger bike perhaps? Or, is it possible to just want to keep riding your Sportster? Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:10 PM
michaelmartin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I say be patient, save a little extra, keep the Sportster and buy a second bike.

Then you can ride what you want, when you want. And maybe the wife will be more inspired to take the Sportster out when you take whatever else.

When I wanted to buy my Sportster, I was lucky enough to have a few K for a downpayment, but I still had to come up with $150 a month.

So I quit smoking.

That saved me about $180 a month. Easy fix (well not THAT easy, but doable). Just have to find a way to cut a few bucks a day here and there out of your daily expenses and you can find a way to make it happen.

Good luck.

The following 3 users liked this post by michaelmartin:
Long lonesome highwayman (04-24-2020), sparkalot (12-18-2021), Stud Duck (12-19-2021)
Old 06-10-2009, 09:11 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WHATAYA MEAN IS IT POSSIBLE?! Haha just messin with ya, but seriously you are talking like "one of them". Yes it is possible to actually like sportsters. I always wanted a sportster, and didn't know that they were the cheap ones when I was a kid. Sure, probably a majority of people trade up and all that, but it's not like anyone is forcing you. Ride what makes you happy. I happen to like the fun quick nimble bikes. In the future I think I want a 1200 of some sort, maybe like a Triumph old style bike, Possibly a larger Harley... I like the Softail Customs but I will never get rid of the Sportster!

Just make sure you get what you will enjoy.

Edit: it's that peanut tank aint it? Man it gets me too!

Last edited by killer scott; 06-10-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 PM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing at all wrong with being a Sportster guy. I am one. Much as I like the bigger models, I love my 883, am proud of it, take my wife to enjoy a ride when she wants to go, and enjoy the heck out of it myself.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

If'n yer single and plan on staying that way (at least for a while) keep to the Sporty. JMHO

Old 06-10-2009, 09:18 PM
BigNick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You and I are riding the same road... I started with a '99 883 Custom, and have had just about every type of bike since then... I just sold my Road King, and the only thing I can think about is a new Iron. It looks like the XL I've always wanted to create, and my wallet (and wife) will be happy with the price... lots of $$$ left for mods. I'm finding that, even though I've ridden a lot of different types of bikes, in all price ranges, when it comes down to it, I want one of the cheapest Harley's there is! There's nothing like a Sportster for getting maximum fun factor. I'm finally over giving a crap what others say/think about Sportsters... from the day I got rid of my XL, I've been secretly wanting another one. I say, if it fits the style of riding you want to do, stick with the XL.

The "second bike" idea is good too... or, if you would like to go on a longer trip with the wife, you can always rent a tourer for a few days. I have to admit that part of the reason I got rid of my RK, is that I was tired of getting blown away by my sister-in-law on her Nightster... she always seemed to be having just a little more fun on our rides than I was, while plodding along on my couch of a ride.

Last edited by BigNick; 06-10-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Brain fungus got the better of me.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:20 PM
USAF RIDER
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripper
If'n yer single and plan on staying that way (at least for a while) keep to the Sporty. JMHO
He Clearly states that he's not single.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:25 PM
FLHX08
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Keep your bike and put a bunch of miles on that Sportster. there's nothing wrong with riding the crap out of a Sportster. whatever you do don't go and talk to a salesman and ask this question.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:27 PM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just a Sportster kind of guy. I may get another bike down the road but I'll prolly always have a Sporty in the stable.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Metolius
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't be an outlaw when you're riding the same giant couch the fuzz are putting around on. I don't know about you guys but when I was a kid and thought Harley's are cool I wasn't picturing a Glide or softy in full dress. It was a loud as hell sporty. Still that way sure the big high dollar bikes are sweet but they're not for me. I like old Nortons and BSAs, Triumphs and home made bobbers I like cut down simple bikes and as far as I'm concerned my Iron is the most beautiful thing on two wheels. So I too am a sportster guy. Cool thing about being one is you'll always have someone to ride with because you're not a snob about what your buddies ride.

Quick Reply: Could I just be a Sportster guy?