Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Chevync20
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do?

Here is my dilema, still looking a bike and having trouble locating one that suits what I need. I still question the sporster comfort because ive sat on nothing but stock ones so it hard to get a feel. I did sit on a Vulcan 900 and it fit nicely, but know most of you probaly dont care for this bike as it isnt a HD but im on a limited budget and desperately want to ride this year before the cold sits in. I really looking an 04 or 05 as it has larger tire, like the tanks better, but are they any bigger than the peanut tank models? Just worried with my 6'1 240 lb frame. If anyone could post pics of 6' or very close to that I would really appreciate pictures so I cant get more a feel of how it will look. I have a strict 5500 budget to stay on as of now or until I can save more, but I do not really care for the 883 rather go ahead and have the 1200 to start with fowards, etc. Any input is greatly appreciated

Old 07-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Metrics are good, reliable bikes, but they don't elicit the "FEEL" of a Harley. Sure, the Sportster can be made to fit, but that requires a seat and shocks and $$$ to get them. Yeah, you can find good deals on ebay or other places for parts, but if you spend your hard earned, long saved bucks for something that doesn't fit NOW, then you may have to save more for seat that fits you, and ride your bike miserably until you can scrape up the cash to make improvements. If you factor in future improvements to the price of the bike, you'll be ahead and I'd say get a Sportster. OTOH, the Vulcan fits you ok now and presumably wouldn't require a lot of modifications to fit you. The metric engines are pretty reliable and solid, and a USED metric doesn't really lose that much value. A metric would also get you riding a lot more to a point where you would develop your own riding style that you KNOW what you want for a second bike and what you want it to do for you.

My criteria for a second bike was...nimble, quick, low (I have the opposite problem you have...I'm a short $h!t), fairly lightweight, fuel injection, tubeless tires, able to be set up to go cross-country if I wanted, and gets decent fuel economy. My '07 Sportster 1200 Low fits that bill. Not a whole lot of bikes manufactured fit that bill for me.

The Vulcan is cheaper, more forgiving, is capable of long range riding (though it won't rocket UPHILL in the mountains), gets good fuel economy, takes regular unleaded, if I'm not mistaken, standard 10W40 motor oil, and is comfortable from the start. It will not beat a 1200 Sporty assuming same rider skill. The problem with a 900 is it's still a 900cc and as your skills improve, you might want something with a little more "oomph", especially while merging into traffic and passing. Then you might want another bike you won't be able to afford for a long time. So I've probably just helped increase your dilemma even more.

On one hand, Kawasaki Vulcan will WORK and it's affordable to you (so will the Honda 1100, 1300, Stars (Yamaha), and Suzuki. The Triumph American might also be a consideration, but I'm not sure how affordable or reliable they are. However, I'm not sure if those bikes will perform how you want them to perform once your skills improve. You don't appear to be able to simply "get a starter bike" and then simply dump it for a better one. You seem to want a bike you can learn on and keep riding happily once you have some miles under your belt.

On the other hand, you want a Harley, and I don't blame you. There's a certain feeling one gets on a rumbling 45 degree V-twin, but the Sportsters have fit and comfort issues for you in stock configuration, and the Dynas seem to be a little out of your budget right now. I'd say if you could afford it, get a good used Dyna.

As an aside, but related, the most common complaints I've noticed from ANY make bike is the seat and shocks. And I've noticed that although Harley accessories are expensive, they are reasonably priced compared to other bike makers accessories, and Harley has more accessories to choose from. And I LOVE the ease of installation of Harley seats....one bolt! Other seat manufacturers also make plenty of seat choices for Sportsters.

So, bottom line in this long-winded, rambling post? If a Sportster 1200 with forward controls is within your budget, and you can swing up to $300 for a seat (I doubt you will need to spend that much), then get the Sporty.

I have 11" Progressive 412 shocks on the rear of mine, an after market HD seat, and I've been close to 19,000 miles on it since September 2007. It still works for me.

Teek

Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Just look in the classifieds here in the forums. A lot of great seats for a lot less than new. And most of them are new or fairly new.

I've bought close to 60% of all my aftermarket parts from members here. No complaints and it fits my budget. Just an idea.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Chevync20
Cruiser

So honestly a sportster with a new seat and lowering shocks would make the ride much better? Trying to keep the stock bars on a sportster until the winter when I have some down time. Yeah the Harley has a better sound and something feels better about it just from sitting on them.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:15 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

wow! 5500 will get you a really nice sporty. I'm 6'4'' 270, and I ride mine pretty comfy. I did make a set of extended forward controls though, they're about 5'' over stock. Helped out a lot, and most of my buddies can't ride it now. (added bonus) I know for a fact they will let you test ride the sporty if you have an endorsement on your license, but I don't know about the yamaha, it wouldn't hurt to ask. I would ride both if possible and see which you like. Keep in mind, if you ride the vulcan with friend with harleys, you're going to be left sitting from time to time. Even the 883 is considerably faster than the 900.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:31 AM
iupsig97
Tourer

6'2" 205lbs here and my sporty fits just fine with forwards and mini-apes. Oh, I have the stock XLC seat as well.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:42 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Go for the Sportster.I had a Vulcan 900,it was buzzy at hiway speed,although you can change the gearing,seat was a nightmare,valves were always needing adjustment.When you are done all you have is a knock off anyway with little to no market value.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:13 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5500 should get you a fairly decent 90s vintage Sportster. Maybe if you shop around you can find one with forward controls and a nice seat. I've never been a big fan of metric cruisers It's not that I don't like metric bikes but most are knock offs of either Harleys or customs based on Harleys. If i had 5500 I'd be looking at used Triumph Bonnies, Kawi ZRXs,Suzuki Bandits, Honda 919s etc.In other words something fast and fun to ride that's not trying to be something it's not. Now that's just my personal feelings on the subject, if you find a big metric cruiser that you like and can afford by all means go for it, I have a friend that actually sold a 1200S and bought an 1100 VStar and loves it but you'll never see me asking him to ride it.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevync20
So honestly a sportster with a new seat and lowering shocks would make the ride much better? Trying to keep the stock bars on a sportster until the winter when I have some down time. Yeah the Harley has a better sound and something feels better about it just from sitting on them.
I have an '07 Sportster Low, which has been LOWERED an additional 1/2" with 11" Progressive 412s because I AM SHORT! You, my friend, are NOT! The ride improves as the shocks get LONGER, all else being equal. A 12.5" Progressive 412 shock will be better than an 11" Progressive 412 shock because it provided more spring travel, and can be set to a lighter setting to prevent the shock from bottoming out. However, the 11" Progressive 412 shock is better than the longer 11.5" stock Harley shock, but those shocks aren't equal. When I'm riding two up with my wife, it's only a combined weight of 150-160 lbs with gear. I bottom out the frame on speed bumps! I also have forward controls on mine. Longer shocks however, increase the feeling of "top heaviness" at slow parking lot speeds. It raises the center of gravity a little more. Sit on the new XR 1200 and note how that feels to you. I can't even think about touching the ground on it, but it's very nice. Maybe you can find an old 1200 R (discontinued last year, I think). Those are taller. Basically, I don't think you can go wrong with 12" Progressive 412 shocks on a Custom 1200, or 1200 Low with forward mounted controls (stock controls on the Low are MID controls, which feel slightly cramped even for my short little 26" inseam).

Teek

Old 07-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Chevync20
Cruiser

So what shocks should I look at for someone around 6'? I dont want something that feels to top heavy, but just trying to figure out how I can make a sporster comfortable as I really want to get out there and ride and a street bike is out of the question to me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to do?