Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting heat shields

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:57 PM
fatguy-littlebike
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting heat shields

just wondering if anyone has done this. i have vht "flame proof" flat black spray paint. it says it will take 1300 to 2000 degrees but im kind of afraid to try it. i did a test on a spare heat shield and it would look great on the iron(but for how long) but i dont want to mess up my only heat shields that fit. i also have v&h slip-ons that i would do the outer shells the same way.also i only sanded a bit on the test piece. what else could i do? i am also worried about chipping being spray paint.

thanks! any input is apriciated

Old 10-06-2009, 12:43 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used some high temp BBG paint that I bought at Home Depot and I flat blacked the drag pipes on my ’99 XL883. A few people told me that you can’t paint over the chrome and that it will flake off but I just painted them anyway and the paint has lasted for a few years now without any problems so far. A good friend of mine made some heat shields for his bike and painted them with the same kind of high temp BBQ paint and they look good and have held up too! I saw a Harley at Cook’s corner that had exhaust pipes painted GREEN. The guy that owned it said that he just painted over his stock chrome pipes and the slip on mufflers and even though I wasn’t in love with the color choice, the finish looked OK to me. I have no background in painting so I do not know the long term results of painting over the chrome parts but the heat shields do not get as hot as the pipes themselves do and mine lasted for a few years. Good luck with your project and ride safe.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I used VHT header paint on the pipe on my Buell. I sandblasted the chrome pipe and followed the directions on the can to a "T". Came out pretty cool.

Name:  1003090024a.jpg
Views: 8671
Size:  39.1 KB

Old 10-06-2009, 05:27 AM
Nightking
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure why some folks thnk that chrome is some imaginary diamond type surface or something. If you scuff it real good with a scotchbrite pad and follow the directions, you will have a fairly long lasting finish. Or you could use High temp powder coat, which will last forever. Funny thing is, most of the part houses I find the VHT at, don't carry the primer that is supposed to be used before.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:30 AM
kelticknotts
Cruiser

I use grill paint on pretty much everything when painting parts on my bike....2 years so far and no problems....and the best part...if it scratches or chips....I'll hit it again...

Old 10-06-2009, 07:35 AM
dlhike
Cruiser

another alternative is to check with a local customizer on powder coating...I want to black out most of my roadster - been eye ballin the V&H duke air breather and black long shots but we're talking 600 - 800 dollars...called a local customizer he said he'd powder coat my heat shields, screamin eagle slip ons, and paint my ham can flat black this winter for $150...

Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 AM
fatguy-littlebike
Tourer

cool thanks everyone i think im goin to do it tonight after i get off work. will post pics when i get it back together

Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I painted my heat sheilds, I used krylon BBQ paint flat black. I'm selling them since I put new pipes on my bike all together. I ended up picking up a spare set of sheilds because I didn't want to screw up either (cuz I was drilling) here is how they turned out

Old 10-06-2009, 06:14 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is no problem painting heat shields the set on my bike was done 3 years ago and still look like new and the advantage of using paint is if you ever scratch them just get out the paint and give them a shot.
The only real trick is to sand them lightly with some 600 grit at the coursest and them use a good Stove Paint like Thurmalox, you have to order it on line but the stuff works great.
I used header/high temp exhaust paint for 30 years and the stuff is crap you are lucky to get a year out of the stuff before it falls off or turns colors, Thurmalox doesn't do that.

Attached Thumbnails painting heat shields-dsc02519.jpg  

Last edited by jag1886; 10-07-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:01 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I know guys that have painted their complete exhaust system with the 'high temp' flat black paint (such as the Special Purpose Krylon BBQ & Stove) and it seems to work great....

Quick Reply: painting heat shields