Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 05:44 AM
morton78
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Question

Have any of you ever "cashed in" your warranty? Ran into a guy while trying to figure out my Extended warranty issue with my rear bearing and wheel. I heard him say that he was there "cashing in" his extended warranty. Did I hear right? I mean can you do that if so I may do that myself because it isn't helping me at all! It is actually costing me more money!

Thanks

Old 10-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by morton78
Have any of you ever "cashed in" your warranty? Ran into a guy while trying to figure out my Extended warranty issue with my rear bearing and wheel. I heard him say that he was there "cashing in" his extended warranty. Did I hear right? I mean can you do that if so I may do that myself because it isn't helping me at all! It is actually costing me more money!

Thanks
By cashing in, I assume you mean selling it back to CNA (the company the handles the extended service plan.) I am in the process of selling mine back now.

So far, all I have had to do is contact the dealer that sold me the warranty, fill out a sheet of paper with my information and then confirm that I understand that by selling the warranty I will no longer have a warranty.

I am uncertain how much I am getting back, but I'll let you know when I find out.

I should point out that some dealers sell extended service plans through companies OTHER than CNA and those will have a different selling procedure and requirements.

Regarding the ESP not helping you out at all, how do you figure that? I'm no fan of CNA, but I did get *some* money out of them when my Sporty crapped the engine last summer.

Are they saying the repair isn't a warranty covered issue? Wheel bearings are covered by some dealerships and aren't by others (there's no rhyme or reason, it's just how it is) so if your dealer won't cover it, trailer that bitch to another and see what they say. Both of my wheel bearings were covered under the original (24 month) warranty.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:08 AM
morton78
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted it in another Thread, but in a nut shell. The bearing failed and is covered but the damage caused by the bearing failing is not. So I am having to buy a new rear wheel for the covered bearing to be put in to, and a new spocket that got scratched up alittle (optional). I used the engine as an example with them while fighting with them. They said that the Engine as a unit is a covered item so it would be completly fixed. But another example, if the swing arm bolt failed and damage anything else only the swing arm bolt would be replaced. The rest would be at our cost.

My service guys at the dealer tried to fight with them as well, they didn't completly agree with what was said. But couldn't do anything else.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have a Harley extended warranty you can cash it in, the only part I wouldn't know about is you have used your's so you may not be able to anymore.
I bought one for my RK when I purchased it and my money manager told me to get rid of it as 99.9% of the time they are a waste; I did cancel it and Harley sent me back all the money I had spent on it.