Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Air Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:23 PM
A7X
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Air Intake System

I need to upgrade my air intake system from stock. I have a 2001 Custom, what type of Air Intake should I get to increase the HP and Torque a bit? Also, is it easy to install yourself? While I'm waiting to get a new system should I pop off that black plastic case behind the ham cam of the stock air-intake to allow more airflow?

Old 07-07-2009, 02:28 PM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any upgrade above stock is going to approximatelythe same results, just go with what you like the looks of. The instal on most that I have seen is very simple. I would leave the stock one alone until you get the new one. Don't want to break anything or make it unridable while you are waiting for the new one to come in.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:59 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The only secret that applies to air cleaners is bigger (surface area of the filter) is always better.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:10 PM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the look of the Arlen Ness "Big Sucker".

Old 07-08-2009, 01:25 AM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior

big suckers are pretty damn good, i personally prefer a velocity stack but anything is better than stock or screaming eagle repackaged stock. leave your stock cleaner alone cuz u'll need it on resale. you could spend $20k on customizations and it'll still only be worth $5k range on resale so keeping yer stock parts will allow you to seperately sell the aftermarket parts. a pro shop like NRHS will tell which parts are dyno proven and which are straight up snake oil.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:48 AM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

Also when you do the aircleaner your going to need a fuel management system of some kind. you can't just change out the aircleaner and call it good. you will need a Power Commander, fuel pak or some other brand. You should install these at the same time and you will need a remap to get the proper air/fuel mixture. if these are not done at the same time you will start having problems. On my bike i put a PC III and for the aircleaner i'm running the Arlen Ness Big Sucker.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:48 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crazytrain69
Also when you do the aircleaner your going to need a fuel management system of some kind. you can't just change out the aircleaner and call it good. you will need a Power Commander, fuel pak or some other brand. You should install these at the same time and you will need a remap to get the proper air/fuel mixture. if these are not done at the same time you will start having problems. On my bike i put a PC III and for the aircleaner i'm running the Arlen Ness Big Sucker.
Um, Crazytrain, he has an '01 which is carbed, so he'll just need to do a re-jet on the carb.

Now to answer A7's ?, as everyone else already stated, basically anything is better than stock or SE, and leave the stocker alone until you get the aftermarket AC. Which AC?....That depends on what style you like.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:12 AM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
Um, Crazytrain, he has an '01 which is carbed, so he'll just need to do a re-jet on the carb.

Now to answer A7's ?, as everyone else already stated, basically anything is better than stock or SE, and leave the stocker alone until you get the aftermarket AC. Which AC?....That depends on what style you like.
WOW! I think i need more coffee! To early i guess to be thinking clearly. Thanks. LOL

Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Krakanator
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the Doherty PowerPacc. It looks similar to the big sucker, but I have come across threads where people said that the backplates on the suckers were cracking. The backplate on the doherty is a solid chunk of CNC'd artwork, not an ounce of plastic. It's on the pricey side, but you can use a bunch of diffrent covers on it.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 AM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

There are some great instructions for re-jetting the carb over at sportster.org. There have been several forums that ran comparisons of all the air filter setups and really as long as you go from the stock AC to a high flow AC like any K&N you'll be doing fine.

Quick Reply: Best Air Intake System