Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Noob Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 03:02 AM
mirage2521
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster Noob Question

My wife decided that she did not like the sound of her bike after she heard my Dyna with the SE slip-ons and A/C. SHe called the stealer we bought her bike from, it's an 06 883L and orfered herself a set os SE slip-ons and A/C. Here is my question, the parts guy told her she had to buy a download to use the pipes and a/c. I thought the download was an EFI thing only, is he selling her a load of crap? I thought there was some carb adjustments she needed, but a download? Help me out here!

Old 07-04-2006, 03:15 AM
raven28690
Cruiser
Default RE: Sportster Noob Question

I would think the download would only be for a EFI as well so im not sure what he is referring too. first i have heard of haing to do a download with those mods.

I put a Arlen Ness stage 1 A/C and Drag pipes on my 02 custom and never did any downloads.
only thing that got downloaded was my wallet size after the purchases.

Old 07-04-2006, 03:31 AM
mirage2521
Advanced

Well I am new to the Sportster way of doing things but I sure get the impression that he is selling her a line of crap. Does the 06 Sporty even have a computer to accept the download?

Old 07-04-2006, 03:56 AM
raven28690
Cruiser

come to think of it, I remember hearing some of my friends with 04 and newer sporties talking about having their ICM's reflashed due to a Bulletin so i would say your wifes does have a computer on board.

Old 07-04-2006, 05:07 AM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member

I would call another dealer just for info. Sounds alittle odd., However new pipe and new air cleaner the carb. needs to be rejetted ( I hope I got that part right). I wonder if there was a comunitcation issue there or maybe with the newer sportsters the computer needs the download? I never heard of that.

Old 07-04-2006, 06:13 AM
francos
Cruiser

Maybe the dealer ıs talkıng about the SE ıgnıtıon module ??Or actually he ıs tryıng to sell one !!!

I have 1 on my bıke , ıt makes the engıne rev to 7000 rpm and anctually there ıs a computer program ( that ı never needed )that lets you make modifications on the SE ıgnıtıon module for carbed bıkes.

I saw ıt on the SE catalog , ıt ıs to make timing and rev limit changes to 2004 later carburated models that are using SE ignition modules .

But anyway ı thınk thıs ıs for serıous racer guys so try to call another dealer for ınfo .

As far as ı know for a set of new pıpes you wıll only need a carb rejet and an aftermarket aır fılter that has more flow than stock one .

rıde safe.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:16 AM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 06 883 L and you don't need a download.If you do the slip ons and the air cleaner you will need to rejet.If you only do the slip ons I don't think you will need to.I only did the slip ons and it is still running a little rich.When I do the air cleaner I will rejet the carb.If your wife really likes the Harley sound buy the Vance and Hines ones.Then you will be embarrassed and then you will want a pair.My wife has SE 2's on her 02 and is already whining about having the V and H mine has.It's only money but shopping for add ons for two sporties at the same time is killing me.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:24 AM
brendajmull
Cruiser

Does anyone here after the cycle max slip ons? I j ust ordered apair of those of the net for 149$, I just want my bike louder than stock, I dont have alot of money to spend rightnow after putting on the windshield,, ordering anew tank, and getting my dh andmy self new riding jackets.. my son will be home from 2 years over seas and we are throwing a big bash for him that will cost us lots of money so I have to stop for a while... I hope these will be good pipes, I know they are no vance and hines,, but I dont need to be that loud,, will I need to do anything to my carb? my dh says no and so does the guy selling them.. thanks

Old 07-04-2006, 11:45 AM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just do the slip ons you should be okay as far as the fuel mixture.I don't have the cycle shacks but would expect the results to be the same as the V&H's that I have.If you don't increase the air flow to the engine the exhaust will just be louder and not change the fuel mixture.You will at some point want to replace the air filter with a high flow type,then you will need to rejet the carb.I know about the money thing,I'm trying to get two bikes where they need to be and it gets expensive.I hear the cycle shack slip ons are pretty loud by the way.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:06 PM
XL4me
Cruiser

There is a computer (computer Ignition),
but shouldn't need any "re-flash" unless there is an update required by a service bulletin.
To do a STAGE 1, you just need to re-jet (with the pipes and A/C).

Quick Reply: Sportster Noob Question